News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision - Green Beret

Started by chinnyhill10, 05:19, 09 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Did this after we had a spirited discussion about Green Beret on here a few months back. Only finally releasing it now as I took a Summer break.

Strongly recommend you stick around for the C16 version..........
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

robcfg

Heh, the C16 version is hilarious indeed!  :D

andycadley

Love it, brilliantly done as always. When I saw the beeb version, I thought it had sunk as low as possible but you clearly saved the best, or rather worst, for last. And lovely to see real time tape loading, it's easy to forget that back in the 16K days it wasn't actually as long and laborious a process as we perhaps remember.

Shaun M. Neary

A couple of things about the CPC version.

The amount of obsessing done about the scrolling or lack of is infuriating. The speccy version had smooth scrolling but it moved at the speed of an arthritic slug on valium! I almost fell asleep during the Speccy part of the video. That's why it was so bloody difficult. The enemy characters moved at normal pace but the one you play was walking through treacle! I'd easily take the CPC version over that despite it's ropey scrolling.

As for the power ups, they don't work on the dogs at the end of the second level. I'm not sure they even worked in the arcade version, they had to be stabbed. The trick for the speccy version is stand and stab for the dogs coming from the left, and crouch and stab for the dogs on the right. Think it was crouch and stab for both on the CPC, but it's been a while.

C16 version... why the hell were people still writing shit for the C16 in 1986? xD
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

VincentGR

CPC was a huge thing over here, even on the Amiga days CPCs where all over the stores.
This game was EVERYWHERE as a demo.
Many times both on CPC and 1512/1640 machines.

Never played though  ;D

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 10:32, 09 September 16
A couple of things about the CPC version.

The amount of obsessing done about the scrolling or lack of is infuriating. The speccy version had smooth scrolling but it moved at the speed of an arthritic slug on valium! I almost fell asleep during the Speccy part of the video. That's why it was so bloody difficult. The enemy characters moved at normal pace but the one you play was walking through treacle! I'd easily take the CPC version over that despite it's ropey scrolling.

As for the power ups, they don't work on the dogs at the end of the second level. I'm not sure they even worked in the arcade version, they had to be stabbed. The trick for the speccy version is stand and stab for the dogs coming from the left, and crouch and stab for the dogs on the right. Think it was crouch and stab for both on the CPC, but it's been a while.

C16 version... why the hell were people still writing shit for the C16 in 1986? xD

I can only say how I found it when playing it. My mate had the game around 1986 and I used to borrow it and I later had it on a complication. Scrolling didn't bother me at the time but does now. The gameplay comes to a juddering halt every time you get to the edge of the screen. I had no issues with the speed on the Spectrum at all. I still didn't enjoy it much mind.

The reason C16 stuff was still being released on the market in 1986 is because there was a significant user base. Commodore had sold all of their UK stock to a distributor who aggressively pushed out the C16 via their channels. So there was a sudden glut on the market often purchased by parents who didn't know better. Ever wondered why Mastertronic pushed out so many C16 games between '85 and '87? It was because they were making a killing on the sales thanks to them being one of the only companies releasing stuff for the system. 17 titles for the C16 in 1986. The CPC only had 20!

Although someone who is an expert on the C16 has told me the game is shoddy beyond belief with wasted memory due to sloppy code. "Probably knocked together in an afternoon" was his assessment.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: andycadley on 10:01, 09 September 16
Love it, brilliantly done as always. When I saw the beeb version, I thought it had sunk as low as possible but you clearly saved the best, or rather worst, for last. And lovely to see real time tape loading, it's easy to forget that back in the 16K days it wasn't actually as long and laborious a process as we perhaps remember.

I do admire that Novaload system you get on most C16 games. It's really quick and seems to be reliable as well. They also avoid cumbersome loading screens which would take as long to load as the game itself!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 18:03, 09 September 16

I can only say how I found it when playing it. My mate had the game around 1986 and I used to borrow it and I later had it on a complication. Scrolling didn't bother me at the time but does now. The gameplay comes to a juddering halt every time you get to the edge of the screen. I had no issues with the speed on the Spectrum at all. I still didn't enjoy it much mind.

