Amstrad PCW8256 Word Processor Disk Write Protected

Started by PCW8256, 21:29, 15 February 21

Previous topic - Next topic

PCW8256

Hi All,I have an Amstrad PCW8256 and when attempting to create a new document on the A: Drive it simply says "This disk is write-protected" I've checked the drive whether the pin is missing and it is there so I'm very confused!Any help is appreciated!

robcfg

Welcome!

I guess you have the white tabs on the disk on the write position, which is up, if I remember correctly.

If that's the case, can you tell us the model of your disk drive to try and check the schematics?

A picture of the pcb of your disk drive would be helpful too.

PCW8256

I believe the disk drive model is either EME-232 or a EME-156 judging by the number of screws on it (three instead of four found on the later models).I will get pictures of the disk as soon as I can!The word processor disk did not have a white tab on it at all... when I inserted it again... this is what happened: https://imgur.com/a/9FzRV2IThe strange thing it only occurs one side?
The other side of the disk (CP/M) works fine however???:
https://imgur.com/a/BRmHe6h
3 inch disks also don't work? I'm slightly baffled  ;D

tjohnson

Maybe one side is not bootable hence it won't boot the computer

ComSoft6128

GeoffB17

There are two different styles of write protect tap on the 3" disks.  The Maxell disks use a red plastic lever inside the disk, and you move the lever side-to-side to open a hole.   When the hole is open, the disk is write protected.   When the hole is closed so you can see red plastic blocking it, then the disk is free.   The other type of disk is the Panasonic (and others, incl Amsoft) one, and this has a larger white tab that needs to be pushed up/down (or maybe in/out).  When the tab is out of the way then the disk is write protected (the pin is free to go into the space, or the LED shines through), when the tab is fully in place then the pin is blocked and the disk is free.

The mechanism in the drive (pin or LED) should work the same for either type of disk.

If it's the pin, and the pin is missing, or not in the correct place, then ALL disks will be write protected.  Regardless of the position of the tab.

Some disks may have been supplied with the write protect tab removed totally.  I.e. they came with commercial software on.   You might re-use the disk by fitting a piece of card TIGHTLY into the space, to replace the missing tab and block the hole.

If the disk you're using is an original boot disk, then it's NOT a good idea to be writing to it.   You should make a copy of the disk, and use the copy for writing to.  The original boot disk would probably have the wp tabs removed for both sides.

For the SS drive, it's perfectly normal to have one side write ptotected, and the other not.

Geoff