Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Pac-Mania - Longplay & Review

Started by NewsBot, 19:52, 13 March 11

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Pac-Mania - Longplay & Review
12 March 2011, 7:12 pm

[AMSTRAD CPC] Pac-Mania - Longplay & Review

Pac Mania longplay and review for the Amstrad CPC! A decent arcade conversion of the popular coin-op sequel to the legendary Pac Man, fantastic music let down by monochrome graphics, lack of speed and jerky scrolling. I complete the first main section before it starts looping at the 30min mark. Now! Can anyone help out with mystery numbers on the completion screen message??? What do these mean? - 0709--370102 All I can find from Googling them is this page - cd.textfiles.com Apparently that was the phone number for Chrysalis Software .... were you supposed to ring that number to win a prize or something? Hm! 19 rounds in total! 7 main rounds - starts looping levels for 12 more levels after the 30min mark in this order - Block Town x 3 Pacmans Park x 3 Sandbox Land x 2 Block Town x 1 Jungly Steps x 2 Block Town x 1 cpc-power.com

Views: 51

4 ratings
Time: 01:19:53More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by Xyphoe

This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

Gryzor

I never liked PacMan, but I always loved Pacmania. On the CPC as well (where I first played it), but also on my ST and later the arcade original - it's just too nice :)

Xyphoe

Yes I have fond memories too of it :) Ahh nostalgia....

But can anyone help out on the Pac Mania mystery I talked about? What are these strange numbers for on the completion screen - "0709--370102" ??

steve

Looks like a phone number to me, maybe the instructions told the user to ring that number when they completed the game?

arnoldemu

Quote from: Xyphoe on 09:24, 14 March 11
Yes I have fond memories too of it :) Ahh nostalgia....

But can anyone help out on the Pac Mania mystery I talked about? What are these strange numbers for on the completion screen - "0709--370102" ??
It's an old style phone number, 01709 is the correct code now.
The number is probably +441709370102

01709 is the area code for Rotherham in the UK, probably the offices of Krisalis the company who made the conversion. Krisalis closed 5 or 6 years ago.

(Pete Harrap and Shaun Hollingworth were 2 of the 3 company directors and both were programmers. Both came from Gremlin, but setup their own company, along with Tony Kavanagh.

I know this, because I used to work there ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Xyphoe

Yea ... that's what I figured!

Here's what I wrote in the vid description if you missed it -

QuoteNow! Can anyone help out with mystery numbers on the completion screen message??? What do these mean? - 0709--370102
All I can find from Googling them is this page - http://cd.textfiles.com/suzybatari2/finances/moneymak/txtfiles/softpubl.txt
Apparently   that was the phone number for Chrysalis Software .... were you supposed   to ring that number to win a prize or something? Hm!

I've been through the manual and also the advertisement scans on CPC Power but no mention of this.

Xyphoe

OMG! Guys ... just found something very random and amazing... I just found the original game I bought as a kid to see if there was a paper insert in the box with some competition to call the number you get on completing the game but didn't find anything HOWEVER inside was still the receipt ... that date of the receipt is the 10th March 1990 ... look at the date the vid was uploaded!!! Spooky coincidence or what?!

arnoldemu

I talked to 2 guys who were also at Krisalis at this time.
One said "I never knew they put that in".
Both could not remember the number.
And both didn't know what happened when you rang it.

I know you would get through to reception, but any more than that I don't know.

The correct spelling for the company is "Krisalis", they could not use "Chrysalis" because this was too close to a music company.
My games. My Games

arnoldemu

Quote from: Xyphoe on 13:54, 14 March 11
Wow seriously? You got in touch with them already?
Well they're not the directors and programmers of this, but others who worked there at the same time as me.

Yes, they work at the same place I work now.
My games. My Games

MacDeath

I loved the music, was disapointed by the ZX graphics (as in "my life it ZuX")...

Was also a bit sluggish yet quite enjoyable finally...

Xyphoe

Quote from: arnoldemu on 14:52, 14 March 11
Well they're not the directors and programmers of this, but others who worked there at the same time as me.

Yes, they work at the same place I work now.

Heh, nice! Small world huh!

Would they be useful to tap up for info and interviews on the 8-bit / Amstrad scene?