News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Bruce Lee

Started by chinnyhill10, 13:20, 19 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Not sure I'd go for the CPC for this one. Atari (the original) and C64 are much nicer. One of those games where the CPC's palette also seems to make the game a bit too garish.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Sorry but no, I cannot hear a bad word spoken about this game.

I actually like the CPC's bright colours for this, C64 just looks like a dirty screen! I guess that's all down to personal preference though.
I wasted so much time during the summer of 87 playing this game, had it as part of They Sold A Million II compilation.

The big rumour was that it had to be completed ten times to be finished totally, I'm not sure if that was ever substantiated though.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Puresox

Cpc version was far superior , the speed was better, the drop rate of Bruce was more realistic, not the horrible floatystyle of c64 and atari. The game was slightly more challenging on the cpc and worked great

remax

How can draw Bruce Lee with another color than yellow?  :P
Brain Radioactivity

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: remax on 16:42, 19 February 16
How can draw Bruce Lee with another color than yellow?  :P

Oh God!
This made me laugh... It shouldn't have, but it did...
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Zoe Robinson

The Speccy version looks really good, all things considered! :D

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 18:54, 19 February 16
The Speccy version looks really good, all things considered! :D

Nice high res graphics but the AI is off from the other versions. Speccy version ported by Ocean for US Gold!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Puresox

AI balances out across the versions , sometimes they chase you vigorously , other times they beat each other up and at other times they appear to be  investigate the lighting fixtures on the walls , seemingly doing nothing. The BBC Version runs at a super fast pace and looks horrible, I am certain they could have acheived a much better version on the system . Apple 2 also had a version which didn't seem too bad if I remember clearly .

MacDeath

CPC version despite a bit... older school even for CPC... was quite enjoyable and challenging.

Yes it was ported with coders using their feets. They didn't even tried to redo the graphics to the slightest bit beside removing some details when they couldn't find a straight palette swap to do, else approximate palette swaps.
The simple graphics come from it's original version : atari 8bit.
it would use only a Mode0 sized screen and 4 colours horizontally... yeah, some rastes had to be used to have more colours on the backgrounds, else the HardSprites added a few extra colours.

Not quite different with C64 who only tried to reproduce the game.

CPC could have used far more inks/colours I guess, or get many extra details... not sure how they ported it, does it uses graphics coded in only 2bpp ?
But basically CPC version suffered that it was at least a graphical port from systems with far different palette and video modes (beside resolution)

But managed quite well despite this.
It is the average good version actually.

It remains a viable version to play provided you have a CPC and not the other systems.
(or a speccy/MSX/etc...)

but yeah, c64 and Atari versions were great too.

One of this game's charm is the minimalistic design yet the backgrounds manage to express some asian flavour...
Was a hard platformer action with quite some difficult parts but actually not impossible level of difficulty.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: MacDeath on 02:20, 20 February 16
Was a hard platformer action with quite some difficult parts but actually not impossible level of difficulty.

I'm sorry, but I always struggled with this level. I wasted countless lives on it.
For any genius who believes this is "easily beatable", how about not singing it and showing us how it can be done.  ;) :laugh:

Puresox

If I can video properly , I'll do it  3 times in a row for you , plus backwards forwards and with my blindfold on , like a true Bruce Lee player

MacDeath

You are right, Bruce Lee was also always my favourite.

Quotethis level
what computer would get this postcard stamp sort of low resolution... 120x80... was this on GameBoy ? Atari Lynx ?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: MacDeath on 22:50, 20 February 16

what computer would get this postcard stamp sort of low resolution... 120x80... was this on GameBoy ? Atari Lynx ?

Don't look at me, I didn't capture it, it was the only image of that level that I could find on Google images. I didn't feel like playing it all the way through to that stage to make my point.  :laugh: