News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Outrun

Started by chinnyhill10, 11:46, 05 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

seanb

@Shaun M. Neary I remember getting a game as a child and trying to convince myself it wasn't all that bad and worth it.
For some reason those times of disappointment are good memories now.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

ukmarkh

Outrun on the CPC improves ever-so-slightly when you up the Emulator speed to 150%  ;)

Enjoyed this, thanks!

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ukmarkh on 20:29, 18 October 15
Outrun on the CPC improves ever-so-slightly when you up the Emulator speed to 150%  ;)

Enjoyed this, thanks!

The Spectrum version is actually quite good if you up the speed but obviously that's masking the poor coding to begin with.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

||C|-|E||

Terrible and crappy game. I also fell for it and got cheated  :( . I perfectly remember the case (not so difficult, I still have the game at home). It came with two tapes, one for the game, one for the music. There was also a document inside suggesting me to reproduce the music while playing  :picard2: :picard2: . OMG, even the 9 year old me hated the game since the very first moment and, moreover, I had spent all my money in that crap.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: seanb on 11:27, 17 October 15
@Shaun M. Neary I remember getting a game as a child and trying to convince myself it wasn't all that bad and worth it.
For some reason those times of disappointment are good memories now.

When you wait so long for a release, the amount of shit you put up with is insane.
I remember thinking the slow down of the 64K Double Dragon was worth it for the "good graphics"...

Then I saw the 128k version...
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Zoe Robinson

Double Dragon was one of those games where I'd played it in the arcade, played it on my cousin's Speccy and then got a copy for myself. My friends were all impressed by the graphics but I hated the game for being so ridiculously slow. It's one of the few times where I really, really longed for a speccy port.

remax

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 14:07, 31 October 15
Double Dragon was one of those games where I'd played it in the arcade, played it on my cousin's Speccy and then got a copy for myself. My friends were all impressed by the graphics but I hated the game for being so ridiculously slow. It's one of the few times where I really, really longed for a speccy port.

64ko or 128 ko?
Brain Radioactivity

Zoe Robinson

Back then, 64k version.

dodogildo

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 14:07, 31 October 15
My friends were all impressed by the graphics but I hated the game for being so ridiculously slow.
That was what happened to me countless times with my CPC games. Getting first excited with awesome screenshots on the Amstrad Action pages then disappointed when I finally got myself a copy.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

M'enfin!

arnoldemu

Quote from: remax on 15:00, 31 October 15

64ko or 128 ko?
"incredibly slow" sounds like the 64kb version.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Puresox

Sounds like the Spanish version!?

The which is completely  different and completely crap.
The only problem with the 'Good Version' is the poor palette decisions.
Plays really well other than that   

ukmarkh

If you think Double Dragon is slow... Play Double Dragon 3  :picard:

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: dodogildo on 00:51, 01 November 15That was what happened to me countless times with my CPC games. Getting first excited with awesome screenshots on the Amstrad Action pages then disappointed when I finally got myself a copy.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Funny you mentioned this, as I'm in the middle of reading the US Gold book and one of their tricks of the trade was that they'd get some of the girls on their marketing team to bring the reviewers out on the piss and persuade them into giving shit games bad reviews. Maybe they were't the only ones in on that tactic.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

dodogildo

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 02:56, 04 November 15

Funny you mentioned this, as I'm in the middle of reading the US Gold book .

Curious about the book, what's its name?
M'enfin!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: dodogildo on 03:20, 04 November 15
Curious about the book, what's its name?

The Story of U.S Gold by Chris Wilkins & Roger Kean

The Story of U.S. Gold

Excerpt:

"The most important person at US Gold so far as the magazines were concerned was Danielle Woodyatt, universally known as Woody. She was the press interface, and whether the game was great or a disaster, it was Woody who went out to wow the universally young male reviewing teams.

Tim (Chaney) says, and adds with something of a wink, 'and Woody looked after them well, particularly Julian Rignall and Gary Penn who were incredibly influential at the time. Geoff (Brown) was equally aware of his secret weapon. 'Woody was crazy! She could drink more than any guy. She was a great PR person. All the guys fancied her.' "[/size]

Puresox

I want to see this Woody lass, I expect she gave all the lads a good Woody by the sounds of her,sounds an attractive girl.
(This said with a heavy dose of good ol' 80's retro sexism thrown in for good measure) 

seanb

I doubt she was that attractive.
Its not as if she's having to win over film stars.

Still very shady on behalf of the reviewers.
That's what we paid for when younger and buying their magazines to be reading lies by sellouts.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Puresox on 17:37, 04 November 15
I want to see this Woody lass, I expect she gave all the lads a good Woody by the sounds of her,sounds an attractive girl.
(This said with a heavy dose of good ol' 80's retro sexism thrown in for good measure)

For 1987, she wasn't bad.
But yeah, go buy the book, you ain't getting mine!  :laugh:

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: seanb on 23:43, 04 November 15
I doubt she was that attractive.
Its not as if she's having to win over film stars.

Still very shady on behalf of the reviewers.
That's what we paid for when younger and buying their magazines to be reading lies by sellouts.

Oh please, it's a classic case of what we know now as opposed to what we know then. Media was always corrupt, still is to this day.

