News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad PCW Questions

Started by DoctorCPC, 12:20, 07 November 21

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorCPC

I used Amstrad PCW when I was 3 years old. I haven't been using Amstrad PCW since then.
In my Amstrad PCW 8256 computer, there is a 3'' driver as the first floppy drive and GOTEK as the second floppy drive. I can boot my computer with CPM and Locoscript. How can I format floppy disks on GOTEK on Amstrad PCW so that CPM and Locoscript can see it. How can I save my writings to the floppy disk on GOTEK after turning on the computer with Locoscript?
Can you give me a link for Amstrad PCW Apps, Games and etc.

I weared GOTEK for second driver. firs disc drive is 3'' discs. i love 3'' discs. I use GOTEK for Transfer and new apps. Do the files have to be in the root directory in the gotek? In Amstrad PCW, the folder is separated, can we log into the folders via gotek? how can i run apps from second drive gotek?
My Amstrad Products: Amstrad CPC 464, Amstrad CPC 6128, Schneider CPC 6128, Amstrad NC 100, Amstrad HiFi EX330, Amstrad Fidelity CKX100 Music Keyboard, Amstrad Penpad 600, Amstrad Emailer Plus, Amstrad E3 Emailer, Amstrad VCR Programmable Remote Control, Amstrad DVD/Divx Player, Amstrad GT 65, Schneider CTM640

CPC Hardware: USIFACII, M4Wifi, ZMEM, MotherX4, GOTEK, PS2 Mouse Adapter, RSF3 (Soon), DES Mini (Soon)
PCW Hardware: GOTEK, PCWIO, uIDE (Soon), uRTC (Soon)

Editor-In-Chief / ACUC Magazine - Amstrad CPC User Club Magazine (Soon)
www.dizzyradio.com  / Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Amiga and Other Home Computer's Musics
www.cpcuserclub.com / +90 555 498 36 55 for adding WhatsApp Group

DoctorCPC

what I really want to do is to open my Amstrad PCW computer with 3'' floppy drive with CPM and Locoscript. then formatting the empty floppy disks on the second drive, GOTEK, and saving the texts here. My goal is to publish a book in 2022 written only with Amstrad PCW and Amiga.
How can i save my writes from locoscript to new DSK on Gotek? There is no format command on CP/M. instead there is diskkit command but it only sees drive A. It only works with drive A. By typing B: on CP/M I go to the second drive, but it shows the contents of drive A. what can I do?

My Amstrad Products: Amstrad CPC 464, Amstrad CPC 6128, Schneider CPC 6128, Amstrad NC 100, Amstrad HiFi EX330, Amstrad Fidelity CKX100 Music Keyboard, Amstrad Penpad 600, Amstrad Emailer Plus, Amstrad E3 Emailer, Amstrad VCR Programmable Remote Control, Amstrad DVD/Divx Player, Amstrad GT 65, Schneider CTM640

CPC Hardware: USIFACII, M4Wifi, ZMEM, MotherX4, GOTEK, PS2 Mouse Adapter, RSF3 (Soon), DES Mini (Soon)

www.dizzyradio.com  / Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Amiga and Other Home Computer's Musics

DoctorCPC

I think I plugged in the floppy drive cable wrong. It does not see the floppy disk on CP/M or LocoScript.

DoctorCPC

I'm pretty sure either gotek is broken or a flashfloppy version is installed with a bug.

Richard_Lloyd

Hi. The fact that DISCKIT show the A: drive when you type B: means it does not think you have a B: drive.
The B: drive is a different format to the A: drive. On the GOTEK you need a DSK file (in the root) that is formatted in the correct way - ie double sided and double density.
I have a spare GOTEK so I will connect it as B: when I have time next weekend.
If I get it working, I will post the details here in a few days time.
Richard.
Richard
CPC464, CPC6128, PCW8512, PCW10, BSA & NSP

GeoffB17

I have a BOX 5.25" drive attached to my PCW.   When I turn my PCW ON, I need to have a disk loaded into B:.   If I do not, then the PCW does not detect that B: is present.   If a disk IS there, then all is OK.

