Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Batman The Movie - Review & Longplay

Started by NewsBot, 01:00, 21 April 11

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Batman The Movie - Review & Longplay
20 April 2011, 11:51 pm

Official film licence movie to game conversion of Batman (1989) to the Amstrad CPC! And this is my 2nd "live review" whilst playing the game to completion! Hope you enjoy - this is one the greatest ever movie to game conversions, probably the best of the 80's just pipping Robocop to the post for me! The Amstrad version is superb with lovely colourful graphics, smooth gameplay and scrolling, great sprites and wonderful music and sfx. This of course is based on Tim Burton's 1989 movie with Jack Nicholson as the Joker and Michael Keaton as Batman, and I think it captures the spirit and atmosphere of the movie superbly. Not to be confused with the earlier two Batman games on the Amstrad ("Batman" being Jon Ritman and Bernie Drummonds isometric adventure before Head Over Heels came along, and "Batman The Caped Crusader" another arcade adventure which follows the old comic books style). cpc-power.com www.imdb.com
Time: 30:13More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by Xyphoe

This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

redbox

Ah, great memories and game.

Anyone know if it's hardware scrolling?

arnoldemu

Quote from: redbox on 08:59, 21 April 11
Ah, great memories and game.

Anyone know if it's hardware scrolling?
I can tell it's software scrolling.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

redbox

Xyphoe

Quote from: arnoldemu on 10:07, 21 April 11
I can tell it's software scrolling.

Really? How have they got it so smooth and fast with lots of sprites and animations, plus music and sfx in 64k of memory?
(note the 128k version is no different, it just loads up all the levels in one go)

This is impressive stuff.

sigh

It's interesting about the bleeper comment for the spectrum when it came to sound fx and music. There is a noise channel on the CPC and I wonder if they could of used it in a similar way?

I used to play this game so much . Really glad that Ocean got the license.

Xyphoe

Quote from: sigh on 13:23, 22 April 11
It's interesting about the bleeper comment for the spectrum when it came to sound fx and music. There is a noise channel on the CPC and I wonder if they could of used it in a similar way?

Wouldn't it still use one of the 3 available channels of the AY chip tho?

If so I think the point is the Spectrum + series had the AY chip installed but kept the old 'beeper/buzzer' so could use both with clever programming.

Another thing the CPC could do and used rarely (I guess because it could wear it out) was use the tape drive motor to make sounds! I can't remember which games used this. I do remember writing a BASIC program years ago to make the tape motor go 'click' on command.

andycadley

Quote from: Xyphoe on 13:37, 25 April 11
If so I think the point is the Spectrum + series had the AY chip installed but kept the old 'beeper/buzzer' so could use both with clever programming.
Yep, white noise on the AY takes one of the channels and I think it's used for the drums in the music anyway. The spectrum has the extra beeper capability, so can get away with a bit more than the CPC.

Quote from: Xyphoe on 13:37, 25 April 11
Another thing the CPC could do and used rarely (I guess because it could wear it out) was use the tape drive motor to make sounds! I can't remember which games used this. I do remember writing a BASIC program years ago to make the tape motor go 'click' on command.
You can do that, not sure it's terribly good for the longevity of the tape motor though. And you'd not get sound effects on a 6128 either.

norecess

Good memories too. As a kid I loved Batman as much as RocoCop !  :)

In-game music was also excellent. In my Top-10 CPC game!

(and I'm not usually fan of movies converted to video games, but I recognize the authors were very well inspired there)

MacDeath

QuoteAnother thing the CPC could do and used rarely (I guess because it could   wear it out) was use the tape drive motor to make sounds! I can't   remember which games used this. I do remember writing a BASIC program   years ago to make the tape motor go 'click' on command.
Yeah, a nice way to kill your Datacorder actually faster... ;)

norecess

Xyphoe

Quote from: norecess on 21:06, 25 April 11
Lol, this makes me remind that awesome vid' :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmoDLyiQYKw (Phantom of the Floppera)

Hahahaha! That's amazing!
I love these kind of vids, first one I saw a few years ago was the Star Wars floppy disk one -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4SCSGRVAQE
(actually that sounds better than some of the Speccy's beeper music!)

Ooooh... maybe we could use the 664/6128 disk drive to make sounds then as well?  ;D ;D ;D

Shaun M. Neary

Oh man, i absolutely love this game.
I could never get off level 4 though, the batwing level. It just got too tough for me at that point.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?