News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: Speed King

Started by chinnyhill10, 11:50, 15 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Well the MSX and CPC versions look very similar! Nice to see the MSX looking more like a CPC and less like a Spectrum though.

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

khaz

I thought you were talking about the Konix Speed King controller eh

Cool vid, fairly basic game though.

CraigsBar

Quote from: khaz on 14:57, 15 April 16
I thought you were talking about the Konix Speed King controller eh

Cool vid, fairly basic game though.
Konix speed king.... Best controller ever ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 11:50, 15 April 16
Well the MSX and CPC versions look very similar! Nice to see the MSX looking more like a CPC and less like a Spectrum though.

I remember this game being much better than this lol. Rose tinted memory strikes again.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:44, 15 April 16

Bwahaha, I remember those things, didn't the sticks snap like twigs?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

CraigsBar

I never had that issue. I still have 2 master system ones that I use on my Amiga, Megadrive (master system games) and CPC (with adaptors so both buttons work)

Great controller.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:01, 15 April 16
I never had that issue. I still have 2 master system ones that I use on my Amiga, Megadrive (master system games) and CPC (with adaptors so both buttons work)

Great controller.

I actually used to use SMS control pads as well and remove the little screw in sticks. They were great for joystick waggler games too!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

khaz

Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:01, 15 April 16

Great controller.

I bought one not so long ago, and maybe it's just mine but the buttons are quite stiff, playing games that require having a button kept pressed (like a shooter) just kills my hand lol
The joystick itself is cool though.

CraigsBar

Quote from: khaz on 16:21, 15 April 16
I bought one not so long ago, and maybe it's just mine but the buttons are quite stiff, playing games that require having a button kept pressed (like a shooter) just kills my hand lol
Ahhh. For shooters I use my x-arcade tankstick on my JustCPC 128k ;)

Executioner

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:44, 15 April 16

I always found it hard to press the fire button quickly on a speed king, I had a Konix Navigator, which had a trigger finger fire button, but the plastic broke eventually, not the best quality really.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: khaz on 16:21, 15 April 16

You could try a bit of silicone grease spray inside the stick to help the movement.

Thinking back to Speed King, it seemed to be one of those games that everyone I knew seemed to own a copy on their various formats, but never seemed to get played. Years later I picked up TT Racer also by Digital Intergration on some tin pot budget level I'd never heard of and thought it was quite superb, yet nobody ever seemed to mention it.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Puresox

I remember having Speed King , Mastertronic games were the only games I could afford on my paperound wages , I remember thinking it was not bad although I didn't like the colour scheme and didn't like the way the opponent bikes were seemingly just a single entity ,A snake of bikes so to speak , so you pretty much passed them in one go , but if you crashed you'd be back to 20th in an instant . Overall it was a worthy budget game . Fast enough and ticked the boxes enough to be playable , but neigh brilliant

Gryzor

I have a really soft spot for this game. Yeah, it does look shitty and I remember it was quite hard, but I spent so, so many hours taking turns with my dad playing it that it has stuck in my heart... so, thanks for making a video for it!

The c16 version reminded me of Night Driver:

||C|-|E||

That is actually a really dark night to drive!  :laugh:

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:39, 25 May 16
I have a really soft spot for this game. Yeah, it does look shitty and I remember it was quite hard, but I spent so, so many hours taking turns with my dad playing it that it has stuck in my heart... so, thanks for making a video for it!

The c16 version reminded me of Night Driver:

[ot]I remember playing it on my Neighbour's kids Wood Grained Atari 2600 with the Wheel Gamepad and was blown away. Later on when I got the PCAE program I was playing it again, I couldn't remember if it was a 2k or 4k game, but for what it was, I thought it was pretty good. :) [/ot]
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3