News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The commercial decline of the CPC

Started by chinnyhill10, 01:04, 26 October 14

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MaV

Now, I'm wondering what effect the solar eclipse of 1999 had? (apart from partying like it's 1999.)

Crap! That was 15 years ago!

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

TFM

Well, it ended the commercial game production for Amiga and C64  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 17:45, 28 October 14
I only resorted to the internet when I had exhausted all other avenues. I even wrote to Titus to try and buy prehistorik2 and super cauldron directly as I failed to find any shop even willing to order me a copy. And the mail order options in AA were constantly out of stock. Titus btw did not even bother to reply. So perhaps the software houses were also slightly to blame by making the product unavailable.

I don't believe Titus bothered to put those games through the distribution channels in the UK. Wasn't worth it. Suspect all the copies went to France. AA turned a blind eye as they were so desperate to have ANY game to cover (look at the whole Fluff fiasco).
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

Well, I bought Fluff in Germany and I think it's a great game.
TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 19:49, 28 October 14

I don't believe Titus bothered to put those games through the distribution channels in the UK. Wasn't worth it. Suspect all the copies went to France. AA turned a blind eye as they were so desperate to have ANY game to cover (look at the whole Fluff fiasco).
If that is the truth, then it is annoying to say the least, I am still trying to legalise my copies of those 2, and it seems whoever has them is not sellin, even on E-bay at inflated proces.

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

chinnyhill10

I'm just guessing. Certainly I've not heard of anyone who managed to get hold of a copy.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

Now we found the real reason! Companies killed the CPC [nb]game market[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft

Axelay

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:10, 28 October 14
If that is the truth, then it is annoying to say the least, I am still trying to legalise my copies of those 2, and it seems whoever has them is not sellin, even on E-bay at inflated proces.

Craig
FWIW, Super Cauldron certainly was available in the UK through at least one of the mail order companies advertising in AA, as that's where I got my own copy of the game from.

Gryzor

Yeah, but to be fair, if the only market channel you've got is mail order then the market's dead...

CraigsBar

Quote from: Axelay on 14:01, 29 October 14
FWIW, Super Cauldron certainly was available in the UK through at least one of the mail order companies advertising in AA, as that's where I got my own copy of the game from.
I guess it was available in Ultra small quantities then, I seem to recall I tried all the AA Advertisers for a long time, looking for both SC and P2, and none of them had them in stock :( Still a few years later I found NVG and was able to download them and make my own copies, If only I could still get a pair f these in good condition tho. they would take pride of place in my CPC Games Box.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

MacDeath

Quote2013, what was that? If we include the occasional retro game release the it's not over yet. I hear no fat lady singing!
Yeah, this is getting slightly quiet but we had a nice peek around 2009-20012 in big productions.

2013 : the ROM games contest was quite interesting.
Phortem is a massively graphic-rich demo.
Still Rising also had its faire share of nice things.

2014 saw mostly the releases of great hardware peripherals indeed but not really big massive megagames or demos...

Well the demoscene was quite occupied by the 30YMD which may actually be released next year. .
Breaking Baud still managed decent place at a multinational DEMO competition and was a true tribute to the CPC464 in its way.
SymbOs development started again, FutureOS got a ew skin and as I told, this year 2014 was more into peripherals and even apps.

Also 2014 is not finished yet, we can expect quite some surprise for christmas as often.

since a few years, we can see Amstradists attending to Demoparties to compete or compare with other machines more often and getting more visibility and new adepts.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpOuINFDWF4

Axelay

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:15, 29 October 14
Yeah, but to be fair, if the only market channel you've got is mail order then the market's dead...

It wasn't my intent to comment on the state of the market one way or the other, just mentioning SC had been available in the UK, for however brief a time that may have been, after suggestions it hadn't.  But I would have ordered that after reading the review, and thinking about whether to get it, and AA took a couple months to get here, so it's a little surprising to hear it was so hard to get hold of considering I didnt seem to have any problems - it didn't take any longer than the other games I ordered from the UK.

MacDeath

Jqut get a nice iTunes and iOS CPC/PLUS emulator and then you can market the games via iTnes Appstore and get a huge real market... or not.