Connect a monitor to PPC640 CGA socket

Started by JonB, 21:43, 21 July 15

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB

Hi

Is there a way to connect a modern display device (VGA / SCART TV / Something else) to the PPC640's 9 pin (IBM compatible) CGA socket?

The PPC also has a weird plug that appears to be a DC in but it's got 14 pins. It is labelled "MON DC IN". In the book it is shown connected to the monitor along with the 9 pin CGA socket.

All this is a bit odd. Is it an "Amstrad only" monitor connection? The manual says it will accept standard monitors or the Amstrad ones, but I don't think a power output is a feature of a standard monitor, especially not with that strange plug.

Hmm...

Bryce

If it's got the CGA signals available, then it doesn't really matter. Make yourself one of these. They work relatively well, I use one for when I have EuroPCs to fix.

http://static.elitesecurity.org/uploads/1/9/1908877/CGA%20TO%20SCART.jpg

You can get the entire circuit inside a standard SCART plug if you try hard enough :D

Bryce.

Edit: Just checked out the PPC pinouts (Here: Amstrad PPC Technical Reference Manual ). The 9pin sub-d is standard CGA except pin 7 where Amstrad have put the composite signal for mono monitors. You can take the 5V from the round "Display Power" port, but you may have a problem sourcing one of those connectors.

MaV

The Amstrad PCs have a rounded 14 pin connector which delivers power from the monitor to the main unit, the video signal is delivered via a second cable (9 pin rounded). This was unusual back in the days but helped them build silent systems. PCs usually were built with the power unit in the computer and then needed cooling.

Amstrad PC (chapter 1.21):
Amstrad PC Technical Reference Manual

Amstrad PPC (chapter 1.20):
Amstrad PPC Technical Reference Manual

So, you can use an original Amstrad 1640 MD, CD, ECD monitor to power the PPC.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Bryce

Ye, I was suggesting he took power from that 14pin connection.

Bryce.