News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Pang

Started by chinnyhill10, 13:27, 11 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

I currently have 4 plus machines here 2 of each flavour. If I could guarantee that I was not going to have any failures I'd donate one. I'll keep an eye on the Irish auction sites and buy one if I see it for a reasonable price ;) it seems silly to have to emulate one system when the quality suffers as a result. I have pang and can confirm it is silky smooth.
Thanks for the excellent work on the channel I love your videos and if I can help, I will.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:59, 12 September 15
I currently have 4 plus machines here 2 of each flavour. If I could guarantee that I was not going to have any failures I'd donate one. I'll keep an eye on the Irish auction sites and buy one if I see it for a reasonable price ;) it seems silly to have to emulate one system when the quality suffers as a result. I have pang and can confirm it is silky smooth.
Thanks for the excellent work on the channel I love your videos and if I can help, I will.

Cheers. That's very good of you. I do try to keep the CPC coverage up as the CPC is the system I owned and used the longest as my main machine (and I was a full on CPC fanboy at school and I guess I still am). It was also the first computer I ever used (a friend got a 464 early 1985). The knowledge I have from all those years hopefully helps breaks down some misconceptions about the machine.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

mr_lou

The real CPC gives 50 fps you say.
Why should that give a jerky movement in an emulator? Aren't emulators able to produce 50 fps too?

Granted, the YouTube video is only 25 fps which of course will give jerkiness. Can't you upload 50 fps vids to YouTube and then get a smooth result equal to that of the emulator which is equal to that of the real CPC?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: mr_lou on 11:28, 13 September 15
The real CPC gives 50 fps you say.
Why should that give a jerky movement in an emulator? Aren't emulators able to produce 50 fps too?

Granted, the YouTube video is only 25 fps which of course will give jerkiness. Can't you upload 50 fps vids to YouTube and then get a smooth result equal to that of the emulator which is equal to that of the real CPC?

ChinnyVision has been 50 fps since November of last year. From REAL hardware for nearly every machine covered. However I don't own a GX or Plus.

I don't really have the time or inclination to mess around with emulators trying to get them to output a perfect 50 FPS signal. It's not what the channel is about. All the time, effort and money goes into the real stuff. That involves expensive capture hardware and multiple setups (for example if I go from a Atari ST and then use a CPC I have to do a total rewire and swap kit over).  On the very rare occasion I use emulation it's captured straight from the emulator itself (e.g. when my MSX refused to load Continental Circus the other week)

However Winape does not output video that is usable for my purposes so I have to use a separate screen capture utility and then post-sync the audio. It's fiddly, annoying and drops frames. I can't do much about it and in the grand scheme of things there are hundreds of channels showing emulated footage and only one that shows such a wide variety of machines from real hardware at 50fps at the highest quality possible.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

mr_lou

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 17:38, 13 September 15
ChinnyVision has been 50 fps since November of last year. From REAL hardware for nearly every machine covered. However I don't own a GX or Plus.

Well I haven't checked other videos, but this one is 25 fps. Then it doesn't matter if it was recorded with 50 fps.

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 17:38, 13 September 15
However Winape does not output video that is usable for my purposes so I have to use a separate screen capture utility and then post-sync the audio. It's fiddly, annoying and drops frames.

Ok that explains it.
I'm pretty sure WinAPE saves a video in 50 fps. But obviously if using another screen recorder, there's no sync between those two applications and frames will be dropped.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: mr_lou on 18:07, 13 September 15
Well I haven't checked other videos, but this one is 25 fps. Then it doesn't matter if it was recorded with 50 fps.

The Pang video is 50PS. See below. The GX4000 version may have dropped frames but all the capture from real hardware is 50FPS and the edit was 50FPS.

[attachimg=1]
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

mr_lou

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:16, 13 September 15
The Pang video is 50PS. See below. The GX4000 version may have dropped frames but all the capture from real hardware is 50FPS and the edit was 50FPS.

Ok that's weird. I don't get those options here.
I get 360p as the only choice. I can't select a 720p video with 50fps.

I downloaded the video with youtube-dl for Linux, which gives me a 1280x720 resolution video with 25 fps.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: mr_lou on 19:37, 13 September 15
Ok that's weird. I don't get those options here.
I get 360p as the only choice. I can't select a 720p video with 50fps.

I downloaded the video with youtube-dl for Linux, which gives me a 1280x720 resolution video with 25 fps.

Not sure what is going on but it is 50fps. Just double checked to ensure Youtube hadn't missed it up and the C64 sprites are as smooth as you'd expect.

Suggest another computer, browser or operating system. Not sure why the downloader doesn't work but I suspect it isn't officially supported. Sorry.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

mr_lou

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 20:21, 13 September 15
Suggest another computer, browser or operating system. Not sure why the downloader doesn't work but I suspect it isn't officially supported. Sorry.

Yea, trying with Opera and Chromium everything is fine. 720p 50fps is selected automatically and a lot of other options too.
Apparently a Firefox problem then. (This browser is increasingly disappointing).

Downloaded latest version of youtube-dl but it's still only 25 fps when downloading, so you're probably right there too.

I should just mention that I'm not looking to download anything. I only did that to check the framerate because I couldn't believe it was 50 fps as you wrote. And it wasn't either, but it was Firefox' fault - mixed with a youtube-dl flaw or incompatibility.

Mystery solved.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: mr_lou on 21:27, 13 September 15
Yea, trying with Opera and Chromium everything is fine. 720p 50fps is selected automatically and a lot of other options too.
Apparently a Firefox problem then. (This browser is increasingly disappointing).

Downloaded latest version of youtube-dl but it's still only 25 fps when downloading, so you're probably right there too.

I should just mention that I'm not looking to download anything. I only did that to check the framerate because I couldn't believe it was 50 fps as you wrote. And it wasn't either, but it was Firefox' fault - mixed with a youtube-dl flaw or incompatibility.

Mystery solved.

Cool. I went 50FPS as soon as Youtube made it available to me. Although the titles remain 25fps (in a 50FPS timeline) as that was a deliberate decision. Looked wrong at 50fps.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

gerald

Quote from: mr_lou on 21:27, 13 September 15
[ot]
On windows, 720p50Hz is available with Firefox (40.0.3).
On Linux (ESR 38.2.1), only auto and 360.

More Linux+firefox than a firefox alone issue.
[/ot]

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:36, 12 September 15
Or if not a gx, How about another Crowd funding for ChinnyVision, We in the CPCWiki community buy and donate a Plus machine for the benefit of the channel. I'd donate 10 or 20 depending on the number of funders (Although it's have to wait for payday LOL)
OK, I found a 464plus (and games) for a reasonable price

About 75 euro, I'll pay 25 and the postage of the keyboard to chinnyvision if anyone can add the rest?

Go on, you know you want to.... Then we get gx4000 games captured properly, maybe even a chinnyvision episode on the excellent c4cpc ;)

Gryzor

€15 from me, anyone else?

CraigsBar

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:17, 19 September 15
€15 from me, anyone else?
I bought one for chinnyvision yesterday. 464plus, colour screen (which will replace my dim one as chinny does not want it) once it arrives here and I test it, I'll be posting the computer (and a bonus pro tennis tour cart) to chinny. Hopefully we will get decent gx capture soon.

Gryzor

Aw, that's nice...

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:59, 16 September 15
OK, I found a 464plus (and games) for a reasonable price

About 75 euro, I'll pay 25 and the postage of the keyboard to chinnyvision if anyone can add the rest?

Go on, you know you want to.... Then we get gx4000 games captured properly, maybe even a chinnyvision episode on the excellent c4cpc ;)

This is really good of you. I'm ordering up an RGB cable so I can get capturing.

I'll look into getting a C4CPC. Away from home at the mo but I'll re-read the thread and will get onto it as I'll need to get one.

Cheers.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Update - RGB cable ordered. Fingers crossed I can capture from the beast when it arrives (long time viewers will know I struggled with the RGB out from the Speccy for a long time and still can't do MSX RGB although that might be an issue with my MSX).

