News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Space Harrier

Started by chinnyhill10, 18:29, 08 May 16

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

I apologise for being late posting this on here. This weeks review is Space Harrier. While I quite like the vector graphics on the CPC, as you'll see from the comments some people aren't so keen:

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Zoe Robinson

I never played it on the CPC but I found the Mega Drive version to be pretty cool when playing it at a friend's house back in the 16-bit era. I think if I'd seen the CPC version after that, I'd have been disappointed although adult me can see why that choice was made.

Another good episode, Chinny. :)

mahlemiut

The Fujitsu FM-77AV version is real nice for an 8-bit version. (Dual 2MHz 6809s, various simple hardware drawing primitives)
This was my go to game for testing the FM-77AV driver in MAME.  Is great fun. :)

And the near perfect X68000 version:

Dempa knew how to make arcade ports. :)
- Barry Rodewald

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 22:39, 08 May 16
I never played it on the CPC but I found the Mega Drive version to be pretty cool when playing it at a friend's house back in the 16-bit era. I think if I'd seen the CPC version after that, I'd have been disappointed although adult me can see why that choice was made.

That's Space Harrier 2 though on the Megadrive, a game with some odd design choices. It was one of the launch titles for the Megadrive and never made it to the arcade.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

khaz

I laughed at the Amiga version. It must be a glitch, the intended speed cannot be that.

Is it me or does the Spectrum version has the best framerate of all the 8bits ports? It felt very smooth, very playable. Funky graphics though.

Have you tried the 3DS Version? It most certainly is the best port we have, arcade perfect 60Hz, perfect controls with full customisation (centered joystick, swiping joystick, touch screen controls), lots of options to tweak the game to your desire. The addition of optional 3D gives a new depth to the game, literally: being able to see the things actually flying at you makes it easier to avoid them, or so I think. It's my preferred version at least.

||C|-|E||

Cool video! I never had the chance to play Space Harrier in Amstrad, but I played Space Harrier 2 in my CPC like crazy. I even managed to finish it and I loved the game  :) . Funnily enough, I did not even know that Space Harrier had vectorial graphics. What a surprise  :-\

Shaun M. Neary

Space Harrier II was pretty much panned on all formats though if memory serves me well.

The original was awesome though. Graphically on the CPC, it really wasn't all that much, and after playing SHII on the CPC a few years later, you can understand why. The line drawn graphics made it possible to really crank the speed of the action. It was a sacrifice that was well worth making.

I could never finish it. I believe there's 17 stages in total, but I think I made it to 8 and always crapped out. I just never had the reflexes for it, so I doubt I'd manage it today. I might break it out later and see how I get on.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

dodogildo

Good thing you brought Space Harrier to our attention decades later. Never had the chance to beat the beast beyond stage 5 back in the day. Maybe now is the right time to try again using a multiface, a good controller, and a middle age man's reflexes ;)
M'enfin!

sigh

I didn't mind the CPC version even though I was disappointed about the lack of detail on the vector graphics. Even though it's not filled with colour, it would of been nice to have more detail as sometimes the enemies and bullets can be hard to make out.

I have to say that the spectrum version looks amazing in terms of playability. The checkered floor* effect really gives it a great sense of 3D. It's a shame about the lack of music.
I would go so far to say that if we had this version on CPC with the music - I would of been quite pleased.

*Could this of been done on the CPC with the same speed and smoothness without any consequences?

Puresox

Rather have the Amstrad version

invent

This is the arcade game I spent most of my credits on.  Never played the Amstrad version but interesting vector idea, makes me wonder what other games use this technique on the Amstrad besides Star Wars.

Always wanted to do a modern day version of this with all the fancy capabilities we have now.

Just googled it to see any modern day interpretations Planet Harriers (Arcade 2000) :)
Enjoying/Creating Retro Games

khaz

Incidentally, here is some brand new footage of a modern sort-of Space Harrier clone:
[/url]
Strike Harbinger, everyone! Coming to an Arcade next to you some time in 2017.

[EDIT: Please use the YouTube button to embed your videos]

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: sigh on 23:26, 09 May 16
I didn't mind the CPC version even though I was disappointed about the lack of detail on the vector graphics. Even though it's not filled with colour, it would of been nice to have more detail as sometimes the enemies and bullets can be hard to make out.

I have to say that the spectrum version looks amazing in terms of playability. The checkered floor* effect really gives it a great sense of 3D. It's a shame about the lack of music.
I would go so far to say that if we had this version on CPC with the music - I would of been quite pleased.

*Could this of been done on the CPC with the same speed and smoothness without any consequences?

I can't see any reason why it couldn't. Look at Trailblazer which used a very similar approach, and that was ridiculously fast too.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

||C|-|E||

Quote from: khaz on 02:32, 10 May 16
Incidentally, here is some brand new footage of a modern sort-of Space Harrier clone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUh75Sps5jc&feature=youtu.be
Strike Harbinger, everyone! Coming to an Arcade next to you some time in 2017.

I think that something like that would work wonders in the upcoming VR headsets  :)