News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Pang

Started by chinnyhill10, 13:27, 11 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

andycadley

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 10:23, 20 September 15
Just had a PM from Gerald asking which version of the cart I need. The options are:

If you intend to use the card with a 6128/464 plus,  select which system cartridge to be installed in cart slot 0 from the list :     English original     English patched (Amsdos, without start menu)     English with ParaDos

I assume I'll need the original version as that will boot to some sort of menu? I assume the menu version can also exit to AMSDOS?

The difference is whether you get the menu to choose between Basic and Burnin' Rubber at start up or whether it just goes straight into basic (you can still start Burnin' Rubber with |game).

Whichever you choose you can change your mind later by just changing files on the SD card.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: andycadley on 10:29, 20 September 15
The difference is whether you get the menu to choose between Basic and Burnin' Rubber at start up or whether it just goes straight into basic (you can still start Burnin' Rubber with |game).

Whichever you choose you can change your mind later by just changing files on the SD card.

Ah thank you. I was assuming it booted to some kind of game menu to begin with not the standard Plus menu.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

gerald

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 10:53, 20 September 15

Ah thank you. I was assuming it booted to some kind of game menu to begin with not the standard Plus menu.
That's when you select the CprSelect cartridge.
The card allow direct access to 16 cards (slots), selected by dip switches.
One of these (slot 15) is CprSelect which gives access to cpr stored anywhere on the SD card.
The question about which system you prefer in slot 0 is just to prepare the card for you  ;)

CraigsBar

Quote from: gerald on 11:01, 20 September 15
That's when you select the CprSelect cartridge.
The card allow direct access to 16 cards (slots), selected by dip switches.
One of these (slot 15) is CprSelect which gives access to cpr stored anywhere on the SD card.
The question about which system you prefer in slot 0 is just to prepare the card for you  ;)
In my plus i have a patched version of of the stock cart, so a couple of bugs are fixed, and all 32 roms are initialised. But I also have fw3.15 and paradox in cart slot 1, so dip switch 1 toggles between fw3.15 and stock.

On the c4cpc in the gx4000 I leave it defaulting to slot 15 and use the game selector all the time. Just confirming the cart selector works on the plus as well.

I'll test your plus with both setups before I post it on.

Craig.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CraigsBar

OK the 464plus for chinnyhill arrived with me this morning. I quickly tested it before heading to work. All looks good ;) I do not even have to replace the membrane. Which is a shock to be honest.

It's a little yellowed, but not that ugly 'Amiga brown' shade.

I'll load some tapes and post it on by the weekend (rwc2015 permitting)

Craig

Bryce

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:39, 19 September 15
Update - RGB cable ordered. Fingers crossed I can capture from the beast when it arrives (long time viewers will know I struggled with the RGB out from the Speccy for a long time and still can't do MSX RGB although that might be an issue with my MSX).

Power supply is the same as a standard CPC isn't it? 5v positive tip. My 6128 has a 3 amp supply which should be more than enough.

The CPC PSU connectors are almost the same, but not identical. The polarity is the same and both are 5.5mm ring plugs, but the hole in the centre is 2.1mm on a classic CPC and 2.5mm on a Plus so the classic PSU connector won't fit on a plus.

Regarding RGB on the Spectrum. I have a schematic done for an idea to solve this, haven't built one yet, but I'll let you know when I do. Haven't tried MSX on RGB, but I'll give it a try and see if mine has problems.

Bryce.

Puresox

I wonder if the Blowing up problem will be unjinxed , hope so .

CraigsBar

Quote from: Puresox on 15:03, 22 September 15
I wonder if the Blowing up problem will be unjinxed , hope so .
Me too.

OK Update.
opened up the 464plus, since one screw and one peg were missing clearly not the first person to open this one!

The membrane looks brand spanking new :) But whoever changed it broke the black back board for the keys, so the number 4 was wobbling around like a nodding dog.

So I swapped over the keys with different functions with my spare (French) layout keyboard and then moved the back and keys onto the apparently new membrane and aluminium backing.

Retest - All fine, all keys work
All labels correct

next test the tape drive.

Load KwikSnax - Yep working

Test supplied controllers...

Pad - Down does nto work, Up Left, Right and both buttons fine
Cheetah 125+ Up does not work, Left right and down and buttons fine

OK

Pad - Stripped down, clean the gunge from all contacts and rubbers. Reassemble and test - Pad all OK
Cheetah 125+ - Stripped downs and cleaned all contacts and leaf springs. Now working. OK someone has been in here before as well, as the autofire switch is not gonna work on the amstrad (Nothing new there) but on this one, as the whole switch is missing and has been replaced by a dab of superglue to hold the button the joystick chassis it ain't never gonna work LOL.

