News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GameHammer One Shot - Slap Fight

Started by Zoe Robinson, 01:15, 30 May 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

Here's a "first impressions"-style video for a game that my friends and I loved as kids: Slap Fight aka Alcon by Taito.

What do you think of videos of this sort? Are they worth continuing with? I'd ideally like to make one or two a week, of no more than 10 minutes in length.

mr_lou

Slap Fight is a dear childhood memory of mine too.
Because I know the game, I don't like the "introduction" part; like not knowing how to choose a power-up. I'd prefer you knew these things upfront.
But had it been a game I didn't know, I'd probably like that particular way of doing it. So....

How are you recording the game? From a real CPC? Using what hardware?

You should try to keep your voice volume the same when switching between the CPC screen and the shot of yourself.

Shaun M. Neary

First got my hands on Slap Fight as part of the Taito Coin-Op hits collection. The main problem I had with the game is that the bullets were practically invisible. You needed to be very alert in order to play it and reach a degree of success with it.

Not the worst complaint. Was much better than a lot of the games on that collection. Rastan, Legend Of Kage and Arkanoid II were awful!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Carnivius

Got it on that Ocean/Dixons compilation of 20 games for 99p and really enjoyed it.  Nice colourful graphics, good music and decent gameplay.  Nothing new or original but a solid time-waster.

Shaun in what way was Arkanoid 2 'awful'?  It was difficult but a really well made successor the great port that was the original game but with even nicer graphics too.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Zoe Robinson

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you all seem to have liked the show. Yeah, the voice level thing is annoying and I have no idea why that's happening, since all the audio is coming off the same video (the game footage is an overlay on top of the commentary video).

I'm currently recording the video footage using JavaCPC because I can't get a steady video signal from my 464 (it's not happy playing through my video capture stuff - the CPC is the only thing that won't play nice right now, too). When I solve that problem, it will be original hardware all the way!

The Ocean 20 games collection is where I got my copy from, too! Loved that set. So much fun - I almost played those games as much as the Dizzy collections, and that's saying something since I was a mega Dizzy fan. :)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Carnivius on 14:50, 30 May 17
Shaun in what way was Arkanoid 2 'awful'?  It was difficult but a really well made successor the great port that was the original game but with even nicer graphics too.

OK, Awful was probably a harsh term, I just found it moved sluggish and was way too difficult in comparison to it's predecessor which was the right amount of difficulty. Yes, it looked a lot more polished, but I think the gameplay was sacrificed for it which left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?