Alternatively, I can attach a 3.5" drive.   This uses a special cable, and is always present.   If I have this drive connected when I boot, then there is no problem if I boot with no disk in the drive.

When you start the machine, can you have a image file 'active' already.   Maybe not?   Maybe you need a similar tweak to the cable to make the drive always active.   This of course may cause a problem for DISCKIT, or anything else that demands that disks be removed, as this may not work.  The 3.5" cable includes a switch to force this.

Geoff

Richard_Lloyd

Hi. Managed to find some time today. Here is the step by step list I followed to install a GOTEK as drive B:.

Flashed my spare GOTEK with the latest stable FlashFloppy = v3.29
Set the jumper to S1 - no other jumpers present
Connected the Gotek to the PCW ribbon cable and 5V power - no USB stick yet
Booted the PCW from A:
CP/M reported "2 disc drives"
        If CP/M reports only 1 drive here then you need to back up and find the problem before going any further
Formatted a USB stick FAT32 in Windows
Copied (in Windows) the attached CF2DD.DSK file onto it - no other files present
Put the USB stick in GOTEK B:
Typed B: at the CP/M A> prompt - now have B> prompt
Typed DIR at the B> prompt - showed "No File"
I can now PIP files onto B: and use DISCKIT to format it

Now use Windows to make as many copies of the CF2DD.DSK on the USB stick as you need. Each should be given a different name according to what you are going to store in each one. It can be data or programs - it's up to you. Use the buttons or the rotary selector on the GOTEK to move between them

Hope that helps.

Good luck. Richard
Richard

DoctorCPC

Flashed my spare GOTEK with the latest stable FlashFloppy = v3.29
Set the jumper to S1 - no other jumpers present
Connected the Gotek to the PCW ribbon cable and 5V power - no USB stick yet
Booted the PCW from A:
CP/M reported "2 disc drives"
      If CP/M reports only 1 drive here then you need to back up and find the problem before going any further
i'm stuck here unfortunately... i'm going to get support from a retro computer repair shop.

Richard_Lloyd

Richard

DoctorCPC

I still haven't been able to go to the retro computer repair shop. Why does my computer not see GOTEK as the second disk drive? I bought a cable adapter, a 5 volt adapter. I installed it by installing flashfloppy. what could be the problem?

GeoffB17

When your PCW starts up, and you get the initial screen reporting CP/M, and saying 1 disk present, which version of the system is it reporting.   1.4 is a common one, but you may have something else?

Geoff

DoctorCPC

It just says there is one floppy drive. whereas gotek 2 is connected as a floppy drive. There is no one in Turkey who understands Amstrad PCW. Unfortunately I am alone on this. I'm pretty sure I got it hooked up correctly. I'm using the gotek floppy cable adapter and power adapter I bought from the UK. where am i doing wrong? I am sharing my screenshot. CPM 1.4 version screenshot is attached. @Richard_Lloyd  @GeoffB17

GeoffB17

Thanks for the update.

System 1.4 is a very common version, and it's fairly standard.   Not trying to do anything strange.

I've used this vesion for many years, with the normal 3" disk as A: and my 5.25" BOX drive as B:, and never gave any problem, apart from what I mentioned before - if there is no disk in the B: drive at startup then the drive is not detected.   So it's not so much detecting the presence of the 'drive', rather the presence of the disk.

When you start up the Gotek, is there a disk loaded/selected?   While the system is loading, i.e. the power is on, can you select a disk on the Gotek?

If you start up the PCW and get the '1 drive' message can you then select a disk on the Gotek, what happens then if you immed reboot the computer using the Shift, Extra & Exit keys.   Does that make any difference?

