Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Double Dragon II - Longplay & Review

Started by NewsBot, 10:00, 01 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Double Dragon II - Longplay & Review
1 March 2011, 5:50 am

[AMSTRAD CPC] Double Dragon II - Longplay & Review

Double Dragon 2 from the Amstrad CPC! Yet another case of two versions existing? Yup ... except if you bought this on DISK you definitely would have got the 'good' version which is this one! Tape owners were not so lucky.... But anyway another great Richard Aplin conversion!! Just as good as the first game if not better..... OH and I include something at the start of the vid I neglected to mention in my previous long play and review of Double Dragon 1. cpc-power.com doubledragon.kontek.net en.wikipedia.org
Time: 31:24More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by Xyphoe

This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

sigh

Another good review. That front kick is strange as I'm sure that's not in the original DD2. Arcade DD2 has the back kick to the stomach and the hurricane kick. I also noticed that when the characters are punching, they only use one hand, which I forgot about. (I think they have left and right punches in CPC DD1).

I had this game on tape for my expanded 464 with 64Kb memory expansion. If I remember correctly, it still had the loading sections.

Xyphoe

Quote from: sigh on 20:00, 01 March 11
I had this game on tape for my expanded 464 with 64Kb memory expansion. If I remember correctly, it still had the loading sections.

Woah ... so you had this very version of the game on cassette? And it wasn't a copy or dump?  ??? ie it wasn't the crap version of Double Dragon II ie - http://cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=404 ??

sigh

Quote from: Xyphoe on 00:22, 02 March 11
Woah ... so you had this very version of the game on cassette? And it wasn't a copy or dump?  ??? ie it wasn't the crap version of Double Dragon II ie - http://cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=404 ??

I have never seen that version in my entire life! I know that Macdeath had posted a pic in the target renegade forum and that was the first I had known of it's existence. It must be a very rare version?

Mine was a proper bought copy (from virgin megastore!). I'm quite sure that I gave it away to someone on this forum. If not, then my mate probably has it somewhere as I gave a whole heap of games to him. I'll try and check with him when I get the chance.

Xyphoe

Quote from: sigh on 02:18, 02 March 11
I have never seen that version in my entire life! I know that Macdeath had posted a pic in the target renegade forum and that was the first I had known of it's existence. It must be a very rare version?

Mine was a proper bought copy (from virgin megastore!). I'm quite sure that I gave it away to someone on this forum. If not, then my mate probably has it somewhere as I gave a whole heap of games to him. I'll try and check with him when I get the chance.

LOL! So hang on then ... did you have the 'crap' version or the 'good' version as per this video then? Just to make sure we've not got wires crossed here!

sigh

Quote from: Xyphoe on 03:52, 02 March 11
LOL! So hang on then ... did you have the 'crap' version or the 'good' version as per this video then? Just to make sure we've not got wires crossed here!

The good version - on tape. :)

Xyphoe

Quote from: sigh on 19:14, 02 March 11
The good version - on tape. :)

Really?  :o

Was that the full price / big box release?
Also was that UK / France / Spain you got this?

This is really odd as the crap version should have been on the cassette - I'm 90% certain the Tronix budget re-release like DD1 was the crap version because Amstrad Action said it was one of the worst games ever and in a readers poll (somewhere around the 100th issue) DD2 ranked in the top 5 worst games ever.... it seemed again a lot of readers who purchased DD2 got the crap one....

sigh

I'm quite certain because I actually bought my copy from Virgin Megatore (or it could of been W.H. Smith as they used to sell games). Also, as well as never setting eyes on that other version od DD2, I also never owned a disk drive!

I'm starting to wonder if there were 2 versions on that tape and if it detected more than 64K of ram, it would play the good version.

Xyphoe

Quote from: sigh on 01:56, 03 March 11
I'm quite certain because I actually bought my copy from Virgin Megatore (or it could of been W.H. Smith as they used to sell games). Also, as well as never setting eyes on that other version od DD2, I also never owned a disk drive!

I'm starting to wonder if there were 2 versions on that tape and if it detected more than 64K of ram, it would play the good version.

Bizarre!!! I'm well confused then.
Did it have to load each section of the level from tape each time? for example on the 1st level in my 128k vid after killing about 3 bad guys, there's a disk load for a fight against the first mid level guardian!

Did anyone buy the Tronix budget re-release of the game and can they confirm which version was there?
And did anyone buy it full price to discover it was the crap version?

sigh

It did load mid-level on tape and I remember finding this very strange. I'm really going to have to check with my friend just to make sure my memory isn't failing me!

Xyphoe

I feel a bit of twat now for saying in the vid that if you bought the tape version it would have been the crap one!  :laugh:

I hate getting facts wrong!