News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

GameHammer - Uridium

Started by Zoe Robinson, 10:57, 23 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

Hey guys, I'm back with another playthrough/review of a CPC game. This time it's Uridium, where I'm showing how much I suck at it and comparing the CPC offering with the C64 original.

AMSDOS

I've lost touch with this game badly when I got my Amstrad back in working order, years of Emulated Joystick on the Emulator I think did the damage.  >:(

I also got out Codies Arcade Flight Sim and had similar problems, I couldn't even see the bullets!  :o  But could still play Who Dares Wins II.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: AMSDOS on 11:16, 23 September 15
I've lost touch with this game badly when I got my Amstrad back in working order, years of Emulated Joystick on the Emulator I think did the damage.  >:( 

This sounds like a perfect reason to boot up the old game and get some practice in! :D

Quote from: AMSDOS on 11:16, 23 September 15
I also got out Codies Arcade Flight Sim and had similar problems, I couldn't even see the bullets!  :o  But could still play Who Dares Wins II.

I'm not familiar with Codies Arcade Flight Sim, I will have to look it up. I'm assuming from the mention of bullets that it's going to be nothing like MS Flight Sim? :)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 17:12, 24 September 15
This sounds like a perfect reason to boot up the old game and get some practice in! :D

I'm not familiar with Codies Arcade Flight Sim, I will have to look it up. I'm assuming from the mention of bullets that it's going to be nothing like MS Flight Sim? :)

Not sure, it's more like Flying Shark or Sonic Boom.

Your Computer Programs

andycadley

I still think it's overrated. The C64 version is just a bit too much of a tech demo, the scrolling is far too fast to really be playable and frankly it looks a bit ugly. The Spectrum (and by extension Amstrad) versions are, conversely, a little bit too slow and full of some horrendously unfair bits like those X things that home in on your ship, are indestructible and almost impossible to avoid. If the C64 version had been slowed down just a tad, given more forgiving earlier levels and had a bit more artistry on the graphics, I might have rated it.

Zoe Robinson

It is possible to avoid the flying "X" things, although it is quite difficult to do so. They home in on you for a while, then explode on their own. I managed to avoid them in C64 part of the video but not the CPC part but I can confirm (having spent a bit of time playing this morning) that it's definitely possible to avoid them on the CPC version as well.

SOS

Btw. has someone played uridium with the 3.15er firmware?

Puresox

I always found Uridium on the Amstrad , far to challenging to be enjoyable . Not that it isn't too tough to get far in it , it just requires a lot of  concentration. The Amstrad/Spectrum versions have too small a playing area top to bottom . I think it is a shame cos it is almost a reasonable game if the cramped issue wasn't there .
The Homing missile makes things a real pain in the arse , especially because of the limited manoeuvring. If you could shoot it out it would balance things up somewhat 

AMSDOS

Hahaha! Well I used to be a crack flyer when dealing with the "X"!  :D
These days I can still manage it, but have trouble remembering where all the obstacles are!

Your Computer Programs

Zoe Robinson

For a long time I was convinced the obstacles changed position, it was obviously the only reason I was so bad at avoiding them! Couldn't be that I was just a terrible pilot. ;)