Geoff

DoctorCPC

I can choose over gotek. On gotk installed flashfloppy. I choose CF2DD and Symbos disks on GOTEK. It only sees 1 floppy drive whether there is a floppy or not. by the way, after I installed Gotek and changed the floppy disk of disk A, it does not read my 2 boot disks. I have only 1 copy left out of 3 copies. I don't know what I would do if he didn't read that copy either. I tried everything GOTEK and Flashfloppy installed correctly I think. I chose S1 but I'm not sure if I plugged it back into S0 afterwards. I can look again. But when the result is negative, I feel very sad. I'm falling into despair. Amstrad PCW 8256 is the first computer I used at age 3. then I got my own Amstrad CPC 464 when I was 4 years old. I wouldn't be a computer engineer today without the Amstrad PCW 8256. as valuable to me as Amstrad CPC 464 and Amstrad CPC 6128. After Amstrad CPC 464, Amstrad CPC 6128 is my second computer. but the first computer I used in my life was Amstrad PCW 8256. @GeoffB17  @Richard_Lloyd  @Prodatron

GeoffB17

Yes, I can understand how you feel.   My PCW was my second computer bought in 1985 when they first came out.   I would be very upset if I lost it - I could buy another one, but it would not be quite the same.

If the presence of the B: drive is damaging the A: disks, then the connections for the two drives are crossed over in some way, and the system is writing to A: when it thinks it is writing to B:.   Make TOTALLY sure that the B: drive is set as drive 1 (S1) and NOT as device 0 (S0).

Have you had the Gotek installed as A: (as single drive, no B:) at least as temporary to confirm that the Gotek IS working correctly.   You'd need an A: type (CF2) image to boot from of course.

Don't worry too much about the damaged disks.   They can be replaced.   If the disk seems damaged just now, a lot of what is on the disk might be recovered.  I have sent disks through the post, not sure about to Turkey mind you.

Most people add a Gotek as A:, esp if they want to boot games.   The cable you got may be set on this assumption.

I confess I have never used a Gotek, I have no need to.   I don't bother much with games.   Having the 5.25" drive (and an alt 3.5" drive as well) means I have few problems with disks, and I now have a uIDE unit attached with about 100 Mb of disk space, also I have old PCs with floppy drives and use 22DISK to transfer files back and forth easily.   The only thing I lack is a CF2DD drive for B:.   Sometimes, that would be useful.

Geoff

Richard_Lloyd

Hello, sorry you are struggling. Try to check the Gotek as suggested by @GeoffB17

Disconnect the 3" drive
Connect just the Gotek set to S0
Put the attached DSK file on the USB stick
Try to boot
If it boots, the Gotek is good

Hope that helps
Richard

DoctorCPC

That's how I'll try it tonight. this CPM image turned out great. Could you also share the Locoscript file as the boot disk? i will just connect gotek and set it as 1st floppy drive. Worst case I'll set the 3" floppy drive as the second drive. This is the most sensible way to test. Can you also share the Locoscript startup floppy?

GeoffB17

Hopefully I'll attach a std Loco boot image:

NB - using the 3" drive as B: may cause new problems.   Leave that for now.   This IS possible, but you need a later version of the System that will support FID drivers, and you need a B180 driver to load to allow a CF2 B: drive

Geoff

GeoffB17

So, I'm confused.

You say you'll try ?? tonight - is that with the Gotek as A:, alone?

Then you say the CPM boot image works fine?   Do you mean on the Gotek, or some other way?

The more detail you can say as to what happens, or does NOT happen that SHOULD, then the more we can help.

Geoff

DoctorCPC

I will not sleep tonight. I will continue the day without sleep. I haven't started trying yet. I will start later in tonight. I will set gotek to s0. but if it works i'll know there is no problem with gotek. but this time you say that it will be a problem if I use the 3'' floppy drive as the second drive. I don't know what a solution will be to live the 3'' floppy disk spirit and use GOTEK at the same time in PCW. I'll see if GOTEK works first.

GeoffB17

Don't worry about problems that haven't happened yet.

Using the Gotek as A: is intended to be a temporary thing to confirm if it's working.   Stick to one problem at a time.  Get the Gotek working.   It might be the Gotek, it might be the cable.  Something is messing with the drive ID.  Could be re the jumpers, could be the cable.

