Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Boulder Dash - Longplay & Review

Started by NewsBot, 07:00, 09 December 11

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Boulder Dash - Longplay & Review
9 December 2011, 4:20 am

The classic BOULDER DASH on the Amstrad CPC review and longplay! Control Rockford as he dashes about caves collecting diamonds, blowing up butterflies, avoiding fireflies and ameoba and other crazy things then escape before time runs out! Fantasticly simple fun game, that's great for a quick blast but with great long term appeal because underneath lies a very clever puzzle and thinking game with physics and planning to think about amongst all the chaos and fast action! Thankfully the Amstrad received a fantastic conversion of the Atari 8-bit original :) Longplay is just for 1st difficulty setting, I may go back and do the others at a later date. (c) Mirrorsoft 1984 cpc-power.com en.wikipedia.org From: Xyphoe Views: 0 0 ratings Time: 39:43 More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by Xyphoe

This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

rexbeng

Hi there

Great vid as always. But "great use of mode 1 graphics"? Looks like "rather bad use of mode 0" to me I must say. Still, a great game for it's time, I'd been playing it for hours. And those electric sounds are so haunting  :D

regards,
rb

mr_lou

Indeed, Boulder Dash has never been a MODE 1 game. It is MODE 0.

SyX

"bad use of mode 0"??? Well, they decided to give more priority to simulate a tile system with "colour cycling" (genious idea), instead of making a colourful and more slow game. For me it was a success, the game is so enjoyable as the first day and we are talking about one of the first cpc games, jejeje.

Xyphoe

Oh right, always thought it was mode 1 because it only uses 4 colours in game?

Anyway they designed it to be accurate to the Atari and C64 versions/originals and looks very very close to them, but better (bolder colours, gfx look crisper) - so in my view they succeeded very well.

mr_lou

Btw Xyphoe, thought you should know, your videos are being watched a lot in our home. We put them on the TV and sit in the couch. (Goes for Axelino and Cholo and Metr videos too, but Xyphoe is the only one commenting while playing, which does give the entertainment part a little extra). Yesterday we say your Battleship and Jack the Nipper video. Always good entertainment. Love your enthusiasm. :-)

A request: Longplay of the game Super Sleuth
It's a MODE 1 game, I think similar to Jack the Nipper. Would really like to see that game to the end.

rexbeng

I keep wondering who would do a longplay of Megablasters  :P

Now that I come to think of it, Gryzor, shouldnt there be a topic about longplay vids in general in this forum? You know, to comment current vids, suggest future ones etc and not troll the newsbot posts  :P

rb

Xyphoe

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:47, 12 December 11
Btw Xyphoe, thought you should know, your videos are being watched a lot in our home. We put them on the TV and sit in the couch. (Goes for Axelino and Cholo and Metr videos too, but Xyphoe is the only one commenting while playing, which does give the entertainment part a little extra). Yesterday we say your Battleship and Jack the Nipper video. Always good entertainment. Love your enthusiasm. :-)

A request: Longplay of the game Super Sleuth
It's a MODE 1 game, I think similar to Jack the Nipper. Would really like to see that game to the end.

Wow!! That's really lovely to know, that made me smile this morning :) thanks so much for your kind words :) I'll take a look at Super Sleuth at some point, never played it though.

Xyphoe

Quote from: rexbeng on 09:15, 12 December 11
I keep wondering who would do a longplay of Megablasters  :P

Already in the works!!! Have been chatting with Odie ( ... some time ago actually so need to pick this up again .... ) who has helping me find all the hidden secrets and extras! Should be able to make a quite a special video from this, might be able to do some kind of interview or insights into the making of this game etc :)

Gryzor

Fruity Frank!
Oh, wait...
Indeed, an impressive game for such an early title...  I love how the character blinks and taps his foot. Nice touch. Some levels look totally like a CGA version with all those blues and purples! :D
@rexbeng: why not comment in these threads here? Ok, I could add a subforum where to move these posts, but I wonder if it'd be worth it. Any opinions?

mr_lou

rexbeng

@Gryzor. Well It's just a suggestion. Asking for the Megablasters longplay which is kind of irrelevant to the Boulder Dash topic made me think that it would be nice to have all longplay related chatting gathered in one single topic. Then again, that's just me. Maybe someone else has an opinion on this? Hello? Anyone?  :P

rb

steve

I think it is better to keep all comments together in the newsbot threads, so we do not have to search for them (which nobody does).

Gryzor

If a subforum were opened for longplays the newsbot posts would move there, too (those that include a longplay, that is). Please do keep opinions coming in :)

steve

If longplay (and short) videos go onto their respective pages in the Wiki, would the comments go with them? or just have a link to the forum?

Bryce

Why do the longplay videos always appear three times in the post?

Bryce.

DPG

I saw the tape cover for boulderdash IV and it reminded me I used to own it! God knows where it is now though, I'm sure the construction pack used to work on my copy.

awergh

I tried playing my copy of boulderdash IV never checked the construction pack but oh it was soooo hard when I tried couldn't really get anywhere with the levels luckily the original seemed much easier.

MacDeath

steve

Quote from: Bryce on 16:10, 12 December 11
Why do the longplay videos always appear three times in the post?

Bryce.

I have just tried to play all 3 videos together but as well as being difficult to follow 3 commentaries at once the sound quality is also poor, maybe I need a faster computer, but I do not see any advantage in having 3 videos on the same page. ;D

Gryzor

@Steve: this has nothing to do with the wiki. I have started moving all the relevant threads to the new subforum, but the wiki pages are stand-alone. Of course links to the appropriate thread would be a must :)

@Bryce: This one I haven't managed to solve I'm afraid... something in the rss feed that gets interpreted as three instances of the video :(