News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

At last, someone did Super Edge Grinder! :P

Started by rexbeng, 16:36, 02 November 13

Previous topic - Next topic

rexbeng

I asked Alex76gr if he could make a longplay for Super Edge Grinder and a few days after he replied with the uploaded video on Youtube. Thanks mate!  8)

Super Edge Grinder - Amstrad CPC Longplay

One thing I notice after watching it on the PC today is that the image is a bit shakey. I had only watched it on my iPad 'till now where, for some reason, the trembling is not very obvious. I thought that maybe it's because on my PC I'm using IPS monitors with relatively high response time; then again I have not had any similar effects with other videos. Would anyone take a guess on this?

Oh, yeah, Alex76gr has also done a playthrough video for Relentless. :)

Relentless - Amstrad CPC Longplay - CPCWiki 16K Rom Competition

Puresox

^^^^ Brilliant ! Remember to grind those edges for high points!!

With regard to Edge Grinder which version c64 or CPC version was the more difficult too programme? And was the length of the programme vastly bigger?

Axelay

Quote from: rexbeng on 16:36, 02 November 13

One thing I notice after watching it on the PC today is that the image is a bit shakey. I had only watched it on my iPad 'till now where, for some reason, the trembling is not very obvious. I thought that maybe it's because on my PC I'm using IPS monitors with relatively high response time; then again I have not had any similar effects with other videos. Would anyone take a guess on this?

I'm not picking up any shaking in the image on my PC, just that the emulator I assume is being used leaves some junk data on the screen transitions that shouldnt be visible, and has the top scrolling message a character too high so the bottom line of the scroller is rubbish as well.  :-\

TMR

Quote from: Puresox on 23:53, 02 November 13With regard to Edge Grinder which version c64 or CPC version was the more difficult too programme?

i can say with absolute certainty that the CPC was more difficult. The C64 does this kind of thing standing on it's head, so Edge Grinder is 50FPS rather than 25FPS but for seven frames out of eight there's bucketloads of free cycles hanging around; the eighth frame is busier because that's where the colour scroll happens, but it still doesn't get near to 100% use and could be unrolled to some spare RAM under the Kernel ROM if things had been anywhere near desperate.

Quote from: Puresox on 23:53, 02 November 13And was the length of the programme vastly bigger?

Axelay would have to answer for the CPC version but the C64 one is just shy of 16K compressed (it's available on a 16K cartridge) and spreads out to 30K when executing, although it doesn't use all of that space.

Puresox

sigh

??? ?
Why didn't I know about this?!
I played Edge Grinder and loved it, but I had no idea that there was a Super version. It looks incredible!

Very cool scoring system for Relentless.

Gryzor

Wow, good stuff for the afternoon cup of coffee :)

Axelay

Quote from: Puresox on 23:53, 02 November 13
^^^^ Brilliant ! Remember to grind those edges for high points!!

And was the length of the programme vastly bigger?

The CPC version compresses to 31KB.  It expands to occupy every extended RAM bank of a 6128 and 22KB of main RAM.  Of the extended RAM banks, it is using about 53KB.  There was a lot of 'quick and easy' about that high figure though.  10KB for just the player & player shot sprites being compiled sprites to save some CPU time I needed so the music could be 50Hz rather than 25Hz.  15KB are enemy sprites, with another 15KB used for duplicated versions of all those frames for the strobe or flash when you hit them.  In SEG, those were dropped and replaced with a slightly slower single colour flash generated in code.