Power supply is the same as a standard CPC isn't it? 5v positive tip. My 6128 has a 3 amp supply which should be more than enough.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:29, 19 September 15

This is really good of you. I'm ordering up an RGB cable so I can get capturing.

I'll look into getting a C4CPC. Away from home at the mo but I'll re-read the thread and will get onto it as I'll need to get one.

Cheers.
It's not all me, @fatbob just donated 25 euro to my PayPal account towards the 120 the machine cost me.

Craig

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:39, 19 September 15
Update - RGB cable ordered. Fingers crossed I can capture from the beast when it arrives (long time viewers will know I struggled with the RGB out from the Speccy for a long time and still can't do MSX RGB although that might be an issue with my MSX).

Power supply is the same as a standard CPC isn't it? 5v positive tip. My 6128 has a 3 amp supply which should be more than enough.
yes the power supply is identical to the CPC range. The monitor din socket is also the same functionality (just with 2 extra pins for the audio channels)

I made an adaptor for the plus to ctm 644 when my first cm14 went pop.
If I can find it I'll pack it in too, so you can capture in the exact same way as the CPC.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:40, 19 September 15
It's not all me, @fatbob just donated 25 euro to my PayPal account towards the 120 the machine cost me.

Craig

That's really good of him as he helped out before with an ST. Feeling quite humbled here that people enjoy the videos. I just knock 'em out hoping people might watch!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:45, 19 September 15
yes the power supply is identical to the CPC range. The monitor din socket is also the same functionality (just with 2 extra pins for the audio channels)

I made an adaptor for the plus to ctm 644 when my first cm14 went pop.
If I can find it I'll pack it in too, so you can capture in the exact same way as the CPC.

Cheers. The cable I've ordered is from Retro Computer Shack which is the same place I got my CPC one.

A few months back I thought I'd found a capture solution that worked for everything but the CPC and the Megadrive won't play ball so they require a total rewire of the setup when I use them.

It's all down to the RGB to component stage (I have to capture as component). I have a fancy pants Pioneer DVD recorder that will do it for me live straight into the capture card, but it simply refuses to accept the CPC's signal. However I have a Panasonic that will work with the CPC (but not a load of other machines). So I end up juggling machines and cables.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 22:18, 19 September 15

Cheers. The cable I've ordered is from Retro Computer Shack which is the same place I got my CPC one.

A few months back I thought I'd found a capture solution that worked for everything but the CPC and the Megadrive won't play ball so they require a total rewire of the setup when I use them.

It's all down to the RGB to component stage (I have to capture as component). I have a fancy pants Pioneer DVD recorder that will do it for me live straight into the capture card, but it simply refuses to accept the CPC's signal. However I have a Panasonic that will work with the CPC (but not a load of other machines). So I end up juggling machines and cables.
I won't bust a gut in trying to find it then. Do you have pro tennis tour on cart? If not I'll bundle a copy of that in with the bundle. I have 3 or 4 spare that I bought as donor carts, but now the c4cpc exists, I don't need them any more!

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:44, 19 September 15
I won't bust a gut in trying to find it then. Do you have pro tennis tour on cart? If not I'll bundle a copy of that in with the bundle. I have 3 or 4 spare that I bought as donor carts, but now the c4cpc exists, I don't need them any more!

No carts here at all. After my carts were copied I moved house and as I no longer had a GX they all went in a big bin (after all I now had digital copies) along with my original and very worn out 6128 (should have kept the chips but this was 2001 and CPC's were very cheap and easily available).
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Puresox

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 22:12, 19 September 15

That's really good of him as he helped out before with an ST. Feeling quite humbled here that people enjoy the videos. I just knock 'em out hoping people might watch!

You do realise YOU are their   slave now ! ;D

chinnyhill10

Just had a PM from Gerald asking which version of the cart I need. The options are:

If you intend to use the card with a 6128/464 plus,  select which system cartridge to be installed in cart slot 0 from the list :     English original     English patched (Amsdos, without start menu)     English with ParaDos

I assume I'll need the original version as that will boot to some sort of menu? I assume the menu version can also exit to AMSDOS?
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube