News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Metr's vids - Renegade Amstrad cpc HD

Started by NewsBot, 20:00, 03 September 12

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

Renegade Amstrad cpc HD
3 September 2012, 9:05 pm

Recorrido completo por el Renegade para Amstrad CPC Imagine Software (1987) 10:16 - Extra 16:30 -
This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

Shaun M. Neary

Surprised this one didn't get any responses.
I was a huge fan of Double Dragon in the arcades, but it had only just come out, so there wasn't really much that I had that was similar on the Amstrad, and i had gotten a dupe of this at the end of Summer 87, and a trader friend of mine had described it as "You just walk along a pier with your hands in your pockets"!

A day of messing around later and i discovered where the punch, jump and kick keys were, and i actually enjoyed it for a while. But the control method was really awkward having to use the stick to move and the keys to punch. I had never played this in the arcade before either, so was completely unaware of the throw move that was omitted from the CPC version (it was actually Kev who brought it to my attention in 1995, he also brought it to my attention that the blood was blue as the Hungerford massacre had taken place a week or two before the game was released).

Had the potential to be so much more, but that third boss was the toughest out of the three, the fourth one was actually quite easy to beat as long as you beat his cronies with the blades first.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Had to look Hungerford up, what's the connection to the game?

I loved this title, and, being young and naive, didn't find the control scheme awkward at all; I'd gladly take anything you gave me back then! But yes, I agree now. 

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:36, 05 December 12

I loved this title, and, being young and naive, didn't find the control scheme awkward at all; I'd gladly take anything you gave me back then! But yes, I agree now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungerford_massacre

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 18:11, 19 November 12
(...he also brought it to my attention that the blood was blue as the Hungerford massacre had taken place a week or two before the game was released).
Don't remember that... probably read it somewhere else.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:36, 05 December 12

I'd assume it would have to with the end of level 4 boss shooting at you with a gun.
Was just bad timing of the conversion as the game had hit the arcades over a year earlier.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Quote from: Shaun M. NearyQuote from: Gryzor on 05 December 2012, 14:36:41Had to look Hungerford up, what's the connection to the game?

I'd assume it would have to with the end of level 4 boss shooting at you with a gun.
Was just bad timing of the conversion as the game had hit the arcades over a year earlier.
Ah, I see. Still, was it the only game where someone shoots somebody? :D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:35, 12 December 12
Ah, I see. Still, was it the only game where someone shoots somebody? :D

Of course not, but can you think of any other reason to have an effect in the game, only to disable it?

Gryzor

Yeah, you might be right. Another case of stupid social sensitivity.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:39, 16 December 12
Yeah, you might be right. Another case of stupid social sensitivity.

Funny thing is, as bad as things were, PC wise in 1987, we could get away with a lot more back then than we can do now!
Think about the amount of stereotypes in games, especially for the CPC in the 80s, Frank Bruno's boxing being one, and i remember AA going completely insane over Raid!! (They weren't the only ones, as the game was scheduled to be called Raid Over Moscow).

You can just imagine a game coming out these days "Revenge On Afghanistan" (No disrespect to any Afghani's on the forum), and the uproar it would create.

Gryzor

A movie came out recently portraying Bin Laden as a zombie, so I'm not sure what you're talking about :D Trash/propaganda products come out all the time, in videogames too. It's just that we *choose* what to be sensitive about. ``

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:59, 18 December 12
A movie came out recently portraying Bin Laden as a zombie, so I'm not sure what you're talking about :D Trash/propaganda products come out all the time, in videogames too. It's just that we *choose* what to be sensitive about. ``

I guess more and more people are being more choosy then. ;)

Gryzor

Yet my comment was not meant as a compliment to the human race, more of a comment to our hypocrisy... Like, a lunatic shoots 20 children dead? Ohhh, can't make a game that fringes on that event Killing 20 children every week in Palestine? Sure, go ahead and do a game about shooting Arabs. Stuff like that.

XFile2708

This was always my favourite title on the 464 when I owned one originally - however it wasn't until I put it on today that I remembered the combined Joystick/Keyboard controls it had - makes it a lot tougher today than I remember  :laugh: