A question about Gotek and CP/M in PCW 8512

Started by djcaye, 17:31, 20 September 22

Previous topic - Next topic

djcaye

Hi again; here it is an explanation of my problem

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Host-Platforms#amstrad-pcw

And looks like I have a little trouble to correct it.

Thanks anyway for your time.

And little edit; does anyone have cp/m 1.1 version? it is my last hope regarding this issue with gotek only happens with later version of cp/m (but I tried with 1.2 and it does not work), so is my only last hope before trying to make the mod .

Regards.

GeoffB17

I've got a copy of 1.1 that John Elliott sent me long ago to get around another problem.   I can get my hands on that, but it's patched slightly.   I OUGHT to have saved the original, I'll see if I can find that.  The patch may not matter to you, it's regarding the A: drive causing an error if the drive is double sided, the error message was disabled.   At this time, my A: drive was broken, and I was booting from my B: drive (5.25" drive, DS) but with SS format disks.

Geoff

GeoffB17

I've found the patched file, which I attach.   This should be OK for you.

The patch was nothing more than changing an error check.   I wanted to use the 5.25 drive to boot from, and the SS disks I made worked fine.  No problem.   But I also had DS disks with files on that I needed, and I wanted to access them once I'd booted.  But the system threw an error as the DS disk in A: was not liked.   The fix stopped that error, so I could use DS disks as well.  1.1 was the only version that allowed this to be done.

Geoff

GeoffB17

If you need the file in a .DSK file, here it is in a complete boot image.

Geoff

djcaye

Hi and thank you so much.

It does not work... we have the Bad Format Issue, so I am going to construct the mini board. I am goin to order the components and I will tell you as soon as I have it.

Regards!!!

GeoffB17

Why did you ask about the 1.1 system?  Had you seen something that suggested that this (very old) version of the system might help.  Was there any information that suggested what the problem might be?

Geoff

djcaye

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 18:31, 24 September 22Why did you ask about the 1.1 system?  Had you seen something that suggested that this (very old) version of the system might help.  Was there any information that suggested what the problem might be?

Geoff
Yes, I read it here https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/wiki/Host-Platforms#amstrad-pcw

Regards!!

GeoffB17

Hm, I don't see any mention of Version 1.1 in that doc.   I'm not sure v 1.1 would help?

Before you try anything too drastic, you might check if this IS the problem, re the 40t/80t conflict and double stepping.  This does fit the indications.

You could convert one of your images as a test, and double up all the tracks using the script they have.   Or maybe I could double one up for you (but I'd use BASIC).   If that helps, then you're sure that IS the problem, and you could see where you go from there.

I'm not sure about swapping to the HFE images, as it's a much more complex image format, and all the images you'll find via the web will be .DSK

Geoff

djcaye

Hi!!

I don´t know how to do that, but if you double one up for me I'll try and see if it is works.

Regards!!!!

GeoffB17

OK.

I note that there is a python script to do this.  I'll do it in something else, but it would be a help to see the script if you can find it for me.   The doc mentioned on your link gives the name for it, but not an actual link.  I assume the sector/track date needs to be doubled, but how about the headers, and does anything need changing?

Update - Got It.  With some help from google, etc, I've found the code and saved it.  I'll make sense of it, there is a hint that something might need changing so as to maintain the integrity of the .dsk file.   Anyway, the info is all there in the code, just that it's all in python and I'm not familiar with that at all.

Geoff

GeoffB17

Does anyone have a .DSK image file that has been 'changed' as the the script to double-up the tracks.  I've got the code from the script to do this, and I can make sense of most of it, I just want to double check re the changes to the Track numbers in the data.  I nite that the overall file needs to show 80 tracks, but are the indiv tracks changed to 0-79, or are they left as 0, 0, 1, 1, - 39, 39.   This change may apply for each sector as well in the track header data.

Geoff

djcaye

Hi again!!! and Awesome News!!!

I got it!! works!! and all the versions of CP/M that I have try!!

What have I done? Not so much, at this point.

> I tried to replace gotek with 3 " disk Unit from another CPC that I have at home (but this unit does not work)
> Put back the gotek and adjust with more pression than usual the ribbons.
> Jumpers set at M0.

What I think?? the ribbons was not so tight enough when I made the first conection.. and once I release and tight again all start to works.. there is no other thing that I have done.. so, again, "Ockham Knife" got a plausible explanation of this!!

Anyway thanks to everyone who help here and a probe that the GOTEK SFRKC30.AT2 works perfect !!

Regards!!

GeoffB17

Good to hear that you've sorted it.   Given that some things WERE working, or seeming to, maybe it was just 1 line in the cable that wasn't making perfect contact?

Best of luck with CP/M.

Geoff