Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles : The Coin-Op - Longplay (+ hidden music a

Started by NewsBot, 08:02, 14 October 11

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles : The Coin-Op - Longplay (+ hidden music added!!) & Review
14 October 2011, 8:58 am

Teenage Mutant Ninja (Hero ... in the UK) Turtles 2 - The Coin-Op on the Amstrad CPC! VERY special longplay today! There's already a longplay of the Amstrad version by Axelino on his channel, and if you've not played this version before you will hear that there's no music in game. Shame really, as this is one of the very best arcade conversions and beat-em-ups on the Amstrad. HOWEVER! YouTube user Swainy told me of a topic on the World Of Spectrum forums where they found data on the game disk that contained lots of music! So I asked on the CPC Wiki forums and a very talented programmer by the name SyX on the forums examined the disk and it's true! There is music data! So he extracted the music data and we were able to play the tunes via emulator! And they're EXCELLENT! I ripped each of the tunes to WAV files and recorded my longplay then later I painstakingly edited in all the music where it should be appropriately heard trying to match the arcade original as much as possible. In fact there's only maybe 2-3 tunes in the arcade version not present here, in total there's 12 tunes though! Why wasn't it used in the game then? See www.worldofspectrum.org So it probably won't be possible for us to hack the Amstrad version to do the same without really bad slow down. The games plays really fast smooth and brilliant, in fact much smoother than the Amiga version! Why spoil the excellent gameplay I guess? Also at the end of the video is some bonus footage of 2 player co-op action ...
Time: 43:10More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by Xyphoe

This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

SyX

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Quote from: SyXThe game improves a lot with the music
Now, you know want you have to do... :D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MacDeath

this clearly reminds me why a 6128 PLUS can be great...

more Ram than a 464... and some DMA to get the music whit not that much CPU wasted...

TFM

Quote from: MacDeath on 03:00, 15 October 11
this clearly reminds me why a 6128 PLUS can be great...

more Ram than a 464... and some DMA to get the music whit not that much CPU wasted...

A good player need less then 10% CPU time, but using sound DMA is a waste of memory.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

redbox

Quote from: TFM/FS on 00:10, 16 October 11
A good player need less then 10% CPU time, but using sound DMA is a waste of memory.

A good DMA player should need even less than this.

I think MacDeath was saying use the DMA purely to play the existing AY tunes, not to add Digidrums etc.

This would make it possible to play the tunes using the existing TMNT game code, but of course it would be Plus only.