News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision - Tomahawk

Started by chinnyhill10, 16:32, 12 May 17

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

I'd forgotten how much I liked this and just how good the use of Mode 0 is. Lovely colourful vector graphics. Yeah lacks the speed of the Speccy but then you play the C64 and Atari versions and all is forgiven!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL7Nx2yuo9k
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

robcfg

Nice review!

It would have been nice to compare the PCW version too.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: robcfg on 17:00, 12 May 17
Nice review!

It would have been nice to compare the PCW version too.

Would have to be done under emulation (which I dislike doing) and PCW emulation is a pain anyway. When I did Head Over Heels I had to ask for a clip on here as I failed to get Joyce running.

I do have the PC version running but ran out of time. Bit pressurised on the video front at the moment and PC capture from my 2086 is complicated and takes an age to set up so skipped that version as well.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

This was my favourite game back in the day and I still have my original tape. However it uses a Lenslok which doesn't work on the 19in LCD that I use at the moment :(

Bryce.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Bryce on 20:16, 12 May 17
This was my favourite game back in the day and I still have my original tape. However it uses a Lenslok which doesn't work on the 19in LCD that I use at the moment :(

Bryce.

The budget re-release did away with Lenslok but instead implemented a colour coded protection system IIRC. Easier just to use a crack these days.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

tjohnson

Bryce.

I loved Tomahawk too, I had an original copy until we sold up in the 1990s, I now have a copy again as my 6128 game with a disk and the lenslok.  I tried the lenslok on the LCD and it doesn't work but is ok on the original monitor as expected.  I did find a program that can decode lensloks in windows and can confirm it works http://simonowen.com/spectrum/lenskey/ got me thinking about a useful phone camera app, point the camera, take photo and then program decodes,  probably wouldn't be difficult to code for someone who knows about this stuff.

ervin

I absolutely loved Tomahawk back in the day.

I had seen the review in ACU (I must have been 14 years of age), and really wanted to fly my own battle copter.
8)

Well, my local Radio Rentals had Tomahawk in stock for $35 (Australian), which was quite a lot of money back then, especially for a 14 year old!
One day, I was shopping with my parents, and they bought a $1 instant lottery ticket. We scratched off the silver stuff, and the ticket showed $25!
My parents chipped in the other $10, and Tomahawk was mine.

I played the heck out of that game, even though I never got very far in it.
Wonderful memories...

Johnny Olsen

Bryce.

If you have a multiface or similar, you can see the 2 code in adr. &A1f1 and &A1f2

Bryce

Good to know... 3 weeks after I sold my MultiFace  :picard:

Bryce.

Dizrythmia

Quote from: ervin on 09:18, 14 May 17
Well, my local Radio Rentals had Tomahawk in stock for $35 (Australian)
Radio Rentals were a big supporter of the Amstrad range back in the 80s. I purchased my initial Amstrad CPC6128 there & it was the only place you could buy blank discs well into the 90s.

Good memories :)

ervin

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 05:00, 15 May 17
Radio Rentals were a big supporter of the Amstrad range back in the 80s. I purchased my initial Amstrad CPC6128 there & it was the only place you could buy blank discs well into the 90s.

Good memories :)

Indeed, I bought a number of CPC games from RR... Tomahawk, Ghosts n Goblins, Slapfight, Head over Heels...

Actually that's another great memory.
I bought Slapfight, and quite enjoyed it, but found it amazingly easy.
I took it back to RR and they let me swap it!
That's how I got my hands on Head over Heels, which to this day is my favourite 8-bit game.
8)