News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Rodland

Started by chinnyhill10, 20:36, 27 September 18

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Like New Zealand Story, the CPC got a half assed slow and blocky port of this. I know some CPC owners love it but as soon as you've played the other 8 bit versions it becomes apparent the CPC version is just too slow and cut down. A real candidate for a remake like Bubble Bobble to get the job done properly.

http://youtu.be/3gG6jpFFasA
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

tjohnson

Never heard of it myself, one to look at!

ervin

A real shame about the CPC version.
The graphics *look* fine, but there's no reason for them to move so slowly!
It's not the most complex game in the world, that's for sure.
A game like this could be coded quite easily in cpctelera, and would run a whole lot better!

The speccy version is very very nice indeed (apart from the obligatory monochrome-ness of it all!).

Dabz

Would be nice to see a remake, tidy it up a bit, cos the CPC version is just, none excusable really!

Dabz

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ervin on 04:00, 28 September 18
The speccy version is very very nice indeed (apart from the obligatory monochrome-ness of it all!).

Someone did a colour hack for the Speccy. Looks fine until anything clashes then it looks like someone has vomited on the screen. Someone moaned at me for not covering that version, as if I'm going to cover obscure mods that make a game look worse! Indeed after you've seen the hack you realise just how clean the monochrome Speccy graphics are.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Dabz on 10:11, 28 September 18
Would be nice to see a remake, tidy it up a bit, cos the CPC version is just, none excusable really!

Dabz

Needs the Bubble Bobble treatment.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

ComSoft6128

Another good video. Never saw this game the first time around. Interesting to see how poor the CPC version is in comparison to the other 8 Bit computers - looks nice but it runs so slowly.

Thanks,

Peter

sigh

The one time where I wish we had a speccy port.
The spectrum version is beautiful - if only they could of squeezed in the music.
I was so disappointed with the CPC version that I had actually started doing a remake some years ago. I had done all the tiles for the first level, the power  ups and I think I had done the first level enemies and the main characters. I found a sprite sheet of the amiga version and traced the enemies.
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/rodland/
There is only one picture of it on this thread. There were more pictures than this but I'm guessing that the link to the others had expired.