News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision: The Last V8

Started by chinnyhill10, 13:52, 04 December 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Not a great game on the C64 to begin with but the CPC version runs at half the speed, omits the speech and has a tuneless rendition of the fantastic original music. Bah!

--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

Not one to show the c64 fanboys then ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Zoe Robinson

Wow, this looks like a budget compilation game; something you'd get on a "4 games for £2" collection or something.

I thought I recognised the names of the creators but didn't click that they were the Codemasters guys until you mentioned that. Way to come back from a rocky start, guys! :D

||C|-|E||

I could have enjoyed a CPC version that looked like the C64, but no the crappy one that Amstrad users got :( .

Luckily, and although it is not V8 related (too bad) we have the not so bad at all Paris Dakar.

[/url]

OK, the scroll is not great either and the game was quite complicated, so maybe is not great at all, but I enjoyed it like crazy when I was a kid  :picard:

Shaun M. Neary

This is what I used to call a "Lose em" game.
The game to go for when there were too many people, and you were too polite to ask them to leave, so you'd put on a really crap game to make them want to leave of their own accord.

But by the looks of things, even if the CPC had the speed, the controls would still have screwed it up anyway.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Zoe Robinson

What I'm having trouble with is why the CPC version is so slow anyway. There's hardly any game screen at all here, it's mostly taken up with a fixed graphic. Surely that could have been utilised to speed up the scrolling in some fashion?

Puresox

Lack of effort or lack of skills , one of those two?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Puresox on 18:02, 04 December 15
Lack of effort or lack of skills , one of those two?

Didn't the Darlings throw in the towel shortly after this and start up Code Masters?
So I'd probably go with this, I'm fairly certain I read an interview that they found it more difficult to work on the Amstrad than they did with the Spectrum, so they got the likes of the Olivers who knew what they were doing.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 17:51, 04 December 15
What I'm having trouble with is why the CPC version is so slow anyway. There's hardly any game screen at all here, it's mostly taken up with a fixed graphic. Surely that could have been utilised to speed up the scrolling in some fashion?

It's like playing really slow Supercars through your letterbox by shouting the directions at someone inside the house.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Phantomz

I enjoyed your vid like always chinnyhill10, looking forward to one on the C4CPC.  :D

How did you want the controls. button 1 to accelerare, button 2 for brake/reverse, and steer with left and right?

If so, check out the following cpr on your 464 plus, I can't do anything about the speed though  :laugh: :doh:

The computer demo will crash as think the replay is done by keyboard recordings like what the oliver twins did with super grand prix etc.

New fixed version on the " Converted GX4000 .cpr thread "

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Phantomz on 23:05, 04 December 15
I enjoyed your vid like always chinnyhill10, looking forward to one on the C4CPC.  :D

How did you want the controls. button 1 to accelerare, button 2 for brake/reverse, and steer with left and right?

If so, check out the following cpr on your 464 plus, I can't do anything about the speed though  :laugh: :doh:

The computer demo will crash as think the replay is done by keyboard recordings like what the oliver twins did with super grand prix etc.

Will be doing a vid on the C4CPC early next year. Been tied up with a video celebrating 30 years of ownership of the 6128 for Christmas.

Will try the version of V8 on the cart and will report back!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Phantomz

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 01:23, 05 December 15

Will be doing a vid on the C4CPC early next year. Been tied up with a video celebrating 30 years of ownership of the 6128 for Christmas.

Will try the version of V8 on the cart and will report back!

Cool, looking forward to your vids.  :D

There is a new fixed version on the Converted GX4000 .cpr  thread where the demo doesn't bug out if you're interested.

You can press fire button 1 on joypad 1 or 2 to start game.

Joypad 1 is default controls.
Joypad 2 is button 1 to accelerate, button 2 for brake/reverse, and steer with left and right.

The disk is availbale here.  :)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Phantomz on 21:07, 08 December 15

I need to change a couple of things, will upload when I've redone it.

Sorry. Not had chance to try yet. Been manic here. Will try at weekend.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Phantomz

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 23:27, 08 December 15

Sorry. Not had chance to try yet. Been manic here. Will try at weekend.

No problem. The disk is available above and the cart on the other thread.  :D

Gryzor

Just watched this.

Oh. My. God.

Contender for smallest play area ever? (now here's a nice thread topic!)