Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Back To The Future (Part I) - Longplay & Review

Started by NewsBot, 04:01, 22 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Back To The Future (Part I) - Longplay & Review

Source: Xyphoe
This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

andycadley

I know everyone slates this game, but I loved it back in the day. And I still think it deserves some kudos for at least trying to recreate the key plot of the film, rather than just picking out a couple of vague scenes and turning them into a platform/subgame combo as all later movie licenses tended to do.

Puresox

You didn't have some part in the game did you?
It's nice to know someone appreciates it though.

andycadley

Hehehe, no, not guilty.  ;)

I also love Ghostbusters. I may just be crazy.

Carnivius

Quote from: andycadley on 21:19, 22 October 15
I know everyone slates this game, but I loved it back in the day. And I still think it deserves some kudos for at least trying to recreate the key plot of the film, rather than just picking out a couple of vague scenes and turning them into a platform/subgame combo as all later movie licenses tended to do.

I can understand that but what they came up with didn't turn out to be a fun, involving or even remotely lengthy game.

Quote from: andycadley on 22:02, 22 October 15

I still think that was a great concept and just needed an improved sequel that built on the formula (such as instead of just having two guys show up outside a building to catch one ghost in those bits, it could be a hunt through hotel corridors chasing Slimer who goes through walls and trying to track him again and causing lots of damage to things).
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Puresox

Hehehe, no, not guilty.  ;)

A lot of people love/like Ghostbusters out there. I can't understand the fascination with it .The game is just too laborious and unchallenging. The Ghost catching bit is just pants(IMO) appears to be the same process time after time , without a significant step up in challenge . Driving too and from buildings is such a casual affair , there is just nothing to get your heart racing . I find it all so very bland. If the components of the game were padded out some more , I think the game would have more impact on me . Having said all this , I am going to give it a go later and see if I can eek out some enjoyment

seanb

Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Shaun M. Neary

Never had the privilege of playing this one.

I also enjoyed Ghostbusters. It was a slow starter, but once you got multiple buildings with ghost alerts, and the pace picked up, I too had a good bit of fun playing it.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

dodogildo

I first played the Ghostbusters on my best friend's C64 and it was awesome. That's why I never managed to love the CPC version when I bougth a copy . [emoji24]

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

M'enfin!

Carnivius

Quote from: dodogildo on 10:51, 31 October 15

I first played the Ghostbusters on my best friend's C64 and it was awesome. That's why I never managed to love the CPC version when I bougth a copy .

Why? There's barely any difference.  And barring the small speech sample I prefer the music on the CPC version over the really nasally sounding SID rendition.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

dodogildo

Quote from: Carnivac on 12:55, 31 October 15
Why? There's barely any difference.  And barring the small speech sample I prefer the music on the CPC version over the really nasally sounding SID rendition.
No, the audio was the only good thing about the CPC version as far as I can remember. The rest was awful.

M'enfin!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: dodogildo on 13:12, 31 October 15
No, the audio was the only good thing about the CPC version as far as I can remember. The rest was awful.

Not understanding this comment at all, the gameplay was virtually identical across both formats, and that's pretty much what's on trial.
Only difference I noticed between the two was the tape loading was longer on the C64 and it's stupid external drive was so wonky when it came to loading that it often threw up 5 seconds towards the end because the volume wasn't adjusted correctly  >:(
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Puresox

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 02:53, 04 November 15

Not understanding this comment at all, the gameplay was virtually identical across both formats, and that's pretty much what's on trial.
Only difference I noticed between the two was the tape loading was longer on the C64 and it's stupid external drive was so wonky when it came to loading that it often threw up 5 seconds towards the end because the volume wasn't adjusted correctly  >:(

To the casual viewer , it would be easy to say that 'Ghostbusters' is the same game across the board . But this is definitely not the case, Parts like the flickery driving sections , the ghosts in this section are very poorly done and there is no animation of them being sucked up by the vacuum , the C64 has a neat effect when this occurs. The Ghost catching section have limited speech compared to the C64, the graphics and animation of the trap and the laser power packs are not as refined. There are numerous other small details that make the CPC version look very lacking in comparison. Unfortunately we have come to expect it and accept it . No love put into the CPC port at all .

I definitely feel that the attitude of doing the  bare minimum was put into CPC ports.  No sweet touches ,just pure functionality  >:(

TFM

Well, yes, that happened too often. Just quick and dirty. Just ripp off the CPC owners.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Puresox on 15:41, 09 November 15

To the casual viewer , it would be easy to say that 'Ghostbusters' is the same game across the board . But this is definitely not the case, Parts like the flickery driving sections , the ghosts in this section are very poorly done and there is no animation of them being sucked up by the vacuum , the C64 has a neat effect when this occurs. The Ghost catching section have limited speech compared to the C64, the graphics and animation of the trap and the laser power packs are not as refined. There are numerous other small details that make the CPC version look very lacking in comparison. Unfortunately we have come to expect it and accept it . No love put into the CPC port at all .

I definitely feel that the attitude of doing the  bare minimum was put into CPC ports.  No sweet touches ,just pure functionality  >:(

Be that as it may, but honestly, did you give a crap about all of that when you were playing it at aged 11? I didn't!  :laugh:
It's the only thing that drives me mad about the games section of this forum. The games are seeing from a developers point of view as opposed to a players point of view.

Puresox

I did as a kid, I have to be honest , I picked up on it and felt the raw deal at the time , so my pov is from the same perspective although more defined now