News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision - Toobin'

Started by chinnyhill10, 00:43, 28 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Oh what a Speccy port we got! Which wouldn't be a bad thing as the Speccy version is quite good but the CPC version is so slow and has some poor colour choices. Bah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htk_JW-s74M

Still wasn't the worst £3.99 I ever spent but I do pity the people who paid full whack! Reasonable 2 player fun mind as I used to play it with a friend on my 6128.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Had this as part of the TNT compilation so I didn't get too bad a shaft.
And it's still better than Dizzy Down The Rapids 😂😂
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 02:30, 28 April 18
Had this as part of the TNT compilation so I didn't get too bad a shaft.
And it's still better than Dizzy Down The Rapids 😂😂

That era where Codemasters would just do a 2 day conversion of the Spectrum game and shunt it onto the CPC. Also see Bubble Dizzy which seemed to get good reviews despite being terrible on our platform.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 09:20, 28 April 18

That era where Codemasters would just do a 2 day conversion of the Spectrum game and shunt it onto the CPC. Also see Bubble Dizzy which seemed to get good reviews despite being terrible on our platform.

I wouldn't say that Bubble Dizzy was terrible. But it did lack depth. It ended up being a subgame to Fantastic Dizzy a year or so later, to which it was actually better suited. Rapids was far worse in my opinion.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 02:09, 29 April 18
I wouldn't say that Bubble Dizzy was terrible. But it did lack depth. It ended up being a subgame to Fantastic Dizzy a year or so later, to which it was actually better suited. Rapids was far worse in my opinion.

Bubble Dizzy is great on the Amiga and ST. But on the CPC it's just yuck. A pedestrian lazy port of a rather poor Spectrum version.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 20:01, 29 April 18

Bubble Dizzy is great on the Amiga and ST. But on the CPC it's just yuck. A pedestrian lazy port of a rather poor Spectrum version.

LOL way to compare like for like  ;) :laugh:

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:08, 29 April 18
LOL way to compare like for like  ;) :laugh:

Gameplay should remain the same even if the graphics don't. There's no reason the CPC version should be as slow or ugly as it is other than lazy coding.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

While I agree with you on that, the hardware limitations compared to the 16bit counterparts can affect gameplay.

Then you have Shadow Of The Beast, which was all graphics and no gameplay.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 20:24, 29 April 18
While I agree with you on that, the hardware limitations compared to the 16bit counterparts can affect gameplay.

It's not even hardware limitations though. It's just badly coded. The kind of semi automated conversion where the poor old CPC has to convert Spectrum graphics on the fly and everything goes to a crawl.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 22:58, 29 April 18

It's not even hardware limitations though. It's just badly coded. The kind of semi automated conversion where the poor old CPC has to convert Spectrum graphics on the fly and everything goes to a crawl.

Can't disagree there. It definitely would have been more enjoyable coded from scratch, but my original point still stands. As a subgame, it was fine, but as a standalone game, it really lacks depth and staying power to make you come back to it again. That hurts it more than anything else in my honest opinion.