News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Spellbound Dizzy - GameHammer 59

Started by Zoe Robinson, 21:50, 21 January 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

This one has been a long time coming. I played this so much when I was a kid and never managed to finish it because it has several fundamental flaws but it's still a game I keep coming back to. I don't know why, I just like it despite its faults.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rfh0un_3Kw

robcfg

Hehe, I love your Red Dwarf T-Shirt!

Nice review too, I may give a try to the cracked version.

Zoe Robinson

Thanks. That t-shirt is so old I'm amazed it isn't threadbare by now.

The cracked version is definitely the best version to play.

andycadley

I remember an interview with one of the developers where they said the real problem with the game was the rocks, originally they'd wanted to have some kind of shortcut mechanism so that once you'd got down to any given floor you'd be able to get there again without doing the rocks again. Alas they couldn't figure out a way to do it, so the endless back-tracking became necessary. Taking away the fall damage would have helped a bit, but I think the tedium of rock management is probably still more of an issue - it's still annoying even now knowing exactly what you had to do. Back in the day when you were trying to work things out, having to carry one item down the pit (along with a pile of rocks) just to try something out was a major headache.

It was one of the best in terms of logic to the puzzles though, I think I only really remember getting totally stuck on the amulet puzzle and the snake, because there was no real logic or hinting to it. I'm not sure I could say the same about some of the other games.

Zoe Robinson

Yeah, the rocks kill the game. It's a stupid mechanism and it adds precisely zero. Replacing the hole with a lift would have been better, what with it clearly being a mine shaft and all.

And the amulet is stupid. The leprechaun tells you it "protects against headaches" - so, naturally, I tried it with the unsafe mine shaft where the rocks fall. Who would link "headaches" with "controls underwater monsters"? It's stupid!

Shaun M. Neary

Looking forward to giving this one a watch. I didn't get a chance yesterday.

I still have a lot of love for this game. It's certainly long, and requires a lot of perseverence, but I still think it's worth it.
Anyone thinks this is long should check out Fantastic Dizzy on the Megadrive... that goes on for aaaaaaaaaages!  :o
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Zoe Robinson

I love Fantastic Dizzy on the Mega Drive. It's next on my list of graphic adventures to review! :D