News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ChinnyVision - Yie Ar Kung Fu

Started by chinnyhill10, 11:56, 29 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Yie Ar Kung Fu on the CPC, Speccy, BBC, C64 and Commodore Plus 4.

And this week I take things one step further. Not only is it a real hardware (my 6128) but there's also footage captured direct from a CTM 644.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Dizrythmia

Great video. The CPC version was my first experience with the game too. Glad to own the original disc, boxed :)

Morri

Quote@11m39s - NO! This is terribly embarrasing. I've been playing this game for the best part of I guess 30 years... *star dominates* NO! Let's fast forward onto level 5...
Oh man, I laughed so hard while you were fighting and being owned by Star. This was great stuff, thank you so much for not editing that out. I'm still smiling.  :D
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Morri on 08:34, 30 May 15
Oh man, I laughed so hard while you were fighting and being owned by Star. This was great stuff, thank you so much for not editing that out. I'm still smiling.  :D

The problem I have is the capture delay (about .4 of a second) makes playing any game quite hard if fast reflexes are required. So stuff that I can usually walk becomes a whole new challenge. When I did my test play through without any capture I looped it. It's the perils of using the real hardware as opposed to emulation!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

sigh

I played this game to death in the arcades back in the 80's. My friend then got the game on his C64 and we played it from morning till night every time I was round his house. We were incredibly good at the game and clocked it (looped) the game 12 - 15 times in a row. That's how much time we invested in it. When you fight Pole and onwards to the other characters, you have to use the foot sweep which is down and fire. You must position yourself to jump at them and land in front of them. That way you can chip away at them bit by bit. It's the best method, otherwise the characters just stun lock you. Another thing with the C64 version, is that less than half the moves actually connect as the collision detection doesn't work on some moves. So - half the moves dont work which is why the character misses fequently.
It makes it look like a kung fu movie with the missing looking like dodging :)

Also the character Tonfun, is using tonfun sticks. They are like a police baton and is an excellent weapon used for striking and blocking.

I have far more experience with the C64 version than I do with the CPC version, even though I owned it. The CPC version has better collision detection, but I actually find it too slow and the playing area a little small.

That BBC version - Star was throwing more shurikens than Shinobi. That was very cheap!

I would love to see a third installment of this game.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: sigh on 02:55, 03 June 15

I have far more experience with the C64 version than I do with the CPC version, even though I owned it. The CPC version has better collision detection, but I actually find it too slow and the playing area a little small.

I have since found out that the C64 version was originally sent by Ocean to an out of house team who messed it up so it was taken back in house and rushed through development. Which may explain why the C64 version is so dodgy.

Never found the speed or screen size on the CPC version to be a problem.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

First time playing this, my cousin brought over the Konami Coin-Op Hits compilation, We'd loaded this, Mikie and Green Beret during the time they were over for the few hours.
I had em load Mikie and leave it loaded before they left.

I'd end up owning it in the expanded version of the compilation about a year later. But it does scare me how faithful this was to the arcade, and equally tough. Even by todays standards as I had just played the arcade version of it on a playstation with an Arcade stick. =)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?