News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Retro Computer Challenge

Started by TynH, 00:04, 07 July 23

Previous topic - Next topic

TynH

I've decided to give it a go and join the Retro Computer Challenge, well it's actually just about using a *slow* computer for a week (because apparently some people don't have access to vintage hardware):
https://dataswamp.org/~solene/2023-06-04-old-computer-challenge-v3.html

Now I could simply use an old Dell running WinXP (or Linux Live distro) but where's the fun in that? 

So instead I'll be using the AMSTRAD PCW 8512 as my main computer for a week! Including browsing the web (lynx), email (alpine) and all the rest. 

Gryzor

What does the wiki look like under Lynx?

GUNHED

It loads quicker  ;D
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

TynH

Pretty much as you'd expect:  :laugh:

Gryzor

Yeah it's not hard to imagine the wiki part, I wonder about the forum... Maybe I should try Lynx or Arachne again, been a while since I toyed aroung with them :)

TynH

Yeah elinks works better for some sites than plain lynx. I do have a feeling I'll be spending considerable time surfing gopher next week...

TynH

Huh first hurdle: how on earth does one enter an "@"?
I've set my machine to use the German keyboard layout.

GeoffB17

Ah, yes, I've still got the old Pentium machine sat on my desk here that I used to use for connecting to the web with Arachne.  All worked well for a LOT of years.

I was still using dial-up, and one-by-one the ISPs that allowed dial-up connections ceased to do so so eventually I had to bite the bullet.  I think it was possible back then to do something using broadband, but too complicated for me?

Arachne was not of course Lynx, but it was functionally similar, and performed OK as it just disregarded all the graphics crap!  The websites that worked were fine, the sites that didn't - that's their problem, there were enough sites that DID work.

Geoff

GeoffB17

TynH - I don't know what sort of keyb you've got, but one way that often worked was to hold down the ALT key, and while keeping it held down type 0, 6 then 4 on the numeric keypad?

Geoff

TynH

I did try ALT + 6 + 4 to no effect but I'll give it another go with 0 as well!

P.S.: better try this before starting Kermit plus VT100 ANSI emulation I guess

GeoffB17

Are you doing this on a PCW?  The process I mentioned is really for std PC.

If it's the PCW, and this related to the country settings, then have you checked what the code of the char produced is?

According to the table in the manual, although the German settings changes the '@', it may REALLY be still Chr$(64), just that this now shows the different char.   So if you use that char, it looks wrong, but the internet will see it still as chr$(64) which it will see as '@'.  That's mt understanding of the table on page 134 of the CP/M manual 'Special Characters'??

Geoff

Gryzor

I think ALT codes always need all three digits?

Boy, been a long time since I used those! 

TynH

I think the problem is with the keyboard definition file I created a long time ago. I'm using a non-german boot file with a german keyboard so decided to load one later via setkey.com. Unfortunately I don't remember much!

edit: found it! Seems I replaced "§" with "@" because the former is only really required in legal texts. I completely forgot about that but makes sense, since there's no @ anywhere on the German keyboard. No pipe or backslash either.