News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Connect a 3.5" floppy to a PCW

Started by JonB, 14:35, 14 January 17

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB

Hi

I am still having problems with the 9512. As you may know, I managed to wreck the head alignment on its floppy drive by cleaning it. It started working, but only for the tracks nearest the spindle, but it was enough to transfer small files from a PC using 2IN1.COM (a slow utility written by Moonstone Computing).

Now I have a new floppy drive. it's a Sony MPF920 and - predictably - it will not fit on the SCA adapter board. I have a good idea how to modify it to produce a ready signal, see http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/how-to-modify-a-sony-mpf-920-to-provide-a-ready-signal/

..but not how to connect the ribbon cable. The SCA interface appears to just plug the smaller cable into one end of the 3.5" drive's larger socket, with the red line connected to pin 34. Yet when I do this on the Sony drive, I get a solid green light (which normally indicates the cable is upside down) and its the same with any other orientation.

What I need is a guide that tells me how to adapt the PCW cable to the 34 way Shugart socket. There must be one somewhere...

GeoffB17

Jon,

I guess you want:

http://pcwpage.co.uk/making-a-data-cable-for-a-3-to-a-standard-3-5-drive/

That's the info I used to connect my 3.5" drive as B:  If you don't need to mess re ready signal, I assume some bits can be disregarded?   i.e. the extra trailing wire, and the break to line 34.

Regarding the 2in1 system, never played with it, so just looked it up, and got a copy to try.

Why it's so slow?   Don't know yet, but the fact that the .COM needs 7 separate overlay files is rather suspect.   If it needs to load even a few of those before it's functional, then it'll certainly be slow.

For your info, I believe that JE's DU54 prog will create a similar dual-use floppy (i.e. that will appear 'normal' on both the PCW and the PC, but it may not be JUST that causing you a problem?

Geoff

JonB

Thanks Geoff!

Since starting the thread, I was looking at the Locomotive supplied drive (which I'd previously not been able to identify) and discovered a label. Guess what? It's a TEAC FD-235HF, and I found one on eBay for £7.16 all in. So what I will do is fit that one to the 9256; it should be a straight replacement (with the PCBs swapped over) and will fit on the existing adapter. I'll keep the Sony as it will undoubtedly come in handy at some point.

Phew, what a palaver. My desk is in a right mess, screws and mounting plates everywhere. Better tidy it up!

GeoffB17

Jon,

See the site:

http://www.fvempel.nl/tested.html

Seems that some s/n of the FD-235HF are better than others?   Some just need jumpers setting, others may need more work?

But at that price, surely you can gain something?

Geoff

JonB

Like I said, I will just change the PCB over, so any mods made to this one should work with the new one. If that doesn't work, then I will have to mod the new PCB..

Joyce Computer Club! Darn, I had that link. Guess I got a bit frustrated. :(

Audronic

@JonB
These are the mods i have used for Sony MPF920 for the Amstrad 6128.

The BH9558KV refers to the Chipset that is on the Motherboard, There are 2 different chipsets used.

Good Luck    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

JonB

Those are good images - I'll probably use them when I come to fix my 6128 3.5" disk mod (which never worked properly)... thanks!