Yippee I got myself a Nc200 today

Started by CraigsBar, 17:53, 22 June 19

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigsBar

This is the "user friendly" amstrad machine I really wanted. I had a pda600 back in the day, and I don't want another. As much as I loved the touch screen and handwriting no recognition I don't want another, I gave it away for free for a reason... sticky bastard!

So I have a Nc200, now what to do with it, well it will be used to keep a track of all the scores attained at my retro game weekenders, next one next weekend by the way - ask for details, but first to answer one simple question...... How juvenile am I?

https://youtu.be/bh3D8aTDxcE

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

ComSoft6128

These might be of interest:

https://www.ncus.org.uk/intro.htm

http://cowlark.com/2017-12-04-nc200-reverse-engineering/index.html

Your post made me remember a article from a journalist (years ago) at the Independent who raved about the Nc100 or Nc200 but I cant find it - so these two might have something of value.

Cheers,

Peter

PS
You look about ten?

robcfg

Oooooh! The link about loading programs from disk is pure gold!

Thanks, Peter!

CraigsBar

Quote from: robcfg on 20:30, 22 June 19
Oooooh! The link about loading programs from disk is pure gold!

Thanks, Peter!
Yeah the loading from disc was a reason why I really wanted the Nc200. So far I have created the disc test suite loader floppy. And it works beautifully. He has also done a full cpm disc, but is not distributing it due to licence issues. Poooh!

JonB

..but he is working on locating unencumbered CP/M components so he can distribute. Don't give up hope just yet.

CraigsBar

Quote from: JonB on 08:30, 24 June 19
..but he is working on locating unencumbered CP/M components so he can distribute. Don't give up hope just yet.
Hopefully with details on what can be changed to make it full cpm once more lol.

JonB

Oh, I imagine that you'd just copy PIP and STAT and the rest onto the disk and get on with it.

But why bother if the open source variants are functionally identical? You'd not notice any difference in normal use.

Sent from my mind using my fingers.. LOL

iddod

apologies for dragging up this post, i didn't see it at the time and only stumbled across it now via the whole google rabbit hole thing...  :)

anyway, i just wanted to post the pic (if the attachment thing works) of the NC200 i picked up from a car boot sale in june 2017... for six whole quids!  :o
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

CraigsBar

They are lovely machines. I am now however looking for a Canon BJ10ex to pair mine with.

iddod

ooh, they do seem made for each other, nice choice...

in other news...
i've just been digging through my facebook feed (i have a habit of cataloguing my pickups on there, which is handy cos they're datestamped) and i found a post from april 2015 when i bought my NC100, which oddly was also £6... with a master system game thrown in cos i did the haggles...
i remarked on my fb post back then about the NC100 having the NC150 basic built in, was this normal?

bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

robcfg

It's easy to replace the rom, but I'm wondering if the NC100 has also upgraded to 128KB of ram.

Would you be so kind of taking a picture of the NC100's pcb?

pelrun

The SRAM card is accessed entirely through bank switching. So just plugging one in will give you up to 1Mb, no upgrade needed!

Edit: ah, I see my misunderstanding now. Weird, all this time I thought the nc150 was only a rom change.

robcfg

Also, which language is your NC displaying?

It should be french or italian. If it's in english, then it's either a rom we didn't know it existed or a modified one.

Please make pictures of both sides of your NC's pcb!

Edit:ok, it could be that yours have the upgraded 1.06 rom, as the Dreamwriter 225.

iddod

sorry for the delay...
i had to pull the nc100 out of a box in my cave of delights... then i had to find a cr2032 cos i forgot it refuses to boot without one... :)

my nc100 is the english language version (not the later nc150), and the rom is indeed 1.06, as you suspected...
i took a pic of the "secret menu" page, but i'm reluctant to strip it down to the pcb in case i fubar it...
bobbi iddod
poppi iqqoq

robcfg

Thanks!

You don't need to take any pictures, it's a regular unit with the latest bios version.