Xyphoe's Vids - [AMSTRAD CPC] Titus The Fox - Review & Longplay (aka Les Aventures De Moktar)

Started by NewsBot, 21:00, 21 April 11

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

[AMSTRAD CPC] Titus The Fox - Review & Longplay (aka Les Aventures De Moktar)
21 April 2011, 5:11 am

[AMSTRAD CPC] Titus The Fox - Review & Longplay (aka Les Aventures De Moktar)

Longplay and review for "Titus The Fox - To Marrakesh And Back" on the Amstrad CPC! Firstly, Titus are a French software company and originally this game was released in France as "Les Aventures De Moktar" based on a character in French comedian Vincent Lagaf's music video "La Zoubida" - www.youtube.com It was designed to be a series of games featuring "Moktar" from the aforementioned video to capitalise on it's success but this was the only game released in the series. I don't get what the video or song's about, looks like some odd bloke dressing up as an Arab prancing about to some bad Euro--pop/Dance track. But anyway.... For other markets outside of France the game changed to "Titus The Fox" and the graphics re-skinned to feature Titus's cute and furry mascot! This made much more sense to me, and the game was quite popular in the UK because of the silly high scoring review Amstrad Action gave it - which surely must solely been based on the wonderful graphics featured in the game! Because the rest of the game, well, go watch and find out!.... cpc-power.com Programmed by Charles Goodwin - author of Prehistorik I en.wikipedia.org
Time: 01:10:28More in Gaming

Source: Uploads by Xyphoe

This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

AMSDOS

My understanding regarding Titus The Fox is it's one of those games you need to have the right CPC to be able to enjoy it fully, though having said that I initally brought the game from the UK, it was good, though it was lacking music and was a bit jerky, then by sheer luck AA had it on their Covertape. I had more fun with that version than with the one I brought, so there could well be an inferior version of the game floating around (or it maybe something to do with having the right CPC). If it's a game which needs the right CPC, then playing it on an Emulator will most certainally reveal limitations from the Emulator.
Though having said all that I found it to be a reasonibly completable game and anyone can tell that the artists spent more time working on the Graphics than the rest of the game, cause it really is a extremely straightfoward game.

The game from Titus which really bugs me is The Blues Brothers, AA had that one on their covertape and was enjoying it so much until I got to the same stage someone else had only to discover a bug in the game!  ???  AA gave that one a Mastergame too and indeed it looks and plays really good until you come to that glitch!  :(
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Xyphoe

I don't think there were different versions, I've honestly not heard of that. I mean the game is jerky and slow enough as it is!

I've loaded it up in 64k of memory and its exactly the same and with music.
But I do have the original game disk, so I'll try that in my 6128+ later today and see if it scrolls any better, as I think it's using a CRTC trick to scroll so it could depend on what CRTC you had in the CPC maybe. It's similar to the flick scroll used in Smash TV, and the game would always crash on my CPC 464 as soon as it scrolled to the next playing area (tried multiple copies but seems other 464 owners were fine!)

SyX

Quote from: Xyphoe on 05:14, 22 April 11It's similar to the flick scroll used in Smash TV, and the game would always crash on my CPC 464 as soon as it scrolled to the next playing area (tried multiple copies but seems other 464 owners were fine!)
That it's because your CPC had a CTRC 2, the same crash would happen with the first version of Basket Master, everytime that you score, the screen scroll (the only try of scroll hardware in spanish games  ;D ), in the fixed version Dinamic simply quited the scroll  :D

Xyphoe

Quote from: SyX on 13:55, 22 April 11
That it's because your CPC had a CTRC 2, the same crash would happen with the first version of Basket Master, everytime that you score, the screen scroll (the only try of scroll hardware in spanish games  ;D ), in the fixed version Dinamic simply quited the scroll  :D

Thanks! Interesting ... has that been confirmed that Smash TV won't work on type 2?

I've just loaded Smash TV (original .DSK) in WinApe with Type 2 MC6845 selected for CRTC type but it doesn't crap out on the scroll - not sure if this is an emulator fault/quirk or we may be talking about a different CRTC type in this case.

Xyphoe

And lastly with Type 0 - works fine.

So is this an emulation issue (or actually something that has been 'fixed' heh) or perhaps I just had a faulty CRTC chip that only had this issue when this trick was used in games?

Executioner

Quote from: Xyphoe on 13:52, 25 April 11
So is this an emulation issue (or actually something that has been 'fixed' heh)

Quite possibly, I've never had a real type 2 to test with.

SyX

Quote from: Executioner on 01:40, 26 April 11
Quite possibly, I've never had a real type 2 to test with.
In the last Retro Encounter the kind and generous Mr. CPCMANIACO give me two 6128, one with CRTC 2 and other with 4. I have to make the cables, find one way to send it programs (my last computer with a diskdrive was my Amiga 1200 in the 90s  :D ... or usb <-> serial  :) ) and i will confirm the problems with these games, and of course, Executioner, if you need that i make any test, tell me.