News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GameHammer - Ghostbusters

Started by Zoe Robinson, 23:15, 13 August 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

With the new film coming out recently, I had to take that opportunity to review the first game I ever bought. It's Activision's Cash-In*ahem*Ghostbusters!

This week's episode features Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64. As usual, it's basically only cosmetic differences between the three versions but I think the CPC wins out on both sound and graphics.

AMSDOS

I have the Atari 2600 version  ;D  It's been ages since I've played it, so my memory isn't great on it. The Tune played through out, you started off guiding your little logo to any of the buildings flashing, there was also a Ghost on that screen, so if you put your crosshair across it, it gave you the chance of picking it up while you were on route, once you got to your destination, your 2 guys could be setup (pretty much like how they had to catch Slimer in the movie), being careful not to cross the screams and using your trap to catch them. Eventually, you got to the main event where you had to stop the Stay Puff Marshmallow man.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Zoe Robinson

I never played the Atari version but it sound like the 8-bit computer versions were essentially straight ports of it.

rk last

This was a game that I couldn't get into - but it looked and played well on the colour confused C64.
maRK

Scarlettkitten

I loved this games as a kid but I agree without the ghostbusters name it wouldn't be looked at twice.
Sophie Rose:- My musical works https://soundcloud.com/sophierosemusics

Shaun M. Neary

I never saw this game until 1987.
I enjoyed this the first time I played it, although it took me ages to get to grips with the controls, like having to move up and down when over the buildings to enter them, etc.

The final stage confused me too. I figured I'd have to blast the Marshmallow man, so running under his legs was somewhat of an anticlimax.

Not much in the way of a major challenge though, and once you finish it, there's no real reason to go back and play it again.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

sigh

I'm not a massive ghost busters fan, but I was surprised that the 2016 version wasn't that bad. It had it's problems, but overall I thought that it was quite enjoyable and fun.

This lead me to create a quick unfinished mock up of the characters for a Ghost Busters 2016 RPG, (I am NOT making this game) as it is a franchise that would work well with this type of genre.

You cannot view this attachment.