That's a fair point, and as you said, what you had tolerance for back then, the tolerance can dip after a while. But as you also mentioned, I took the positive from it the fact that it gave me a second or two to think if I should jump, use a power up, or whatever. Compared to the arcade, it's unrealistic, but it's not the arcade I was playing. And compared to some of the dreadful flickery stuff I've seen on the CPC over the years, I just consider that to be the best of a bad bunch. I'd still take it over that colour clash on the Speccy too. It comes close to @ZEUSDAZ SGT review of Kung Fu Master on the Speccy for colour clash and blocks of colour overlapping.  :laugh:

QuoteThe reason C16 stuff was still being released on the market in 1986 is because there was a significant user base. Commodore had sold all of their UK stock to a distributor who aggressively pushed out the C16 via their channels. So there was a sudden glut on the market often purchased by parents who didn't know better. Ever wondered why Mastertronic pushed out so many C16 games between '85 and '87? It was because they were making a killing on the sales thanks to them being one of the only companies releasing stuff for the system. 17 titles for the C16 in 1986. The CPC only had 20!

Although someone who is an expert on the C16 has told me the game is shoddy beyond belief with wasted memory due to sloppy code. "Probably knocked together in an afternoon" was his assessment.

Makes sense. If there's still demand, why not supply. I got my wires crossed though, I'd forgotten the C16 came out AFTER the VIC20, and not the other way around like I initially thought. I basically thought the machine was a lot older than it was.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

mr_lou

I've played the game quite a lot recently because I needed to record my own video for 8-bit Memoirs.
It's true about the fire-button occasionally not working, which can be extremely frustrating. But despite of that, I don't find the game that difficult.
I didn't manage to complete the game, but I did reach level 4 without cheating.
(Sadly I may not be able to use that particular video due to space-limitation though....)

ivarf

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 18:06, 09 September 16

I do admire that Novaload system you get on most C16 games. It's really quick and seems to be reliable as well. They also avoid cumbersome loading screens which would take as long to load as the game itself!

Not that I believe a loading screen on the C16 uses 16kB....

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ivarf on 20:10, 09 September 16
Not that I believe a loading screen on the C16 uses 16kB....

True. I always forget that the CPC's screen is inefficient compared to the Commodore machines.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

sigh

Good reviews.

Everytime I look at the CPC version, it just gets worst and worst. I would of been happier with a speccy port.

But yeah - the C16 version was pretty terrible.

Phantomz

Nice video again @chinnyhill10 , same as always.  ;)

I used to play this game a fair bit as a child, I didn't get to far as it's way to difficult, funny enough the lack of scrolling on the amstrad didn't bother me back then, maybe you just get fussy as you get older.  :doh: :laugh:

Scarlettkitten

The weird scrolling on the cpc really does hurt the eyes and ruin the gameplay, a speccy port would have been better :/
Sophie Rose:- My musical works https://soundcloud.com/sophierosemusics

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Scarlettkitten on 15:41, 13 September 16
The weird scrolling on the cpc really does hurt the eyes and ruin the gameplay, a speccy port would have been better :/

Can't agree there at all, sluggish movement and awful colour clashing (which hurt the eyes more) on the Speccy.  :-[

ivarf

Quote from: Scarlettkitten on 15:41, 13 September 16
Never!!!!

Scarlettkitten

Looks like I'm out numbered on this one  ;)
Sophie Rose:- My musical works https://soundcloud.com/sophierosemusics

sigh

Quote from: Scarlettkitten on 00:29, 15 September 16
Looks like I'm out numbered on this one  ;)

Don't worry. I'm on your side 100%.

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:34, 14 September 16

Can't agree there at all, sluggish movement and awful colour clashing (which hurt the eyes more) on the Speccy.  :-[

Sluggish movement? Compared to the CPC? I'm not sure what youi've been watching :laugh:
The animations have a 1 frame stab and the jump on the speccy is more floaty. The scrolling on the speccy is slower and far more forgiving. I wouldn't at all call this sluggish.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: sigh on 01:26, 15 September 16
Sluggish movement? Compared to the CPC? I'm not sure what youi've been watching :laugh:
The animations have a 1 frame stab and the jump on the speccy is more floaty. The scrolling on the speccy is slower and far more forgiving. I wouldn't at all call this sluggish.

