News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GameHammer - Out Run

Started by Zoe Robinson, 02:47, 17 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 11:39, 18 February 16
Although I was never an arcade gamer, I remember going to the opening of Dr. Quirkeys in O'Connel Street (1992) which changed the face of arcade gaming in Dublin. Unfortunately, that was also the year I emigrated, so I never had a chance to visit it much after that.

Bryce.

That place turned into a scumbag hole within a matter of three months! It's still there. It offered a bit of a shot in the arm to the arcade scene here because all the bigger arcades had either closed down or turned into gambling places (Playland, Broadway Amusements, The Mint (which actually turned into a tattoo parlour for a while), and Amusement City). Few arcade machines in it now. Used to use the pool tables and video jukebox downstairs a lot in the mid 90s. Must take a peek inside and see what's in there on the ground floor now.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 15:39, 18 February 16

That sounds like a children's TV show about a jocular shop owner and a ragtag bunch of misfit kids teaming up to go on adventures through a magic portal inside his shop.

Yes, it sounds more like an 90's Channel 4 breakfast show than an arcade, but that was the name. And @Shaun M. Neary as with most inner city arcades, it started out as "exclusive" and ended up as a meeting place for tracksuit-troopers and soap-dodgers.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 20:54, 18 February 16
And @Shaun M. Neary as with most inner city arcades, it started out as "exclusive" and ended up as a meeting place for tracksuit-troopers and soap-dodgers.

Bryce.

I love how exclusive made it in quotation marks.
Basically in Dublin, exclusive means they have a goon on the door cherry picking who gets in... this lasts for a total of one week before the rest of the riff-raff worm their way in. xD
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

Yes, and in another strange twist to the story, the goon on the door usually came from the same neighbourhood as the soap-dodging tracksuit-troopers.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 09:19, 19 February 16
Yes, and in another strange twist to the story, the goon on the door usually came from the same neighbourhood as the soap-dodging tracksuit-troopers.

Bryce.

Replace arcades with nightclubs, and the story is STILL the same in 2016!  :laugh:

Bryce

Although I'm regularly in Dublin, I tend to avoid the inner city nightlife these days.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 13:58, 19 February 16
Although I'm regularly in Dublin, I tend to avoid the inner city nightlife these days.

Bryce.

Being a music photographer, I don't really have that option. Although to be fair, Sunday through to Thursday is actually fine, Fridays are a pain in the arse, Saturdays are just plain unbearable. I'm open minded enough to remember that I used to have a drink when I was 16, but I was never so rat-arsed drunk that I'd be falling down on the street by 10pm. The late 90s Ibiza culture caught on and nightlife in both the UK and Ireland has been a shambles ever since.