News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Another Gotek thread

Started by ngtwolf, 21:26, 26 May 19

Previous topic - Next topic

ngtwolf

Hi all,

I've gone through what i think are all the gotek threads on here, as well as anything i can find on the internet and I've gotten myself about 95% of the way there, but I'm having issues with the software piece apparently.  Just a quick note that I've set up goteks for my ST and TRS-80 so I'm not a total beginner so that might help with the responses :)

As far as hardware, I've imaged the Gotek with flashfloppy 1.2 and hooked up an oled display.  I've also rewired the end connector for 34 pins and swapped the 5v on the power connector.  For now, I'm just trying this with just the gotek but would like to eventually move the physical floppy to drive B.  I have a jumper on S0 only. For the Amstrad, this is for a 8256 (just upgraded it to 512k). 

For the software, all of the downloads here were expired, so I've had to guess.  I downloaded the various disks including the games one here and converted them all to HFE files.  Initially I tried in indexed mode and renamed a few files and that worked, but obviously not optimal.  I next tried Habi autoboot along with the hxc autoboot cfg file.  It booted up fine, let me select disks, but when i rebooted i couldn't switch to any of those disks, i could only get into the autoboot.  I tried normal mode, but didn't have any luck getting anything to work there.  Initially i had everything in folders and the gotek guessed a few file names and let me boot them, but again, it only saw a few files and it doesn't seem to traverse directories.  I moved everything to the root to no avail.   I only have the two buttons, i didn't install any radial dial or anything so maybe that's the problem with normal mode, not sure.  This is the first time I've used the OLED screen and normal mode so maybe I'm doing something wrong there.

So, i think that's it.  Anyone have steps or know what I'm missing for the software piece, or maybe just has as image of a usb stick, either would be great.

Thanks!
-- Brian

Systems:  Amstrad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

ngtwolf

Okay, nothing like breaking down and posting a question to finally get around the problem.  I was using the default autoboot stuff but I switched to using the autoboot files in the CPC directory and then replacing just the autoboot from Habi and that seems to work.  Clearly must have been some type of configuration issue, so I'm good now on that.

For adding the stock drive into the second slot, I didn't see any jumpers on the original drive.  How does it know that it's drive B? 
-- Brian

Systems:  Amstrad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

pelrun

Quote from: ngtwolf on 22:53, 26 May 19
How does it know that it's drive B?

Jumpers aren't needed because it's essentially hard-coded cable select, with only one drive select signal available on each connector.

The external connector has an inverted /DRV1 signal to the internal one, so when the internal drive is selected the external is disabled and vice versa.

ngtwolf

Quote from: pelrun on 04:35, 27 May 19

Jumpers aren't needed because it's essentially hard-coded cable select, with only one drive select signal available on each connector.

The external connector has an inverted /DRV1 signal to the internal one, so when the internal drive is selected the external is disabled and vice versa.

Okay, since I'm not using any external and just want to hook it up to that dual cable inside, i'm guessing I have to mod that cable and switch a couple wires around (like they do on a pc)?  Any idea of a link to that mod?  I'm assuming its a swap of pin 10/12 or thereabouts?
-- Brian

pelrun

Oof, sorry, I was thinking about the CPC, didn't realise you were talking about a PCW  :picard2:

That said, I don't think it's any different; there's just two internal connectors instead of one internal and one external. NOOOOPE

pelrun

Ok, looking at the service manual, there actually *is* a drive select jumper SW1/JP119, it's a wire link instead of a header with a removable jumper. Changing that seems a lot easier than monkeying with the cable.

Found a decent photo here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/hardware-related/fixing-floppy-drives/msg144099/#msg144099

ngtwolf

Quote from: pelrun on 06:44, 27 May 19
Ok, looking at the service manual, there actually *is* a drive select jumper SW1/JP119, it's a wire link instead of a header with a removable jumper. Changing that seems a lot easier than monkeying with the cable.

Found a decent photo here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/hardware-related/fixing-floppy-drives/msg144099/#msg144099

Great, thanks so much.  I just unsoldered the wire from 1 and moved it to 2, and it's all working now..  :)
-- Brian

Guibrush

hi, sorry to dig out this topic, but I'm trying to do the exact same thing, installing a gotek in a PCW and hold the real floppy drive too. I managed to install the strap on the floppy drive as described here (thanks a lot for this info) to make it become Drive B, but I'm facing another problem: my gotek is emulating 2 drives, therefore the real drive can't be accessed. I searched on the web but I didn't found how to disable de second drive in the gotek. Can you tell me how you did that?

Thanks

pelrun

That usually happens if the Gotek is listening to the computer's motor enable pin, which is high when any drive is accessed. Is there a jumper on the Gotek's MO header? You want just one jumper on either S0 or S1, and nothing on MO, although MO works if it's the only drive present.
These headers just select which signal is connected to the gotek's single enable pin, so only one of the three positions must be jumpered and the others empty, or you'll short the signals together.

Guibrush

Thanks for the reply!

I give a try, I think that it could be the problem.