I understand that it IS possible to use the Gotek as A: with the 3" drive as B:, but you need to 'fix' the system to allow this.   There is a FID (or maybe it's a FIB) file to do this.   This file loads automatically at boot and does a 'fix', but you need a version of the system that knows how to do this.  This is easy to sort out.   But if you do NOT need to boot games from the Gotek (as A:) then once the Gotek is working you can put it back as B: with the 3" drive as A:, and there's no problem.   If you've got plenty of disks, then you can still use games that need to be booted (as they do NOT work under CP/M and need to take over the complete system).   Many games CAN be started from CP/M, and therefore from the B: drive, although if they take over the complete system you will need to reboot the computer afterwards.

More news in the morning - if you're awake?

Geoff

DoctorCPC

yes i am still standing first of all now my Amstrad CPC computer is running Symbos with a PS2 Mouse with M4Wifi, MotherX4 and ZMEM attached. I'm going to deal with a few server issues now. Next will be Amstrad PCW's turn.

DoctorCPC

at the end of sleepless night this GOTEK is not working on Amstrad PCW. flashfloppy v3.28 is installed on it. But I have no clue why it's not working. In the worst case, I can plug it into an Amiga and try if it works on the Amiga. An Amigaist friend of mine uploaded this and installed a rotary and led screen. now i need to find out why this gotek is not working.

DoctorCPC

Now I can read and write Amstrad PCW images to floppy disks on Symbos. Prodatron has done a great job. I will try to wear GOTEK until the end. but if I can copy Amstrad PCW images to PC with Symbos, why do I use GOTEK? Would two 3'' floppy drives be better? The Prodatron application takes images of Amstrad PCW floppy disks. I think we can also burn these images with DiskDeDumper. then is GOTEK really needed in Amstrad PCW? I am a 3'' floppy disk enthusiast. Meanwhile, their images can be backed up to PC via Amstrad CPC. I am the author of 7 books. one of my dreams is to write a whole book with Amstrad PCW and Amstrad CPC. 2022 is perhaps a book written in 2023 with Amstrad PCW and Amstrad CPC!

The spirit of Amstrad is on 3" floppy disks. only Amstrad PCW 8256 does not have a metal case for the 2nd drive. Can we 3D print this box? and a 3" floppy drive from Amstrad CPCs as a 2nd drive will work for me? GOTEK as the second driver (I'll figure this out) or the 3'' driver as the second driver. so what does it gain or lose if both drivers A and B are 3'' drivers? by the way, as the author of 7 books, I will write my 8th book using Amstrad PCW and Amstrad CPC. I can transfer files to PC as DSK image. but how can I transfer my Locoscript written texts in this DSK image to Microsoft Word environment? if i'm going to use pictures or layouts in my book, i want to do it with my Amiga 500 computer with piStorm installed, not with a PC. I wish Smybos notepad was more advanced. @Prodatron  how do you think write a Word program to make a full Amstrad CPC and Amstrad PCW Workstation? I know C programming language :)

By the way, until I solve the gotek problem, I will insert the 3'' floppy drive as the second disk drive. How will the cable connection be? both a 3'' floppy drive in A and a 3'' floppy drive in B. by the way, can we plug M4Wifi or XMASS to Amstrad PCW expansion port? What hardware can I still find in the Amstrad PCW expansion port? I only know the PCWIO card at the moment. Thanks to @Prodatron , I was able to get Amstrad PCW floppy images, so Amstrad CPC is on its way to becoming a full Workstation.

GeoffB17

Thank you for the updates.

A normal Gotek SHOULD work.  There are others here who have them working.   If yours is not working, then there must be a reason, that can be fixed?

My first suspect would be the cable.   Either something not connected correctly, or something broken (that WAS OK ?).

Where did you get the cable from?   Could you post photos of the cable at both ends, how is it seated into the connectors.   Check no bent pins.   Even worse, a broken pin?

There have been other threads here where users have struggled to get Gotek working, and then got it working, and have recorded jumper settings - there were two quoted I think.

If you do not NEED the Gotek, then it's a good idea to stay with two 3" drives.   The A: drive should be CF2, the B: drive should be CF2DD, else the PCW will complain - but with the B180 driver you CAN have 2 @ CF2.   Or could use a 3.5" drive as B: which will give you extra options re transfer files/data between PCW and PC.   3.5" drive on my PCW works fine (when it's connected).  Only problem there is finding DSDD disks (using HD disks is too risky).

Geoff