News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision : Pitfighter

Started by chinnyhill10, 17:41, 23 September 16

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Quote from: MacDeath on 01:21, 28 September 16
what is the config/model of your ST ?
have you tried different ROMs ?

It's a vanilla 520 STFM. I only have the option of copying to floppy which limits me to .st files. Tried all the ones I could fine, all crashed.

Not the end of the world. It happens from time to time. Just been doing a recording for Rasterscan and nothing would get it running on my PC2086, I suspect because I have upgraded it to a V30 (the PPC640 wouldn't run it either). This stuff happens. Not as simple as changing the config in an emulator when you use the real kit.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: kawickboy on 07:47, 28 September 16
Don't forget u.n squadron and strider 2, quite good. And the mega twins demo looks awesome. And after activision crashed they bought sega rights.

Anybody played thunderjaws and skull&crossbones ? the last one went on the market 3 years after target renegade and is a failure.

Yeah, those two were in the second or third wave of releases and the developers had gotten their shit together at that point.

Although I don't get the love for Strider 2. It can be finished blindfolded and it looks kinda clunky. And it was really only the character that Capcom licenced for that one anyway cos it's not really an arcade conversion. U.N Squadron was awesome on the CPC. Probably one of the last really good games I had played on the CPC before I migrated over to the Mega Drive.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

zeropolis79

In reality, Domark's Tengen games bar Pit Fighter, Xybots and Hard Drivin weren't Speccy ports but in the case of Hard Drivin, they did have an excuse..

But I still say that they had no quality control on their later 8-bit titles - look at Hard Drivin on the C64! STUN Runner stank to high heaven. So did Hydra and Thunderjaws. To me, Klax was their last GOOD title. (I'm still trying to find a Speccy version of Thunderjaws - that's missing in action)

Skull and Crossbones actually wasn't too bad.

I finished Strider 2 on my first go!

My 520STE was expanded to 1meg memory...

kawickboy

Strider 2 is funny, has a REAL ending and although it's a tiertex speccy dev, a lot of efforts have been made to color the game. But yes, this is not a capcom creation. Don't forget that the 1st strider is a far incomplete conversion.

U.n squadron: great release. Even the super nes port can't afford 2 players...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: kawickboy on 10:10, 28 September 16
Strider 2 is funny, has a REAL ending and although it's a tiertex speccy dev, a lot of efforts have been made to color the game. But yes, this is not a capcom creation. Don't forget that the 1st strider is a far incomplete conversion.

U.n squadron: great release. Even the super nes port can't afford 2 players...

Yeah, but what's the point in a real ending when you'll finish it effortlessly in 20 minutes and never go back to it?
I was stunned when I finished the game on my first attempt.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

kawickboy

I like its replay value. In opposition with double dragon 3, i like when a sequel is technically more accomplished than the previous episode.

zeropolis79

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 18:36, 28 September 16
DD3 is that slow....

I didn't wanna say anything, but yeah, Double Dragon 3 is probably the worst comparison that @kawickboy could have used in that case.  :laugh:

zeropolis79

Makes Pitfighter look like a stroll in the park...

Puresox

Thunderjaws was a decent port of a crap game imo , Sorry this thread should be called Domark summary

chinnyhill10

I have to record something of Badlands on the CPC in a few days. If it is as I remember a direct Speccy port it stinks badly.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

zeropolis79

It is and it's complete crap

Puresox

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 22:39, 28 September 16
It is and it's complete crap
I concur!
I did enjoy it more than the Sprint ports , because it played a bit faster seemed more enjoyable , if you ignored the horrible graphics. Super Sprint did look the part, just was so slow. I mean come-on, Grand Prix Simulater 1+2 had no problems and that was a budget release.

MacDeath

QuoteI don't get the love for Strider 2.
Basically Tiertex did some proper Mode0 for once...
Else it was quite the same engine as Strider1 on CPC.

Seems Tiertex got so shat on them after utter shytes such as BlackTiger or strider ports that they did more mode0 after.

QuoteIn reality, Domark's Tengen games bar Pit Fighter, Xybots and Hard Drivin weren't Speccy ports but in the case of Hard Drivin, they did have an excuse..
Quoteweren't
what ?
Those are pixel perfect from the speccy (minus the "colours") or few mode0 menu parts for hardDrivin'

Xybot is perhaps the more re-worked of the 3 on CPC.

If the list from CPcpower is proper, it really is a 50/50 range of games... like actually most devs.

Be it domark or Teque as well (they did some great games as well for different Labels)

Had to remember that the devs and the Labels/distributrs were two different things.

QuoteI have to record something of Badlands on the CPC in a few days. If it is as I remember a direct Speccy port it stinks badly.
Funnily, it would have some CPC arrangements such as ditherings in different colours that speccy couldn't do, yet also still have some "colour/attribute" clashes as well... really how could they manage to do that ?
:doh:

Supersprint was the way to go.
or van 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road was also quite better despite being a somewhat straight Mode1 port as well.

Would be nice to have a video compairing all those sort of "1 screener+minisprites" race games... was actually a popular genre with lots of games in the same vein.
(oliver Twins made quite a lot of variant, I guess they reused some engine basis...)
what else ?

Grand Prix Simulator 1&2.
Championship Jet Ski Simulator.
BMX simulator 1&2
Professional BMX Simulator
Championship Sprint
Rally Cross Challenge

Puresox

Ivan's 4x4 was pretty decent , if the controls were a little tighter it would have been an excellent game

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Puresox on 16:34, 29 September 16
Ivan's 4x4 was pretty decent , if the controls were a little tighter it would have been an excellent game

IIRC came out the same month as Badlands as well. Certainly ACE and possibly AA reviewed it in the same issues.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

zeropolis79

AA reviewed both in the same issue

chinnyhill10

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 21:37, 29 September 16
AA reviewed both in the same issue

Thought so. Although Iron Man wasn't great it made Badlands look even worse.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

zeropolis79

Sure my 7 year old goddaughter could code a better Badlands conversion..