News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GameHammer - Magicland Dizzy

Started by Zoe Robinson, 10:34, 11 November 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

I'm working through all the Dizzy games on GameHammer, albeit not in the correct order. This week it's the turn of one of my personal favourites: Magicland Dizzy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjE66UZ3AeY

robcfg

Good stuff, as usual!

Damn! Now I'll have to try the Dizzy games for myself...  :D

Shaun M. Neary

Magicland was the beginning of the Dizzy series getting way too big. Although they'd hit the balance right with this one, Spellbound just got way out of hand.

Also just for kicks, give Daisy the eat me cake. I almost fell off my chair laughing when that happened. xD
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:56, 11 November 15
Magicland was the beginning of the Dizzy series getting way too big. Although they'd hit the balance right with this one, Spellbound just got way out of hand.

I agree. This one is a proper Dizzy game in the traditional style and although it is bigger, it still hangs together really well. I wasn't as big a fan of the later games, although I did try my best to complete Spellbound Dizzy. I never bothered to pick up Crystal Kingdom at the time because the games had gone off the boil by that point and I wasn't interested in putting down full price money for a game I wasn't convinced I would enjoy.

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 11:56, 11 November 15
Also just for kicks, give Daisy the eat me cake. I almost fell off my chair laughing when that happened. xD

I did that, too. It's hilarious! :D :D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 13:08, 11 November 15

I agree. This one is a proper Dizzy game in the traditional style and although it is bigger, it still hangs together really well. I wasn't as big a fan of the later games, although I did try my best to complete Spellbound Dizzy. I never bothered to pick up Crystal Kingdom at the time because the games had gone off the boil by that point and I wasn't interested in putting down full price money for a game I wasn't convinced I would enjoy.

Crystal Kingdom was such a departure. One of the beauty things that the Dizzy games always had was consistency, the animation had it's similarities and it had evolved, especially with Spellbounds additional animation on 128k machines. Crystal Kingdom didn't look or feel like a Dizzy game at all, and it looked like you were getting an inferior product for full price.

QuoteI did that, too. It's hilarious! :D :D

I learned the hard way, as I did that on my last life!  :doh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

EgoTrip

On the Spectrum version, why are there "S"'s where the water should be on the shark screen?

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: EgoTrip on 16:31, 11 November 15
On the Spectrum version, why are there "S"'s where the water should be on the shark screen?

Most likely because the snapshot I was playing this from was corrupted. Either that or the emulator was screwed.

Due to a broken eyeTV unit, I can't currently record from the original computers, so instead of having these videos stop for an indeterminate amount of time, I've been using emulators. These things happen, unfortunately. :(