Yeah but at least everything moves a bit faster on the CPC... until you have to get the next screen, which I admit is annoying for some.
But the slower scrolling on the spectrum for me, has an awful feel to it like snails on valium.

I'm totally open to playing the same game on different formats. I did the same recently with Bruce Lee, and for me, Bruce Lee will always be King on the CPC, but I enjoyed it on the Spectrum too and found the C64 a nightmare.
I found Green Beret on the Spectrum a painful experience altogether!  :laugh:

Gryzor

I stuck around for the c`6 part and wasn't disappointed :D

The speccy graphics are very cute, gotta love those sprites!

Puresox

I'd have been ecstatic for a Speccy port in the case of Green Beret , A great game , can't see the sluggishness ??
And as for the Atari version , I think that one is dreadful . Gameplay looks horrible and presentation rushed.
The C64 version is decent .
The C16 is embarrassing and should never have been attempted. Machines with that small a memory should just stick to games that it can handle . WHich there are many. Mastertronic brought out some great games for it.
BBC version is ok but shouldn't have been attempted either.
The Amstrad version is alright when you don't judge against the original or the C64/Speccy. Nice and Colourful and graphics do the job, and I never had any issues with the hit detection or using the weapon. The Amstrad version is appealing for kids because it was fairly easy .So enjoyable in it's own right.
As always IMO.

robbarton

The best bit of the video for me is Chinny's reactions to the sprite's attacking "action" on the C16.  ;D

The reaction is genuine and not rehearsed which is what makes these videos great - I *HATE* youtube videos that / constantly / cut / because / they / have / been / edited / to / try to make them / flow / ... </old man grumbles>

P.S. I also don't mind Green Beret although I am rubbish at it, I can get past the mortar to the trucks but have never finished the first level without a cheat.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Puresox on 19:23, 20 September 16
The Amstrad version is appealing for kids because it was fairly easy .So enjoyable in it's own right.

I rarely got past level 3. Those helicopter thingys always got the better of me. I wouldn't say it was fairly easy, but it was definitely progressive.

Puresox

I suppose , to be fair , it was sort of manageable to have a reasonable game as a kid, it wasn't easy as such , but it was a game that you could keep coming back to it and making a little bit of progress.(Whereas the Speccy version was darn challenging) I remember finding getting past the Girocopters was quite an achievement. I don't think the game was just frustratingly difficult , you always felt like you could get further if you just kept your concentration and learned the patterns . I did feel impressed when I did the one loop and felt really impressed that they had managed to program the game to allow 5 characters on the screen (The first round being limited to 3 enemies plus yourself). The realization that it could manage this many sprites at the same time ,made me wonder why they hadn't made the earlier levels have a random smattering of enemies rather than the routine never more than 3 could attack you. The randomisation would have given the game less of the predictability.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Puresox on 01:10, 21 September 16I suppose , to be fair , it was sort of manageable to have a reasonable game as a kid, it wasn't easy as such , but it was a game that you could keep coming back to it and making a little bit of progress.(Whereas the Speccy version was darn challenging) I remember finding getting past the Girocopters was quite an achievement. I don't think the game was just frustratingly difficult , you always felt like you could get further if you just kept your concentration and learned the patterns . I did feel impressed when I did the one loop and felt really impressed that they had managed to program the game to allow 5 characters on the screen (The first round being limited to 3 enemies plus yourself). The realization that it could manage this many sprites at the same time ,made me wonder why they hadn't made the earlier levels have a random smattering of enemies rather than the routine never more than 3 could attack you. The randomisation would have given the game less of the predictability.

Yeah, I'll agree with a good chunk of this. I think the problem for me was, with the amount of time it took to get to the end of level 3, and fail it, I didn't really have the patience to do it all over again. It definitely wasn't frustratingly difficult, compared to Raff Cecco's insane levels of difficulty games, or even Beyond The Ice Palace, but it I still maintain that it wasn't an easy game either.

Although I won't lie, I used to take full advantage of the three enemies feature in the first level. Specifically if they were three that didn't shoot. I might give the CPC version another bash tomorrow, maybe I may finish level 3... or maybe I'll be haunted by my late 80s past.  :laugh: