Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Ghosts'N Goblins - Longplay & Review

Started by NewsBot, 03:01, 31 October 12

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Ghosts'N Goblins - Longplay & Review
31 October 2012, 3:39 am

Review and longplay / walkthrough for "Ghosts 'N' Goblins" on the Amstrad CPC! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! It's about time I looked at this game - one of my personal favourites and most memorable on the Amstrad (for good and bad!) - there's already a couple of longplays up on YouTube for this one .... but it is HALLOWEEN so it's time to look at this one and it's sequel! (c) Elite Systems 1986 CPC-POWER, sauvegarde du patrimoine de l'Amstrad CPC (c) Capcom 1985 en.wikipedia.org Arcade, Videogame, Pinball Machine, and Antique Coin-Operated History -- The Interesting interview and loads of details about the making of the game at the Pickford Brothers website - Zee-3 Digital Publishing Oh and I wasn't going nuts, this WAS the game featured in the soap opera Neighbours! PEOWW[/t][/t]
Time: 12:27More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by Xyphoe
This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

Shaun M. Neary

I remember being so fed up about the fact that there were only three levels in the game that looped.

I could live with the lack of additional weapons by comparison to the Arcade version, and the jerky scrolling (or lack of), but when my game ended after about 10 minutes, i wanted to bin the tape. :(
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Shaun, I remember being so fed up that I couldn't ever even see those three levels :D

arnoldemu

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:11, 19 November 12
I remember being so fed up about the fact that there were only three levels in the game that looped.

I could live with the lack of additional weapons by comparison to the Arcade version, and the jerky scrolling (or lack of), but when my game ended after about 10 minutes, i wanted to bin the tape. :(
You were too good at it ;)

It was one of the first games I got with my cpc6128, and could only ever reach level 2.
it was too hard for me.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:47, 19 November 12
You were too good at it ;)

It was one of the first games I got with my cpc6128, and could only ever reach level 2.
it was too hard for me.

The sad thing is, I wasn't!
It was ridiculously hard for me too. I first got it in 88, but it wasn't until about 91 when i got off level 2. And i think it was only about two years ago when I actually did discover that there was nothing after level 3.

Beyond The Ice Palace was a much better game, although it was also insanely difficult.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Beyond the Ice Palace. Some wonderful remixes out there, still one of my favourite tunes. A really great game. Difficult, yes, but not insanely so! And it's not like I was a dream player or anything...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:09, 23 November 12
Beyond the Ice Palace. Some wonderful remixes out there, still one of my favourite tunes. A really great game. Difficult, yes, but not insanely so! And it's not like I was a dream player or anything...

I don't believe i ever finished BTIP. I made it to the final level alright, but i don't believe i ever made it to the end. :(

AMSDOS

I remember reading about the problem Ghosts'N Goblins had if you were using a TV Modulator - something to do with the scrolling I think?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: CP/M User on 02:02, 24 November 12
I remember reading about the problem Ghosts'N Goblins had if you were using a TV Modulator - something to do with the scrolling I think?

I had the CTM 644 Colour monitor - But the scrolling on that was horrid enough. I can't imagine it would have done for TV sets in the 80s!

AMSDOS

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 04:19, 24 November 12

I had the CTM 644 Colour monitor - But the scrolling on that was horrid enough. I can't imagine it would have done for TV sets in the 80s!

Hmm interesting, I didn't really notice any problems when I used to play it on my 6128 with that monitor. This was the article on Hardware Scrolling which had the stuff about Ghost 'N Goblins.

http://cpcwiki.eu/imgs/d/d6/TAU_26Page56.JPG
http://cpcwiki.eu/imgs/0/02/TAU_26Page57.JPG
http://cpcwiki.eu/imgs/8/87/TAU_26Page58.JPG
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Quote from: CP/M UserI remember reading about the problem Ghosts'N Goblins had if you were using a TV Modulator - something to do with the scrolling I think?
Rolling image or something? I remember something similar being discussed a while ago between Bryce and another member...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 21:03, 24 November 12
Rolling image or something? I remember something similar being discussed a while ago between Bryce and another member...

Pretty much this. Now i could handle it, if it was executed properly, but in the case of Ghosts n Goblins, it wasn't. In fact, you could move off the screen and make enemies vanish when you went back onto the screen again. It caused so many glitches in that game, that it sapped a lot of fun out of it.