News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Broken NC200?

Started by Ygdrazil, 18:20, 03 December 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Ygdrazil

Hi Guys

Hope somone can help me! :(

I tried to connect my NC200 (my joy and pride) to a Raspberry PI via the serial port (I got a kit for the RPI that has a serial port)

No success... but now some of the text on the NC200 does not seem to be displayed on the screen correctly? :picard2:

Tried to remove batteries (the C cells and the CR2032) no luck!

What have I done wrong???

Suggestions?

/Ygdrazil

Bryce

Maybe nothing. It could be just that using the NC200 has dislodged the connection to the screen. Is it stripes through the text that you see or what exactly are you getting on the screen?

Bryce.

Ygdrazil

Phewww...  :P

It's working now..

The NC200 is back to normal and the serial transfer works!

Somehow the NC200 holds the power for while after removing batteries!

Regards,
/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Bryce on 19:19, 03 December 16
Maybe nothing. It could be just that using the NC200 has dislodged the connection to the screen. Is it stripes through the text that you see or what exactly are you getting on the screen?

Bryce.

Bryce

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 06:51, 04 December 16
Somehow the NC200 holds the power for while after removing batteries!

That's called capacitance :D

Bryce.

Ygdrazil

I was almost going mad. Considering to get another NC200!

Then i noticed that the time was not reset after i removed all the batteries.. so maybe the ram was not reset either!

It must have been a bug in the serial terminal.. but I can not reproduce the error!

Heh ... nice to know next time I need to fix something with a capacitance!

Regards,
/Ygdrazil

Quote from: Bryce on 12:02, 04 December 16
That's called capacitance :D

Bryce.

Bryce

Any piece of electronics that's half way decently designed will be full of electrolytic capacitors to filter and stabilise the voltage. These capacitors can be considered as mini batteries. The bigger they are, the more energy they can store. If the device in question only needs very little current, then the capacitors can keep the device "alive" for up to a few minutes.

Bryce.