News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Can HxC be fitted to PcW?

Started by BluesBrothers, 13:21, 26 December 16

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesBrothers

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a "Joyce" pcw that has been waiting for me to add another drive for quite some time now, and as it's Christmas, I started thinking what projects I could do.
So I'm wondering will HxC work with Joycey and what would I need? I have never so much as clapped eyes on one before so know literally bugger all about it

1024MAK

I don't see any reason why a HxC would not work. But not having a PCW, I can't help with specifics.
Normally floppy drive systems support 2 drives (IBM type floppy bus, the type that has the twist in the cable) or upto 4 (if the hardware of the computer supports it) for the earlier Shugart bus. The CPC uses the Shugart bus.

HxC will work with either bus  :D

With both, you normally use a ribbon cable with one or more drive connectors. With the Shugart bus, selection links / jumper shunts select the address / drive number that the unit responds to. The IBM system instead twists the cable, which does the same thing. The HxC has links that can select the drive number.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

GeoffB17

Some time ago, I found a forum connected with the HxC system, and somewhere in there was one or more thread regarding this.   I think someone DID get this working, but I'm not sure.   It was not very clear just what they'd done, and I never got around to following it up.

You might try looking for that

Geoff

Habi

Quote from: BluesBrothers on 13:21, 26 December 16
So I'm wondering will HxC work with Joycey and what would I need?

Yes, it will work; in fact, that's how I conduct my experiments. :)

You can just use the same guide as for a Sinclair Spectrum +3 or an Amstrad CPC, same data and power connectors.

In this video you can appreciate one of my setups; the HxC is near the small monitor (without case, of course :p) with a pendrive plugged:

JonB

(Deleted post)

1024MAK

Should Jon's post above be in the "PCW256 expansion port pinout" thread?

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

JonB

Yes, sorry, asleep at the keyboard again..

Gryzor

Ah ok thanks for taking care of it :)