News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Helter Skelter

Started by chinnyhill10, 13:08, 03 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Oh dear, the very definition of a bad Speccy port. The lack of any fluidity and the poor animation makes the game extremely difficult to play and not very enjoyable. It's fiddly enough on the systems with good animation. On the CPC it's very poor.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

||C|-|E||

It looks a bit on the sad and miserable side for a 1990 game, what can I say  :( :picard:

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 18:33, 03 March 17
It looks a bit on the sad and miserable side for a 1990 game, what can I say  :( :picard:

Colour schemes look ugly and the animation is so bad its hard to play. AA gave it 59% which is slightly on the high side.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 18:33, 03 March 17

It's actually a 1989 game too. The CPC was the last to see it hence why it got a mid 1990 release. I'm fairly certain I saw ads for it in C+VG a lot earlier.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 12:47, 05 March 17

It's actually a 1989 game too. The CPC was the last to see it hence why it got a mid 1990 release. I'm fairly certain I saw ads for it in C+VG a lot earlier.

It's quite confusing as the Speccy version has a copyright date of 1990. but several sources including WoS list it as being released in 1991.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 09:55, 06 March 17

It's quite confusing as the Speccy version has a copyright date of 1990. but several sources including WoS list it as being released in 1991.

Yeah I saw that too. Strange especially as the 8bits were winding down and it was mostly budget releases and compilations by that time.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

chinnyhill10

'91 wasn't too bad. It was '92 that the stuff really started to dry up.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Puresox

I was pleasantly surprised that this game showed up on your channel , as I had been taking another look at it only a couple of weeks back myself.  I had remembered it being really awkward and duff and revisiting it only cemented that thought. I had also checked out the BBC version and was equally dismayed , but not as much . It was a far better version but still had bad controls .
Definitely a game I will leave alone from this day forward.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 09:23, 09 March 17
'91 wasn't too bad. It was '92 that the stuff really started to dry up.

Gotta respectfully disagree on this one, Chinny.

A good number of houses were pulling out by Autumn 91 though, and the AA reviews pages were starting to get thin on the ground due to releases being slow (go look at the back issues). I also remember Virgin in Dublin pretty much getting rid of the CPC shelf to make more room for the Sega Mastersystem and NES stock.

By 92, it wasn't drying it, it had dried up in terms of retail sales anyway. At least in Ireland. The focus had shifted to consoles and 16bit.

||C|-|E||

Huuum... let me remember. I am from the north of Spain and I think that one of the last games I bought for my Amstrad was Chichen Itza, a text adventure from Aventuras AD. That was in April, after Micromania gave the game quite an insulting low score. I also bought Psyborg the same year and I think that Baby Jo, The Blues Brothers, Bumpy´s Arcade Fantasy, Lemmings, Space Crusade and Titus the Fox. Not so many, but definitely very good. However, on Christmas I joined the files of the Megadrive users and I stop playing arcades in the CPC. What can I say... Sonic and Golden Axe had greater appeal. From that moment I used the Amstrad to program things, write documents and for adventure games only  :'(

Gryzor

I had this on my 1040STFM and loved it, despite it looking like a budget or even PD release. But I had never seen the CPC version before, I think - and darn, I wish I hadn't...