So everything I will be sending over to Chinny is tested and working - Now to convert Stryker from CDT to a real tape so I can test load that and I just have to pack it up and post it.

Craig

[/size][size=78%] [/size]

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 11:55, 22 September 15
The CPC PSU connectors are almost the same, but not identical. The polarity is the same and both are 5.5mm ring plugs, but the hole in the centre is 2.1mm on a classic CPC and 2.5mm on a Plus so the classic PSU connector won't fit on a plus.

Regarding RGB on the Spectrum. I have a schematic done for an idea to solve this, haven't built one yet, but I'll let you know when I do. Haven't tried MSX on RGB, but I'll give it a try and see if mine has problems.

Bryce.

Will this do? It's 'medical grade apparently so presumably if its good enough for hospitals its good enough for a Plus.  :D

DA12-050UK-M | 5V dc, 1 Output, Switch Mode, Plug In Power Supply, 2A, 10W,
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 22:12, 22 September 15

So everything I will be sending over to Chinny is tested and working - Now to convert Stryker from CDT to a real tape so I can test load that and I just have to pack it up and post it.

Craig

Getting a bit excited about this. It's a bit like Christmas!  :D
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

Don't use Switchmode PSU's, get a regulated one. Cheapest at Amazon.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

chinnyhill10

Quote from: TFM on 23:03, 22 September 15

What do you mean a "regulated" one? The one I linked to is a medical grade switched mode REGULATED supply. Did you read the specification?

If you are suggesting I should go and buy some cheap Chinese rubbish from Amazon then, no, that won't be happening. Whenever I buy PSU's for any old my old computers and consoles I always use RS because they are a reputable supplier who supply data sheets and certificates of conformity. Not only peace of mind for my equipment but also peace of mine I won't be electrocuted or my house will burn down.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

gerald

Quote from: TFM on 23:03, 22 September 15
I assume you talk about linear regulated PSU. Unless you make it yourself, good luck finding a new one on the market  ;)

gerald

Carnivius

This topic has gotten a bit too techy and dull.  Talk about Pang some more.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

arnoldemu

Quote from: Carnivac on 08:18, 23 September 15
This topic has gotten a bit too techy and dull.  Talk about Pang some more.
it's got some coloured balls, and you have to split them with a harpoon...  :laugh:
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Carnivius

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:53, 23 September 15
it's got some coloured balls, and you have to split them with a harpoon...  :laugh:

Ah yes but was it ever decided  on whether they were balls, balloons or bubbles or even some kind of sentient alien life form?   These are important issues the world must come together and find an answer for!
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

gerald

Quote from: Carnivac on 10:16, 23 September 15
Ah yes but was it ever decided  on whether they were balls, balloons or bubbles or even some kind of sentient alien life form?   These are important issues the world must come together and find an answer for!
But, but ... I've always been told that 42 was the answer  :o

chinnyhill10

Good news is that i've found an adaptor that will turn my existing CPC PSU connector to the size required for the plus. So hopefully problem solved.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

Quote from: gerald on 08:02, 23 September 15
I assume you talk about linear regulated PSU. Unless you make it yourself, good luck finding a new one on the market  ;)

Recently bought one from Amazon, runs well, got a well price. Posted that in some PSU thread... dunno remember where it is now. The forum search function is very strict as we know.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

OK 464plus posted on to chinny. 30 euro for postage on top of the 120 for the machine -25 that was donated to the cause. I think I'm in chinny credit for a while lol. Sorry @Gryzor possibly no donation to the wiki from me for a while :(  I  hope you understand. ;)

Gryzor

@TFM : hm, you're right, and your post made me recreate the search index... Should be ready in a couple of hours hopefully :)

@Craigsbar : heh, a man has to live, too! :D But seriously, thanks.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 00:14, 27 September 15
OK 464plus posted on to chinny. 30 euro for postage on top of the 120 for the machine -25 that was donated to the cause. I think I'm in chinny credit for a while lol. Sorry @Gryzor possibly no donation to the wiki from me for a while :(  I  hope you understand. ;)

Again, it is much appreciated. I'll put a shout out on the Twitter feed to see if anyone else can help. Cheers.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 12:33, 27 September 15

Again, it is much appreciated. I'll put a shout out on the Twitter feed to see if anyone else can help. Cheers.
There's no need for that. It's only a little over what I budgeted. Manly thanks to an post. List let me know when you get it