News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GameHammer - Fantasy World Dizzy

Started by Zoe Robinson, 10:38, 31 March 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

As I mentioned in another thread, I was playing Fantasy World Dizzy over Easter so I thought I'd review it on this week's GameHammer while I was playing.

I loved the Dizzy series growing up and this one was the first one I owned. I don't recall being quite as frustrated with it when I was a kid as I am now (fekkin clouds!!) but oh well.

EgoTrip

Dizzy never was right on the C64. The only good thing about that version of Fantasy World is the music.

Shaun M. Neary

Another one that gets a lot of love from me. This was the Dizzy that launched the character as a proper franchise. Treasure Island Dizzy could have (and realistically should have) done, but the one life dynamic really stuffed it up (to the point where not only did they never do that again, but they'd introduce an energy bar after the third release).

Like Zoe, this was my first Dizzy also. The clouds were easy, but I remember the illusion had me stuck for about five hours originally. Now I can almost do it blindfolded.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Zoe Robinson

Treasure Island's one-life problem is so annoying. I agree that it could have been the franchise starter but it's lacking the Yolk Folk, which became an integral part of Dizzy's world; so even if Treasure Island hadn't been limited to one life, it would still have been Fantasy World when the Dizzy we all came to remember was formed.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 17:27, 01 April 16
Treasure Island's one-life problem is so annoying. I agree that it could have been the franchise starter but it's lacking the Yolk Folk, which became an integral part of Dizzy's world; so even if Treasure Island hadn't been limited to one life, it would still have been Fantasy World when the Dizzy we all came to remember was formed.

It's all about slow build up really. The YF being left to the third was perfect, so that it didn't take away from his main mission, which could have easily been done. Thankfully that didn't happen in any of them.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

MacDeath

Many of thos huge games were somewhat hardcore mode because of the limited survivability and very very limited "credits/replay/save".

but hey, could always code or poke some trainer mode...

My copy of Rick Dangerous had infinite lives... was still challenging and could use one hours to get past some specific points of the game.