News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision - Oh Mummy

Started by chinnyhill10, 20:00, 29 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

I can't resist reviewing Amsoft titles. Putting this one out as a midweek extra video rather than a Friday as I suspect its not a big enough review for the regular Friday audience.

Cheap and cheerful Spectrum version written in BASIC. Can't work out if Amstrad commissioned the Speccy version themselves (it was bundled with the +2) or if it was a pre-existing title. Conflicting sources!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Neil79

I was born with this game  :laugh:
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

CraigsBar

Quote from: Neil79 on 20:41, 29 September 15
I was born with this game  [emoji23]
Finally, the first ever CPC game I ever played. Thanks chinny ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:03, 29 September 15
Finally, the first ever CPC game I ever played. Thanks chinny ;)

Mine was Harrier Attack on a neighbours 464. Probably played Oh Mummy on the same day though. But Harrier Attack is the one burned into my memory. Not just the first CPC game I ever saw but the first home computer game I ever saw or played!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

That tune in oh mummy is the one thing that says CPC for me. The same way as the pang title music says GX4000. ;)

Carnivius

It's still a favourite of mine.  I often load it up for a quick few minutes of play regularly on my CPC, my PC and my PSP.  It's simple, uncomplicated fun and it just feels sorta nice revealing all the tombs and you get those exciting lil moments when the mummies are all around you and you just about escape.  :)

The Spectrum version though... what the heck is that?
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:15, 29 September 15
That tune in oh mummy is the one thing that says CPC for me. The same way as the pang title music says GX4000. ;)

Turns out there is also an MSX version which I didn't know about (otherwise I would have included it). Looks far closer to the CPC version than the Speccy does.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 22:32, 29 September 15

Turns out there is also an MSX version which I didn't know about (otherwise I would have included it). Looks far closer to the CPC version than the Speccy does.

If the MSX can make this reasonable-looking version, what on Earth were GEM thinking when they tossed out that Speccy monstrosity?  :o

CraigsBar

It seems the Tatung Einstein also had Oh Mummy! From the suspicious amsoft esque sounding einsoft.

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: CraigsBar on 00:04, 30 September 15
the suspicious amsoft esque sounding einsoft.

Weren't most software companies back them named [something]-soft?

I had a friend with a PD library back in the day. His surname was "Soft" and his library was "Softsoft".  :laugh:

Puresox

Supplementary to my comments on you tube page , I take your point about with respect to it being worn out once you had got skilled enough on the hardest level and at the fastest speed , the game just reaches a plateaux and you can carry on ad infinitum , well when I did it on toughest setting at speed 3 I looped it about 5 times and then gave up cos I had got bored. Still definitely holds my respect for good little memorable game as a kid .

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 00:04, 30 September 15
It seems the Tatung Einstein also had Oh Mummy! From the suspicious amsoft esque sounding einsoft.

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

Interesting.  I've often wondered how many games ended up being released on the Einstein simply because the system was often used as a development system for the Spectrum and CPC.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

reidrac

I didn't like that game back in the day (and same for Fruity Frank).

We had extra-curricula programming lessons at the school and we had 1 computer per 2 kids, so when the "play time" arrived we had to negotiate with our partner which game to play.

And my partner was that girl that would only play Oh, Mummy and Fruity Frank; and we had Commando and Target Renegade! Can you believe it? :)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

fatbob

The Einstein version is very close to the MSX version.

arnoldorroland

This, and Roland on the Ropes, are the games I always go back to partly through nostalgia for them, but mainly because they're simple games and fun to play. Perhaps that's why the new games I buy on Steam etc are simple concepts but with slightly better graphics/sound than those Amsoft games!

VincentGR

What a fantastic game.
I remember when I was a kid, my mother was waiting for me to go to school so she could play it  :picard:

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: VincentGR on 12:07, 30 September 15
I remember when I was a kid, my mother was waiting for me to go to school so she could play it  :picard:

Oh, parents playing on the "family" computer. >.<

For me it was my Dad and Way of the Exploding Fist. Couldn't get him off it. I had Ghostbusters to play, dammit!

Carnivius

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 19:01, 30 September 15

Oh, parents playing on the "family" computer. >.<

For me it was my Dad and Way of the Exploding Fist. Couldn't get him off it. I had Ghostbusters to play, dammit!

My sister and mother would hog the CPC to play Xanagrams and especially Fruit Machine.  For hours.  HOURS!!!
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

VincentGR

...and fruity frank, snake, pool  :-X

Zoe Robinson

Having heard of Fruity Frank but having never played it, I am suddenly filled with a feeling that I missed out.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 21:00, 30 September 15
Having heard of Fruity Frank but having never played it, I am suddenly filled with a feeling that I missed out.
You did, get it now [emoji6]

Puresox

Fruity Frank you should do yourself a favour , this game was a diamond , Really well produced package from the early days. Still looks and plays lovely

sigh

This game never came with my CPC so I have never played it. What I find interesting is that the lack of AI on the mummy's seem to make the gameplay work very well.

Gryzor

A game I mostly ignored when I was a kid, but came to respect in my grown up years. Very simple, very fun. For some reason.

Oh, and thanks for the lovely vid, as always!

PS Regarding the Speccy version: dafuq is this PoS? Well, it's nice for a magazine listing I guess :D