Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge - Longplay & Review

Started by NewsBot, 08:50, 28 February 16

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[/url]
27 February 2016, 3:19 pm

[AMSTRAD CPC] Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge - Longplay & Review

Source: Xyphoe
This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

sigh

Superb! I really enjoyed this review (was taking a break and playing some games while watching it) and I think that other reasons for the speed taking a hit, is because of the hills. I do like the graphics in this game as they have chosen some nice colours for each of the levels.

I also quite liked this game as there is always something challenging about being in 1st place and trying to hold it, rather than just passing car after car to beat the clock.

andycadley

Loved this one, Lotus is something of an underrated classic I think. The screen space is a bit tiny though, it has to be said. And well done on finding things to talk about on for such a long video, every bit as entertaining as ever. :-)

chinnyhill10

Quote from: andycadley on 22:37, 29 February 16
And well done on finding things to talk about on for such a long video, every bit as entertaining as ever. :-)

Dunno if he's reading. Newsbot posted that!

Anyway, have to be honest here but always found Lotus fairly terrible. Awful frame rate and you play the game in a tiny window. Even on the Amiga it doesn't work as the visibility is so awful.

Lotus 2 on the 16 bits solved this. But Lotus 1 always was a flawed game and on the CPC it's just a juddering mess played in a tiny window. Sadly I paid actual money for the CPC version when it came out on budget on the strength of what Amstrad Action had said and wish I hadn't!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 22:50, 29 February 16

Dunno if he's reading. Newsbot posted that!

Anyway, have to be honest here but always found Lotus fairly terrible. Awful frame rate and you play the game in a tiny window. Even on the Amiga it doesn't work as the visibility is so awful.

Lotus 2 on the 16 bits solved this. But Lotus 1 always was a flawed game and on the CPC it's just a juddering mess played in a tiny window. Sadly I paid actual money for the CPC version when it came out on budget on the strength of what Amstrad Action had said and wish I hadn't!

In agreement with this.
The colour choices, I thought were awful. It just looked like a lacklustre speccy port for me. And another CPC racer where the cars wheels doesn't actually move. Tiny playing area doesn't help. I really do not know what AA saw in this one at all.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 07:37, 01 March 16

In agreement with this.
The colour choices, I thought were awful. It just looked like a lacklustre speccy port for me. And another CPC racer where the cars wheels doesn't actually move. Tiny playing area doesn't help. I really do not know what AA saw in this one at all.

+ I recall trying it in 2 player mode with a friend. My recollection is the frame rate reduced even more rendering what was a neat idea utterly useless.

Speccy version moves a bit better but the 2 player mode is still fairly hopeless and the window you play the game in is just silly. Works on a game with smaller sprites and no hills but there is no visibility at all when hills are involved.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

ukmarkh

Perfectly acceptable on the Speccy, but not on the Amstrad... Where's all the colour?

I'm sorry, but that poor frame rate and lack of colour kills off any real excitement for me!   

||C|-|E||

This game was probably better suited for Mode 0. But, in any case, I agree, you can have much much neater graphics than that in Mode 1 if you care about the results. I do not know if this would have compromised the performance even more, since I ignore how the program is filling the sprites, but it does not look very nice. The static wheels do not help either, just a flickering would have looked ten times better.

Surprisingly, yesterday I saw a low budget racing game for the CPC that I actually liked a lot! I do not remember the name, but it looked and moved just great!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 12:46, 01 March 16

+ I recall trying it in 2 player mode with a friend. My recollection is the frame rate reduced even more rendering what was a neat idea utterly useless.

Speccy version moves a bit better but the 2 player mode is still fairly hopeless and the window you play the game in is just silly. Works on a game with smaller sprites and no hills but there is no visibility at all when hills are involved.

It's like nobody learned from the abortion that was Scalextric... only at least the car wheels moved!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Fessor

I wished Lotus looked that good...
(And that this will become a playable game)

Executioner

Quote from: Fessor on 10:51, 15 March 16
I wished Lotus looked that good...
(And that this will become a playable game)

Wow, never seen that before, seems quite smooth, and the video is 2 years old. Any idea who's actually writing it?

Gryzor

With such a small play area, such jerky scrolling and this colour mode I doubt it's an underrated classic, unfortunately...

Mode 1 would be nice, but here it's not used to full effect.