News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision - Ranarama

Started by chinnyhill10, 13:41, 14 November 14

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

New review of Ranarama across the Speccy, CPC and C64

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dtwa8RmFcI

Very pleased with how the CPC footage came out. Seems mode 1 captures very cleanly!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

EgoTrip

I loved this game, but still haven't completed it. It was definitely one of the most played AA covertapes I had.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: EgoTrip on 14:01, 14 November 14
I loved this game, but still haven't completed it. It was definitely one of the most played AA covertapes I had.

Was it on the covertape? I had it via a compilation (possibly 10 Great Games?) so can't recall but it would make sense as AA had alot of the Hewson games on their tapes (a fact which annoyed me as I already had many of their games via that compilation).
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

EgoTrip

Yeah it was the same tape as Maze Mania.

Gryzor

The CPC much slower? Huge slowdown?? Am I the only one to not see it in the vid? :D

I liked how the Speccy sprites look like taken from a LCD game :)

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:29, 14 November 14
The CPC much slower? Huge slowdown?? Am I the only one to not see it in the vid? :D

I love Ranarama and I've played it quite a lot. The player frog moves a bit slowly, sometimes gets stuck in the scenery and perhaps this is why it appears a bit slow?

But it's not that slow.

A good fun game :)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:29, 14 November 14

It feels far less responsive and massively slows down when alot is going on. Hell, I noticed that when I first got it around 1988! Large screen + lots of baddies = massive slowdown. Whereas the Speccy is consistently the same speed and far more responsive even though I was playing on the hateful rubber keys.

In fact when Amstrad Action first mentioned DMA sound for the Plus machines, Ranarama was the first game I thought of that could benefit.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

O - O... Another Speccy Port. Time for a rewrite like R-Type.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Puresox

Great Video , but one question that the Vid raises. You seem to be Acknowledging that the C64 was a more powerful/better  games computer? Have I misinterpreted this? 

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Puresox on 15:53, 15 November 14
Great Video , but one question that the Vid raises. You seem to be Acknowledging that the C64 was a more powerful/better  games computer? Have I miss interpreted this?

You have indeed misinterpreted that.

The C64 version seems lacklustre. Take the wizard battle mini game screen. It's just ugly and there is no need. The use of colour is also really odd. Feels like a game they spent the minimum amount of time possible porting from the Spectrum and it suffers from it.

Whereas while the CPC version has some issues, it does make good use of mode 1 and it's consistent with a CPC mode 1 look. My issue with the 64 version is that it really doesn't feel like a 64 game.

--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Puresox

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:19, 15 November 14

You have indeed misinterpreted that.

The C64 version seems lacklustre. Take the wizard battle mini game screen. It's just ugly and there is no need. The use of colour is also really odd. Feels like a game they spent the minimum amount of time possible porting from the Spectrum and it suffers from it.

Whereas while the CPC version has some issues, it does make good use of mode 1 and it's consistent with a CPC mode 1 look. My issue with the 64 version is that it really doesn't feel like a 64 game.
Much as I hate to admit it. The only things I can see the Amstrad having that is better than the C64 and Spectrum. Are the Colour Palette. The Spectrums weak points are it's Sound , colour clash and grubby colours, scrolling ability. The C64 it's 3D manipulation even though it does just as well a lot of times. I'm sure there are more points. Sacrilegious. :P [size=78%]  [/size]