A lot of the news channels that are funded by the state, therefore you get the state run spin.
Radio, ESPECIALLY in the 80s was rife with payola.
Software marketing the same.

This is business, and believe it or not, people go into business... to make money.
I'm not saying it's right, but it's smart.

seanb

This is hardly the same as Fox News etc.
We're talking about a special interest and people who are supposed to be in it because they are fans themselves.

Of course we expect a bit of "pressure"  or a gift here and there for a more favourable review but to whore themselves out more than the bit of totty thrown their way and completely lie about a game and not even get something tangible at the end is beyond dishonest and stupid.

I hope she played them and never gave anything up for it because they deserve it for being such pathetic and easily manipulated fools.

There was zero reason for them to fall for this ploy. They sold themselves out.

The readers on the other hand didn't deserve their down and out lies.

seanb

Also we aren't talking about adults here.
The reviews were aimed at and most of the people buying a lot of the games were teens and younger.

They were largely shortchanging children.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: seanb on 17:00, 10 November 15
This is hardly the same as Fox News etc.
We're talking about a special interest and people who are supposed to be in it because they are fans themselves.

Of course we expect a bit of "pressure"  or a gift here and there for a more favourable review but to whore themselves out more than the bit of totty thrown their way and completely lie about a game and not even get something tangible at the end is beyond dishonest and stupid.

I hope she played them and never gave anything up for it because they deserve it for being such pathetic and easily manipulated fools.

There was zero reason for them to fall for this ploy. They sold themselves out.

The readers on the other hand didn't deserve their down and out lies.

This is hilarious.

1) The amount of people who have jumped the conclusions that the marketing staff slept with the reviewers is rather pathetic. I'd say it's more that she took them out and got them pissed, rather than got them laid. That's their job, they're PR, marketers. Not whores.

2) Selling out isn't exactly an insult. Everyone does it. People like money! They like to be able to keep their jobs, pay their bills, etc.

3) It's just a video game review from 1987. No need to feel played just because you were a child then, we all were. Put it behind you and move on.  :laugh:

4) Are you going to complain about your parents lying to you about Santa Claus & the Easter Bunny? Kids are lied to all the time, it's part of being a kid in the first place! (Strictly spoken as someone who was once a child, so I've plenty of experience in that department  ;D )

seanb

I never said she slept with them.
I was quite clear about that but didn't want to rule it out as you never know.

They are selling out if someone stroking their ego is enough for them to give a bad game a good review.
Selling out doesn't have to mean money you know.
I was quote clear when I said if they didn't get something for it then they are pathetic and stupid.

Don't know how you've managed to jump to father christmas and the easter bunny but as you was complaining about buying bad games before you obviously never moved on yourself.

Keep making more of my comments if you wish but if you're going to ignore what I wrote and then quote me I suggest you ignore them.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: seanb on 17:16, 10 November 15
I never said she slept with them.
I was quite clear about that but didn't want to rule it out as you never know.

They are selling out if someone stroking their ego is enough for them to give a bad game a good review.
Selling out doesn't have to mean money you know.
I was quote clear when I said if they didn't get something for it then they are pathetic and stupid.

Don't know how you've managed to jump to father christmas and the easter bunny but as you was complaining about buying bad games before you obviously never moved on yourself.

Keep making more of my comments if you wish but if you're going to ignore what I wrote and then quote me I suggest you ignore them.

Keep your hair on. The only reason I'm hitting the quote button is so that people know (including yourself) that it's you that I'm responding to. Believe it or not, sometimes another response does appear from time to time in mid post, and it's easier this way rather than re-editing the post.

1) Never said you in particular, just going on the general reaction of that particular topic. Although by using the terms "I hope she played them" and "Didn't give them anything", you are insinuating it, regardless if you're aware of it. Your words, not mine.  ;)

2) Of course it's ego. If you think games reviewing for mid to late teens in the 80s was for glory, glamour and riches, then you'd be sorely mistaken. Media has always been abused in terms of little to non payment. Again, the selling out comment insinuates money, again, your words and not mine.

3) Santa and the easter bunny are parents essentially feeding their kids bullshit to sell an illusion, A reviewer over-inflating a game and stretching the truth, to me are one in the same. And reviewing is subjective anyway. One's poison is anothers pleasure.

4) I hardly complained about buying a bad game. I never really went on games by reviews. I was an arcade fiend, so I'd buy mostly arcade or movie conversions. Sometimes conversions were good, sometimes they were shit. That applied on all formats, it was the nature of the beast. I knew that then and I knew that now. So there's nothing to really move on from in that respect, wouldn't you agree?  ::)

In closing, given that I've pretty much addressed all that you've written, I'm hardly ignoring any of your comments. If I was, we wouldn't still be back and forthing now, would we?  ;)

seanb

If you keep misinterpreting my comments its pointless to continue but I will say when you quote someone that means that's the person you're responding to and when you reference a comment that person made only confirms that.

You clearly don't understand what I'm saying and therefore this is pointless so I'll ask that you don't reference my comments in this thread alone anymore incase others don't understand because they're going of your interpretation.

I can't keep explaining them only for you to continue with your interpretation :picard2: unless you are twisting them deliberately which I really don't want to believe.