Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Combat School - Longplay & Review

Started by NewsBot, 22:00, 18 August 12

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Combat School - Longplay & Review
18 August 2012, 8:50 pm

Longplay / walkthrough and review of "Combat School" (aka "Boot Camp") on the Amstrad CPC! Another multi-event joystick waggling game, this one has an excellent theme and nice variety, including a final action game and level rescuing the president of the United States when the White House gets taken over by terrorists! You're sent in without even a gun! That's how HARDCORE this game is! And it is VERY tough, and quite a frustrating game. Made worse by some suspect controls on the firing range and instructor fight, plus talking of the latter be warned you might experience a game crash! ARGH!! However it's EXCELLENTLY presented and put together, by one of Ocean's top programming teams.... (c) Konami / Ocean Software 1987 cpc-power.com en.wikipedia.org[/t]
Time: 14:16More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by Xyphoe
This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

Gryzor

You make it seem so easy! Lovely gfx indeed...

Oh, and if I recall correctly Gryzor had a CS demo, too?

mahlemiut

Yes, the disk version, at least, included a playable demo of Combat School.  First stage only.
- Barry Rodewald

Shaun M. Neary

I had this on a tape version of The Hit Squad compilation that was released in 88, i think.

It was addictive, if anything else, and the joystick waggler sections were actually fun for me. But what used to piss me off, was for some reason (and if any other tape users out there who played this, please confirm?), when i got to the fight with instructor level, the game just crashed. Every damn time. I never did get to the end of the game as a result of it. Might give it a shot later tonight :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Did people actually played this sort of games with joysticks? I remember going to for the keyboard option... a wonder my CPC made it. Let's see them Speccies trying to do that! Hah!

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:37, 19 November 12
Did people actually played this sort of games with joysticks? I remember going to for the keyboard option... a wonder my CPC made it. Let's see them Speccies trying to do that! Hah!
yeah I did, it was the only way to beat the iron man bit. I think you had to do circular motion to beat that.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:46, 19 November 12
yeah I did, it was the only way to beat the iron man bit. I think you had to do circular motion to beat that.

Same, actually broke a Quickshot II playing this, and another QS playing Hypersports.
Best joysticks for playing those kind of games were the Powerplay Cruisers. You could actually adjust the sensitivity of the things, so if you tightened them, they made for great wagglers (o'er!)

Circular motion was the only way this was gonna work. The first stage can only be barely scraped through using keyboard, and if you're lucky enough to do that, you have very little chance of getting past arm wrestling using heys.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

I remember that when I played such games with the keyboard my fingers' motion was a continuous one (of sorts), very fast. Quite effective.

Only joystick I had broken was a QSII on Speed King :)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:08, 23 November 12
I remember that when I played such games with the keyboard my fingers' motion was a continuous one (of sorts), very fast. Quite effective.

Only joystick I had broken was a QSII on Speed King :)

I could never get that right when using keyboard. Hypersports was the worst game for that too.