News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Pang

Started by chinnyhill10, 13:27, 11 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Sadly I had to use emulation for the GX4000 (for reasons well known around these parts) but I devoted a good large section of the video to it:

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Carnivius

Why was there no Pang on regular CPC?   I'm not a massive fan of the game but I remember being annoyed I couldn't buy it on 464  when even the Spectrum got it.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Dizrythmia

No mention of Zap T Balls? :)

One element that bothers me about the GX4000 version is the fact that the game automatically starts. You plug it in, turn it on, the title screen appears & BANG! You're in the game without even pushing a button. Other than that it's total quality & even my fiancee loves it!!

dthrone

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 14:17, 11 September 15

One element that bothers me about the GX4000 version is the fact that the game automatically starts. You plug it in, turn it on, the title screen appears & BANG! You're in the game without even pushing a button. Other than that it's total quality & even my fiancee loves it!!

Only the Trade-in-Post beta version auto-starts.  The retail version has a demo you have to skip.

Dizrythmia

Interesting. What are the main differences between the versions?

CraigsBar

Backdrops, the startup sequence, some powerups etc.... Get the retail one, it is much better.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 14:17, 11 September 15

No, because it's crap.  :D

Seriously, it's a poor Pang rip off that is vastly over-rated. It's like supermarket cola v the "real thing".

And my version of Pang never auto started (and many of you are playing my version if you downloaded it  ;D )
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: dthrone on 14:21, 11 September 15

Only the Trade-in-Post beta version auto-starts.  The retail version has a demo you have to skip.

Any other differences in the Beta?
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Dizrythmia

Quote from: CraigsBar on 14:51, 11 September 15
Backdrops, the startup sequence, some powerups etc.... Get the retail one, it is much better.
Just have to find a copy... That's the difficult bit. How did a BETA even get released through Trade In Post?

CraigsBar

Dunno! I bought the retail one for my 6128+ and have loved it ever since. It's an awesome game.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 15:12, 11 September 15
Just have to find a copy... That's the difficult bit. How did a BETA even get released through Trade In Post?
It's on cpc-power and @xyphoe 's gx4000 website, and nvg ftp. The retail one is not hard to find really.

Dizrythmia

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:20, 11 September 15
It's on cpc-power and @xyphoe 's gx4000 website, and nvg ftp. The retail one is not hard to find really.
I meant an original cartridge as opposed to using my C4CPC :)

Carnivius

Cannon Ball / Bubble Buster for Spectrum that predates Pang  :)

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

CraigsBar

Oh. Erm. Rare as hens teeth. Not selling mine sorry.

Dizrythmia

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 15:07, 11 September 15

No, because it's crap.  :D

Seriously, it's a poor Pang rip off that is vastly over-rated. It's like supermarket cola v the "real thing".
True, but I thought it was interesting when it was released. At the time it felt very demo-ey with the graphics as they were.

Carnivius

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 15:28, 11 September 15
True, but I thought it was interesting when it was released. At the time it felt very demo-ey with the graphics as they were.

All I remember about it was that it was extremely pink, hard to see the sprites from the backdrops, and the main character looked too much like Rainbow Islands/Parasol Stars sprite.  :)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Carnivac on 15:25, 11 September 15
Cannon Ball / Bubble Buster for Spectrum that predates Pang  :)

But hey that looks better than the awful flat balls that the C64 has. So pleased that the plus/gx got decent graphics on pang.

dthrone

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 15:07, 11 September 15

Any other differences in the Beta?

Mine has jumps straight into the game, has the alternative background for Mt Fuji, the plane sprite is messed up and no backgrounds from Australia onwards.  I assume they're all the same.  There are a few previous discussions on this from some time ago.  I think the Trade-in-Post carts were ex-store demo, so the Pang cartridge probably got pushed out for promo purposes before it was complete.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Carnivac on 15:40, 11 September 15
All I remember about it was that it was extremely pink, hard to see the sprites from the backdrops, and the main character looked too much like Rainbow Islands/Parasol Stars sprite.  :)

The ball/balloon physics are absolutely abysmal. I tried it again the other week in case I needed to mention it for the Pang review. I decided not to as it wouldn't add anything. Graphics are messy, ball physics are awful and its no fun at all.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 18:36, 11 September 15

The ball/balloon physics are absolutely abysmal. I tried it again the other week in case I needed to mention it for the Pang review. I decided not to as it wouldn't add anything. Graphics are messy, ball physics are awful and its no fun at all.
I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks that ;)

Phantomz

Good video yet again @chinnyhill10  :D

I agree, Pang is a fantastic game for the GX4000 / PLUS

It sounds like you have been very unlucky with your past consoles, saying that, I think you should get another.  ;D

Just make an offer on one of those new old stock one's on ebay, nice to get a new old system cheap while you can, I picked one up not long ago for £30

The power supply that comes with it is the Spanish version I believe, but like you said, you need to buy a good power supply so your system doesn't get fried.

I think it's a great time to get a GX4000, if you get the C4CPC from Gerald, then you will be able to play Pang and all the other games released on original hardware again.  :)

Also you will be able to play all the new converted games that myself and other's have done.  ;)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Phantomz on 21:26, 12 September 15
Good video yet again @chinnyhill10  :D

I agree, Pang is a fantastic game for the GX4000 / PLUS

It sounds like you have been very unlucky with your past consoles, saying that, I think you should get another.  ;D

Just make an offer on one of those new old stock one's on ebay, nice to get a new old system cheap while you can, I picked one up not long ago for £30

The power supply that comes with it is the Spanish version I believe, but like you said, you need to buy a good power supply so your system doesn't get fried.

I think it's a great time to get a GX4000, if you get the C4CPC from Gerald, then you will be able to play Pang and all the other games released on original hardware again.  :)

Also you will be able to play all the new converted games that myself and other's have done.  ;)
Or if not a gx, How about another Crowd funding for ChinnyVision, We in the CPCWiki community buy and donate a Plus machine for the benefit of the channel. I'd donate 10 or 20 depending on the number of funders (Although it's have to wait for payday LOL)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Phantomz on 21:26, 12 September 15

You are basically trying to get a recovering alcoholic to have another drink.  ;D
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:19, 12 September 15

You are basically trying to get a recovering alcoholic to have another drink.  ;D
Naaaa, A GX is only bad for your wealth, not your health ;)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:36, 12 September 15
Or if not a gx, How about another Crowd funding for ChinnyVision, We in the CPCWiki community buy and donate a Plus machine for the benefit of the channel. I'd donate 10 or 20 depending on the number of funders (Although it's have to wait for payday LOL)

I did experiment with crowd funding a while back but it didn't go well. I set up a Patreon but it got a bad reaction so I quickly dropped the idea (I felt bad about doing it to begin with). Also someone kindly sent me an ST which solved the problem I was having at the time not being able to cover ST games.

I run the channel for pleasure. To share games I like, to discover new games myself and showcase a few stinkers. And to do this while we can still use the original gear. I won't run adverts on the channel because they are irritating for viewers and the revenue benefit doesn't outweigh the annoyance factor.

A Plus would be lovely but we all know how costly they are. Ironically back in the early 2000's I knew of someone selling new Plus machines for about 30 quid a time (no monitor) and got one for a friend for his birthday. Should have got one myself but I was short of space at the time. Such is life!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube