Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Paperboy - Longplay & Review (with music hack + unreleased version!)

Started by NewsBot, 17:00, 02 March 12

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Paperboy - Longplay & Review (with music hack + unreleased version!)
2 March 2012, 3:19 pm

The classic Paperboy on the Amstrad CPC! Review & Longplay ... plus music hack (curteosy of Fano from Easter Egg eg R-Type!) added in from level 3 onwards, and also the un-released version footage at the end of the video (which has been labelled as the Spanish version?) Another stonking arcade conversion to the Amstrad CPC - looks gorgeous, plays fantastically, but shame about the lack of sound and music! (c) Atari 1984 / Elite 1987 cpc-power.com Un-released / Spanish version - cpc-power.com en.wikipedia.org[/t][/t]
Time: 31:16More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by Xyphoe
This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

Shaun M. Neary

I'm probably alone on this, but i actually really enjoyed this at the time i got it.
Back then, the lack of sound didn't bother me. I used to keep the volume turned down and would listen to the radio (don't judge me! chart music wasn't half bad between 87 as long as you avoided Stock, Aitken & Waterman).
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

I'm with you, Shaun. I still love this game, because of the CPC release. I really didn't care about the sound, it was a really lovely game!

Puresox

Same Here ! I was so impressed with the gameplay  I could live without the sound,gathering that there was either no more memory or that it would ruin the gameplay. Real nice game .

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Puresox on 20:54, 31 January 13
Same Here ! I was so impressed with the gameplay  I could live without the sound,gathering that there was either no more memory or that it would ruin the gameplay. Real nice game .

Doubt it was lack of RAM, 128k also suffered no sound as well as the 64k.
As you can see in the video, there was a version of it with sound added, and it didn't affect gameplay in the slightest. :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:02, 06 February 13
Not even a separate tape with the soundtrack... :D

I think there were only two games in history that had that! Outrun and 720 degrees.
I could be wrong though.

Gryzor

Huh, I didn't know about 720. Also Trantor had an audio companion (on the second side?).

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:42, 11 February 13
Huh, I didn't know about 720. Also Trantor had an audio companion (on the second side?).

Totally forgot about Trantor!

Gryzor

sigh

Just my thoughts on the Paperboy game even though I was never really a fan of the original.

To be honest - I'm undecided in which of the two versions are better. The lack of screen space and sound was the main reason I could never get on with the CPC version and also due to the isometric view not being as acute as the arcade original, it made things difficult to see incoming objects. Having never played the unfinished spanish version, it does have a much better isometric angle and screen space which looks more forgiving and true to the arcade. I also like the fact that the unfinished version does have sound, which for me is very important whether it's just the music, sound effects or both. I remember playing a demo Shinobi on my CPC 64k and the lack of any sound killed it for me. When I did finally bought my 64K ram expansion and played the demo again, my jaw dropped in disbelief at what the programmer managed to achieve with the audio.

I just don't know - the released version has lovely graphics and looks to have smoother scrolling, but the Spanish version feels more like a paperboy game and more enjoyable....

Gryzor

Yeah, but Paperboy belongs to the thread with the Relaxing Games, whereas Shinobi is pure adrenaline...

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:00, 14 February 13
Yeah, but Paperboy belongs to the thread with the Relaxing Games, whereas Shinobi is pure adrenaline...

If you played Paperboy in the arcades, it's far from Relaxing. ;)

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:00, 14 February 13

I have to agree with Shaun. Paperboy was never relaxing for me. It was annoyingly frustrating!  :)

arnoldemu

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:00, 20 February 13
I have to agree with Shaun. Paperboy was never relaxing for me. It was annoyingly frustrating!  :)
I agree too, the best bit was always the stunt course at the end.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:00, 20 February 13

It was so fast paced, that even if you picked Easy Street (another feature left out on the CPC, the difficulty select screen), a couple of days into it, it got harder and harder to keep up.

Gryzor

I do believe I've played the arcade version but I don't recall much of it; for me Paperboy is an Amstrad game, and I always found it nice and chill :)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:55, 07 April 13
I do believe I've played the arcade version but I don't recall much of it; for me Paperboy is an Amstrad game, and I always found it nice and chill :)

That's because the CPC version is an arthritic slug on valium by comparison :D

Gryzor