News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Got me a PPC640 (and more).

Started by Gryzor, 12:36, 26 September 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Thanks to @dionisisg I'm now the owner of a PPC640. Thar she blows:

You cannot view this attachment.

What a beast it is!

Still haven't powered it on, I wanted to ask if there's anything I should look out for? The PSU I was given was this one:

So it's a US one, 120V. Interestingly the seller told me it runs fine with 230V, but... I'm kind of doubting that. Anyone has any experience?

Of course I knew of the machine, and I've seen it in person before, but it's the first one I own. The design still surprises me, especially since at the same time I got this Panasonic CF-710 from the same year, with a much more sane form factor:

That one's a beauty...

So I also got a Philips 80 green monitor:

I remember seeing this in ads for the Speccy and the c64, I like it. It has RCA inputs which is nice.

And finally, I got a 21" Phlips 201B10, which appears to be a professional monitor? It's got a VGA connector but also BNC connectors. Must be pretty nice, haven't used it yet. However I don't think I have a use (or rather, the space) for it, so if anyone wants to collect in Athens, be my guest :)

dionisisg

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:36, 26 September 22Thanks to @dionisisg I'm now the owner of a PPC640. Thar she blows:

What a beast it is!

Still haven't powered it on, I wanted to ask if there's anything I should look out for? The PSU I was given was this one:

So it's a US one, 120V. Interestingly the seller told me it runs fine with 230V, but... I'm kind of doubting that. Anyone has any experience?

Of course I knew of the machine, and I've seen it in person before, but it's the first one I own. The design still surprises me, especially since at the same time I got this Panasonic CF-710 from the same year, with a much more sane form factor:

That one's a beauty...

So I also got a Philips 80 green monitor:

I remember seeing this in ads for the Speccy and the c64, I like it. It has RCA inputs which is nice.

And finally, I got a 21" Phlips 201B10, which appears to be a professional monitor? It's got a VGA connector but also BNC connectors. Must be pretty nice, haven't used it yet. However I don't think I have a use (or rather, the space) for it, so if anyone wants to collect in Athens, be my guest :)

Looks beautiful !! I'm kind of a classified Indiana jones!!! I wouldn't trust that power supply myself, try to find a 240v with the same output , a good replacement to test the computer would be an adjustable bench power supply.

Gryzor

Yeah I don't have one of these... so it's either a regular (meaning: les €€€) converter or a new PSU with the correct plug.

dionisisg

You can get an adjustable dc-dc converter for cheap and use any 12v5A power supply

Gryzor

Quote from: dionisisg on 13:56, 26 September 22You can get an adjustable dc-dc converter for cheap and use any 12v5A power supply
If I am to get a new PSU why get a converter too?

dionisisg

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:46, 27 September 22
Quote from: dionisisg on 13:56, 26 September 22You can get an adjustable dc-dc converter for cheap and use any 12v5A power supply
If I am to get a new PSU why get a converter too?
Get a DC-DC converter if you have a spare PSU lying around, if none is on your possession then yes just a new power brick (if you can find an identical voltage one) will do the trick.

genesis8

Congratulations, but now you will need the ISA board, or the internal card when it will be finalized.

Gryzor

Oh yes, can't imagine my life without it  :laugh: