News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad PCW RTC

Started by torrind, 00:19, 25 December 18

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB

Hi TynH

uRTC.COM shouldn't hang. It has a retry counter that will give an error message if it is unable to get a response from the clock chip. Could you check you are using the later version 0.2 , please?

torrind

Actually that's a really good point.

When I started to use 0.2 version, I had no hangs, just the "uRTC could not be found error"

TynH

I originally tried v 0.2 but thought maybe 0.1 was the correct one so gave that a try today. I'll retry later but just to be safe download v 0.2 again so I don't mix the two up.

TynH

Quote from: JonB on 11:08, 24 October 19
Hi TynH

uRTC.COM shouldn't hang. It has a retry counter that will give an error message if it is unable to get a response from the clock chip. Could you check you are using the later version 0.2 , please?

I just tried running uRTC with the RTC board physically disconnected/unplugged which also froze my PCW.
This would be v. 0.2.

TynH

TynH

Since uRTC failed even without the board connected I thought it might be worth investigating the file. Apparently downloading it via Safari on iOS and copying it to my desktop via cloud broke something.
Happy to report I've been able to solve the problem and now working fine!

GUNHED

Ha! As we can see the PcW is perfect, the PC screwed it up!  :laugh: :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

torrind

Boom!!

Excellent work sir!

JonB

That's good news!

Your H: drive is looking a bit rum. Might be a good idea to do "ERA ." That is, nothing dot nothing. It should delete all those dodgy directory entries. But back the files up first...

TynH

Quote from: JonB on 20:11, 24 October 19
That's good news!

Your H: drive is looking a bit rum. Might be a good idea to do "ERA ." That is, nothing dot nothing. It should delete all those dodgy directory entries. But back the files up first...

I was going to ask about that anyway. Unfortunately typing "era . " results in .?
"era : " gives ERASE    COM required
"era *.*" works but obviously not a great option if you want to keep some of the actual files

TynH

okay, solved by copying everything to an empty drive, deleting source drive and copying my files back. Time consuming but not too difficult (yes I did use wildcards).

JonB

So, yes, it's a bug with the uIDE formatting program, which I think is now fixed. GeoffB17 wrote a post about how to correct the format without file loss (your method is one of them). I have a feeling that the format bug was present on the PCW uIDE master image, so if you're using this without reformatting you would see it. I also think I fixed that as well, but it was a while ago..

Could you check your other drives for the bug, and if so clean them up please?

GeoffB17

Right..

If you're interested, this is the previous thread with the instructions:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/nc100-nc200-pcw-pda600/announce-pcw-xdriver-suite-v1-11-for-uide-users/

There's some other info about the problem in ther immed previous thread.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Geoff

GeoffB17

Just for information, I can now report that I've got my RTC module sorted.   I received it from JonB a little while ago, but I've now got some 40 pin connectors, and got one attached to my uIDE cable (the first attempt I managed to break the connector, second try seems fine) and got the RTC attached now.   Altered my usial PROFILE.SUB and checked that things were working fine.   The clock was already set, but about a half hour out!   Put the clock right, also tried a reboot to ensure things start up OK.

All seems fine.

Big thanks, JonB!!

Geoff

JonB

Um, 1/2 hour out. That.l be the dodgy testing I did!

By the way, I put your initdir.com on my download link. Can't imagine why it broke, I use Kermit for file transfer and it's normally reliable.

Cheers
JonB